Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dry Beans

Posted by TVo_ Denver (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 8, 11 at 16:10

Has anyone had any success growing dry beans here in Denver/Colorado? I hear it's actually a pretty good place to grow them and they are quite drought tolerant. I have some bare spots (by the road) and I would love to cultivate them a bit and they're just sitting there being dry gross earth. I would love to put a big big patch of dry beans (which I love to slow cook) out there and since they are drought tolerant I would be able to go easy on watering them.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dry Beans

I don't do it myself, but have friends who grow an assortment of bush beans to dry, and I've been given samples of their handiwork. This is good stuff - like anything else homegrown, dried beans taste remarkably better than store-bought ones. I'd say go for it, but keep in mind that eating them at "shelly bean' stage is a real treat.

This year I did buy seed for black-eyed peas, because if I can catch them at the right moment, fully formed but not yet drying, they're wonderful.

o
RE: Dry Beans

• Posted by keen101 4b CO Loveland (My Page) on
    Wed, Jul 13, 11 at 23:49

I planted several kinds of native beans this spring which are native to the four corners area. Yeah, beans do great around here. Not many people grow them though, but whatever. Hopefully I'll get a good crop to build up my seeds for next year.

Zuni Gold Bean
Anasazi Bean
Rio Zape Bean
Black N.M. Appaloosa
Red N.M. Appaloosa

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here