Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tvo_

New to the forums and looking for garden buddies! Denver, CO

TVo_
13 years ago

Hello! I just discovered this site in a search to find some more people who garden in my area.

I'm in Downtown Denver in the Capital Hill area.

I did my first garden last year and this year I'm a whole lot more organized. I'm looking for people to chat with about successes and failures and just general gardening stuff.

Anyway, hi!

Taylor

Comments (8)

• Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Hi TVo,

Welcome to RMG! This is a great, fun and friendly forum for connecting with people here in the Metro area and all over the Rocky Mountain west! You might want to check out the Spring Swap thread to see if that's something you'd be interested in. We have one in fall too, and the swaps are about the only place where we actually get together with each other--they're a really good place where you can meet in person some of the folks who post here (and pick up a few plants in the bargain!)

You might want to enable private messaging so it's possible for other members to contact you directly if they should want to. You can do that without making your email address publicly visible (or you can make your address visible to other members if you chose to).

Glad to have you here. I hope you'll decide to actively participate on the forum--help us answer people's questions, ask your own questions, or just start a general discussion thread about whatever you're interested in.

Happy gardening,
    Skybird

• TVo_
    Original Author
    13 years ago

That's exactly what I'm hoping to do; participate and help and just chat.

I will definitely check out the Spring Swap and if it's close by you can bet I'll be there.

I can even bring some wormies! (If I have enough)

I love the idea of plant sharing and a place to ask questions. I'm quite excited about this ;)

Turning on private message abilities now.

P.S. Not to sound like a twit, but this website hurts my eyes. Anyone else find it difficult to navigate?

• Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado
    13 years ago

This swap is gonna be at my house--128th and Colorado Blvd. For you, up I25 to 120th and then east a couple miles! The location varies, but so far we've managed to have one on the north end and one on the south end each year. That helps some of the people who come from Colorado Springs and other points south, or Ft. Collins and other places up that-a-way! If you haven't already checked it out, the very first post on the swap thread has all the basic info about what happens and how we do it.

Re GardenWeb!!! I'm used to the way it looks and how it works, but it's an ancient site, and there are a LOT of problems! As you'll probably discover, you can't copy/paste from Word (or from site to site)--it turns quotes, dashes and other things into gobbledygook, you can't edit or delete posts, things appear, disappear, get stuck, etc! Occasionally people can't sign in! For some of us, our "zones" have morphed into something more "artistic" than useful! (That's what happens when you copy/paste!) And my bio, which really used to be on my "bio page," disappeared, and it won't let me put anything back in---at least not without adding a whole bunch of information that I didn't need to give them when I first signed up! In spite of all those problems, GW really is the best gardening forum on the web, so we all still hang out here!

One thing you might want to know, if you start a new thread and want to put a link to something, type in your text and then hit "preview," and then a box will magically appear on the bottom where you can paste a URL and name it whatever you want to. That used to be there BEFORE you hit preview! (If you want to use live links in the text, you need to use HTML code---I think it's called!)

And if you're running into the green underlined in-text advertising links, you can disable them by going to the link below and clicking on "disable." That way you don't need to worry about accidentally mousing over one of them and having a BIG, obnoxious box suddenly blocking what you're trying to read!

Just a couple Helpful Hints to help you find your way around our Antique site! It really IS the best gardening forum, and I've never found anything else even remotely close to RMG!

Hope I haven't scared you away,
    Skybird

P.S. One more Helpful Hint! You might want to get used to copying your text quickly before you click preview! It doesn't seem to happen very often anymore, but every now and then your post will DISAPPEAR between typing it and its actually showing up in the thread! Really bad--especially if it's a long post! If you have it copied, you can just paste it back in and try again! (On the other hand! This doesn't happen much anymore either, but every now and then a post will "duplicate itself," sometimes HOURS later! Keeps life interesting!!!)

Here is a link that might be useful: Disable In-Text Advertising!

• luckybottom
    13 years ago

Hi Taylor,

Welcome to the forum! Fun place to learn and share.

If you hold down the crl button and use the scroll on your mouse it will enlarge and reduce the text. Not sure if that is what you mean by "hurts my eyes".

Bonnie

• kvenkat
    13 years ago

Hey there Taylor,
    Welcome to the forums.
    We have a great bunch of people here with lots of helpful information.

Kim

• Dan _Staley (5b Sunset 2B AHS 7)
    13 years ago

Welcome. In my view, this site is unusable in IE. Firefox only.

Dan

• TVo_
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hey, thanks for the welcomes!

I do plan on joining everyone at the Spring Swap.

I'll try to start posting in threads regularly.

Are there any cool threads where everyone posts their own garden or any fun little customizations they have up? I don't want to post something that is already there.

Also, for those of you who have ever experienced a time when you spend ages typing something only to have it erased and yourself cursing at your monitor, check out the Lazarus Form Recovery addon for all the major browsers. By far the most life saving browser addon I've ever used. It saves your text from situations like that UP TO YOUR LAST WORD no matter what. Do yourself a favor and check it out!

If it wasn't obvious, I work with computers :) If you guys have any questions about programs or anything I'd love to do my part and help out. I hope to show everyone my little program for keeping track of my garden this year if I ever get around to finishing it.

Does anyone else use any sort of computer type program to keep track of their gardens and harvest dates?

Wow, this post is a bit long. Talk to you soon!

Taylor

Here is a link that might be useful: Lazarus

• gjmancini
    13 years ago

welcome to the forum.

Gloria