Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
singcharlene

What are you direct sowing in the ground right now?

singcharlene
14 years ago

I'm going to go out right after type this and direct sow some spinach and lettuce and put a double layer of frost blanket covering over it.

I usually have spinach coming up really early so that we're enjoying by the end of April or early May but this year it didn't come up in the raised bed. I see a few patches of spinach growing on the ground NEXT to the raised bed intermixed with weeds. Maybe I spilled some seed?

My parsley and cilantro are starting to sprout. I haven't put out any new seed in my parsley patch for a few years now.

What are you planting out now? I know Skybird starts peas and sweet pea seed out in the garden early.

Just wondering if now is too early? Maybe with some protection?

Major case of spring fever!!

Charlene

Comments (15)

• Dan _Staley (5b Sunset 2B AHS 7)
    14 years ago

I have in right now:

o 2 vars of bush peas
    o 2 vars of lettuce
    o Mizuna
    o Potatoes
    o 2 vars of onion
    o Shallot

The peas and potatoes are up and happy.

Dan

• highalttransplant
    14 years ago

I direct sowed some onions a couple of weeks ago, but they aren't up yet. Had planned to sow carrots this weekend, but have been too busy, and it's been too cold and windy anyway. Maybe I'll get to it one day this week. Radishes will be sown in the next couple of weeks as well. Lettuces and peas were wintersown, and are up now. Not sure when I'll plant them out though.

Bonnie

• laura_42
    14 years ago

In the raised beds --

Strawberries "Fort Laramie" and "Eversweet" (bundled roots, planted and covered with a layer of protective mulch)

Asparagus "Jersey Giant" (bundled roots, planted in 6 inch trenches with row cover)

Brussels sprouts "Jade Cross E" (transplants, also with row cover)

Shallots, onions and radish seeds might go directly in during the upcoming week, as well.

• digit
    14 years ago

Charlene, my planting has been put on hold up here. Linked below is that soil temperature map that I drag out regularly. During the warm spell we had a week or 2 ago, I measured the temperature in the most protected area of my yard. At 2", it was 41°F.

You can see from the chart that nothing will germinate, or nothing will germinate in less than 2 weeks at that temperature. Average daily temperature has been lower than 41° since last Sunday, so . . . ¿aanh?.

I don't think there was any harm in my planting of onion sets and plants, shallots, and spinach seed about 2 weeks ago. I put in the potatoes a few days later.

If I was to follow Golden Harvest Organics "Nature's Signs" page -- I would be planting peas right now: "When the daffodils begin to bloom it is time to plant peas. . . When the common lilac plant has leafed out plant lettuce, peas and other cool weather varieties. . . When you hear spring peepers (a type of frog), itÂs time to plant peas." (Well, if I have to wait for the last one, I'm afraid that the peas would never be planted. ;o)

Still, I'll plant only the smooth-seeded peas 1st and use my own "sign" (flowering of the Oregon Grape) before I'm willing to put any of the wrinkled guys in the ground.

Lettuce and Asian greens are up and growing in my plastic tunnel. I even had some already going in the greenhouse and they have been moved out into the tunnel. Soon, I'll have flats of these things to transplant out into the open garden. Probably, I should sow some radish seeds outdoors or my first spring salads will be all green . . .

digitSteve

Here is a link that might be useful: Days to Germination - Soil Temperature (°F)

• david52 Zone 6
    14 years ago

Here, local lore has it that ya plant peas on Good Friday. I didn't, because I'm still giving my garden a 'make over' with new raised beds, tummy tuck, and hair implants. but it isn't easy because the ground is still too wet, and the soil doesn't till very well and it's heavy.

Plan here is to till 4 foot wide the pathways, pull that soil up onto the 4 foot wide beds.

14 years ago

The MIL wanted me to keep a seed badada & plant on Good Friday, because goldurnit that's when they go in. My soil was ready two weeks ago and the nights aren't too cold any more hereabouts.

Some of my carrots can go in now, others want to wait until last frost...

Dan

• autodidact
    14 years ago

Planted snow peas, snap peas, chard, lettuce, mesclun, arugula, shallots, carrots and radishes this morning. Wish me luck! :)

• highalttransplant
    14 years ago

Hmmmm ... I've heard St. Patrick's Day rather than Good Friday, as far as planting peas. Works for me anyway : )

• mayberrygardener
    14 years ago

Got carrots, lettuce, radish, beets, spinach and will have peas (snap and sugar) planted before I go to bed tonight. Oh, and onion sets.

Next weekend (and would have been yesterday, if not for the cold wind): potatoes & shallots. I have some onion seeds on order--gonna try cipollinis this year, but it may already be too late. We're trying to figure out how to do the potatoes--there's no "in-ground" in our garden, so we're examining container options. Possibly a lasagna potato garden, but it's over by the dog run (as in... doggie doo in the near vicinity, but still "downhill" from the lasagna patch) where we usually do sunflowers for the birds and a humongous hollyhock compliments of greenbean at last year's swap. Still, it's probably the best soil for taters--nice and soft and "composty." What do you all think? Not as deep, so maybe not as much frost protection, either...

• mcfaroff
    14 years ago

so far, the arugula, parsley,some herbs are up. Planted this spring(?) Ft Laramie strawberries, lettuce, poppies, chamomile,and wheat are in. planning soon, peas and broccoli. Mayberrygardener I hear a great way to do potatoes is in a barrel. Put soil, straw in add starts then as they come up add more cover to keep the potatoes from turning green.Gloria

• kareng_grow
    14 years ago

I have spinach in from last year coming up and tasting fabulous. My Fort Laramie and Guinaualt strawberries are well. Lots of raspberry shoots coming up. It's still too cold to start seeds in the greenhouse since recorded temperatures for the last week out there have gotten down to and some nights have briefly dipped below freezing. We're at 7300 feet.
    I will try my hand at putting potatoes in a couple of old tires. Not sure what I'm doing there but will give it a try. I've heard planting potatoes in tires helps keep them warm enough to survive a frost. I'll be direct sowing peas here soon and covering them with 2 liter bottles to help keep them warm.

14 years ago

I've given up on the potatoes in container thing. Apparently I don't have the knack for it, altho from some of the pix on other forums on this website, there are folks that have figgered it out and get decent yields. I have ~24sf in the raised bed in potatoes now & repurposed the container soil into the landscape beds where the sunflowers go.

Dan

• david52 Zone 6
    14 years ago

I've got a bumper crop of the Evergreen bunching onions back, but they still need 'something' to get them crunchy again. Not much else, outside the greenhouse.

I may have related my tale of trying container potatoes - long story short, I had my neighbor, a guy who used to raise potatoes commercially, visiting and decided to tip the 30 gal container over, since it had foliage on top for 3 or 4 months. Got maybe a quart of marble sized potatoes.

Needless to say, my neighbor enjoyed this.

• gjcore
    14 years ago

In the last few days I've put quite a few peas into the ground. They're going into a new area on the southside of the house. Not sure how they'll do there time will tell. 2 rows are still in shade from the fence. I think they'll be fine there but it'll be a couple years before the soil is improved over there. I also put peas in the ground about 3 weeks ago and they seem to be doing well.

Yesterday in went beets, mustard greens, Amish lettuce and endive. First time I'm growing beets :-)

Then in my pathways I've planted dutch white clover (about 2 weeks ago) and alfalfa yesterday. Not sure how that's going to work out with foot and wheelbarrow traffic. The clover is coming up fast. I also want to plant some sort of grass in the pathways but haven't found any yet or maybe plant something else.

A few flower seeds went in today also Hollyhocks and Moss Rose into an raised "herb spiral". It very well may wind up being a flower spiral. :-)

• austinnhanasmom
    14 years ago

I planted peas a few weeks ago and tossed out columbines as I winter sowed them.

Soon, I'll direct sow:

marigolds
    nasturtiums
    coneflowers
    zinnias
    calendula
    larkspur
    CA poppy
    annual poppy
    peony poppy
    morning glory
    cornflower
    nigella
    stock
    4 O Clocks
    Lavatera
    Datura
    coleus
    portulaca
    sunflower
    amaranthus
    cosmos
    salvia
    clarkia
    snapdragon

Then, the issue will be how to keep from disturbing the above seeds when I plant the winter sown perennials.

Happy Gardening ALL