Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
luckybottom

Congress passing bill requiring use of chemicals

luckybottom
15 years ago

Got an email today that suggests that this bill is two weeks from passing: a bill REQUIRING use of CHEMICALS on all cultivated soils to protect the public. It seems that the sponsorÂs husband is on MonsantoÂs payroll plus, this bill has 40 sponsors. It will include backyard gardens that grow food only for a family and not for sales.

If this passes then NO more heirloom clean seeds will be allowed, but only Monsanto genetically altered seeds that are now showing up with unexpected diseases in humans.

H.R. 875, The Food Safety Modernization Act of 2009

Best thing to do is go to Get in touch with your congressman all you have to do is put in your zip and it will give you your congressperson and how to get in touch with them.

Bonnie

Comments (7)

• dafygardennut
    15 years ago

There is another thread discussing this issue. I don't recall any portion of the bill requiring the use of chemicals, I believe it mentions regulating the amount of pesticide used whether you are using natural methods or chemicals, and there was nothing about seeds, genetically altered or otherwise.

Jen

Here is a link that might be useful: HR 875 thread

• colokid
    15 years ago

I all ways wonder where all this BS comes from.
    Some people even believe it.
    Ken

• jaliranchr
    15 years ago

Bonnie, there are a lot of scare things going around associated with HR 875. It is not what a lot are making it out to be. Here is a debunk and here is another. Best to go research it not just accept at face value. :)

• luckybottom
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The following is what the bill says:

SEC. 201. ADMINISTRATION OF NATIONAL PROGRAM.
    (a) In General- The Administrator shall--
    (2) ensure that persons who produce, process, or distribute food (product intended to be used for food or drink for a human) meet their responsibility to prevent or minimize food safety hazards related to their products.

(c) Program Elements- In carrying out the program, the Administrator shall--
    (3) require and enforce the adoption of preventive process controls in food establishments, based on the best available scientific and public health considerations and best available technologies;

SEC. 206. FOOD PRODUCTION FACILITIES.
    (c) Regulations- Not later than 1 year after the date of the enactment of this Act, the Administrator, in consultation with the Secretary of Agriculture and representatives of State departments of agriculture, shall promulgate regulations to establish science-based minimum standards for the safe production of food by food production facilities (any farm, ranch, orchard, vineyard, aquaculture facility, or confined animal-feeding operation). Such regulations shallÂ
    (3) include, with respect to growing, harvesting, sorting, and storage operations, minimum standards related to fertilizer use, nutrients, hygiene, packaging, temperature controls, animal encroachment, and water;

I did reaseach and believe the bill includes individuals growing food and that the Administrator will set science-based minimum standards related to fertilizer use.

• jaliranchr
    15 years ago

But you said the email "suggests" it is two weeks from passing. It was introduced Feb. 4, 2009 and has only gone to two committees, they haven't even voted in committee. Passage is not imminent at all. By all means, call your congress critters if you are opposed. They are there to represent you, not companies, but there IS a lot of hysteria about this going around.

Here is a link that might be useful: Opencongress HR 875

• Dan _Staley (5b Sunset 2B AHS 7)
    15 years ago

I think there is some organized movement to make the opposition to 875 look like fools. Just a thought.

But I've been doing this sort of thing for a long time, and my dad before me, and I'd put money on it that there is a PR firm out there fomenting some of this ridiculous hysteria.

Dan

• dafygardennut
    15 years ago

The problem is the definitions of "food production facility". There are 5 different classifications, each one requiring different levels of inspection. It is my understanding that the basis is for facilities who are growing, storing, processing food etc that will be sold to the general public, and not to the home grower.

It's one of those things where they deliberately keep certain aspects vague until they get a better idea of what kind of feedback it gets so they can amend it at a later date. Mostly this bill is dividing the current responsibilities of the FDA and setting up guiding practices for standards and inspections in the event of E. coli, salmonella, etc outbreaks to make it easier to trace it back to the source. Has anyone compared this to what the current FDA guidelines are related to food processing facilities?