Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Spring Bulbs - Pretty Pictures!

Posted by skybird z5, Denver, CO (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 16, 14 at 17:25

Hi all,

I put some of my pics in WebAlbums so I could post a couple pics on another thread and I thought maybe we could all use a Fix after the cold/rain/snow we had, so I'm gonna post some of my spring bulb pics here. Color is so important to me after a long winter with short days, and I can only assume that others can't wait to get out and see things start to bloom too! I was planning to do this a couple weeks ago but just didn't get around to it!

Come join me with pics of bulbs and other things you have blooming already. Maybe it'll give the folks who don't have any color yet some hope!

My crocus are done now, but here are some of the ones I had this year. Species crocus seem to be the most "reliable" spring bulb for me. The species and variety names are on the pics if you click on them if anybody wants to know what they are.

Ipheion uniflorum 'Wisley Blue'. Squirrels TOTALLY rototilled these bulbs (and, dare I say, ATE a bunch of them!) three years ago, and this is the first time they've bloomed really well for me. And they just keep going and going and going......

Chionodoxa forbesii. This stuff is hard to take pics of because of the way the light reflects off of the white in the center! I also have a patch of these planted around my grapevine, and immediately after I planted them the squirrels dug down at least 6-7" digging them up--to eat I assume! I worried that they may have messed with the grape roots too much, but it seems to have survived The Assault! The Chionodoxa are still a little sparse in that patch, but at least some of them made it and I'm hoping they start to multiply! (These pics are of a different patch!)

Puschkinia libanotica, striped squill. These are new for me! Got them on sale late last fall and they didn't get planted till January!

And these are my "new" 'King Alfred' daffodils--also from that sale, and also planted in January! That's all from SIX bulbs! They were REALLY good bulbs! (I really love those little Puschkinia!) If anybody wonders why I have a cairn in my garden, It's My Own Personal Cairn so I'll "never get lost in a National Park again!!!" In fall of '07 I got lost at the end of a trail after following fake cairns people had built, and wound up spending the nite under a rock (to keep dry--it rained)! The next year it behooved me to build My Own Personal Cairn, and, yeah, I know it isn't gonna keep me from getting lost again, but I like it! And a couple of the rocks are from the National Park where I got lost! (Don't tell anybody!)

I also have Pulsatilla blooming, pasque flower. I got these as seedlings at the 2010 Spring Swap, and this is the first year they're big enough to really be blooming well for me. (Last year they FROZE!) Pulsatilla is really cool because after the flowers they develop pretty round seedheads that last quite a long time.

And these pics are from a couple years ago, but these things are either blooming now or are already done for this year. Just don't have recent pics of them!

Eranthus hyemalis. These things are pretty interesting! They don't have any foliage except a little ring of green right at the base of the flower. The come up and bloom and then the foliage, the "green ring," lasts for 2 or 3 weeks and they're gone again! But they come up with the crocus, so they're really early and help with the Early Fix I need! This is another Squirrelus obnoxiousii plant! When they're blooming the squirrels seem to think I'm growing salad for them, and if I don't want the flowers to all disappear I need to keep chicken wire over them!

Plain old grape hyacinths! They spread all over the place, but they're still nice for early color! You won't believe how I got this bunch of them started! When I divided my original plant into three bunches 4 or 5 years ago I had a bunch of teensy-tiny little bulblets left in the soil in the tray I had divided them in. I wanted some at the bottom of this tree, but couldn't dig down in enough, close enough, to plant one of the bunches there, so I just dug out as much soil as I could right against the tree and dumped the soil with the teensy-tiny bulblets into the hole and filled it back up with soil. The first spring I was surprised how many grew, and by the second spring there was a nice little clump of them. NONE of the bulbs/bulblets were even an eighth of an inch, they were barely visible!

And these are 'Valerie Finnis' grape hyacinths. I got them 'cause I love the light blue color! They're gonna probably spread all over too--but I do love the color! They're just starting to bloom in this pic, they get quite a bit bigger than the "regular" purple ones!

I have Primula and rockcress and my omnipresent purple johnny-jump-ups blooming too, but don't have current pics of them.

What's blooming in your yard?

Skybird

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Spring Bulbs - Pretty Pictures!

I love seeing all these pictures, especially since you've labeled the crocus by variety! I'll jot them down for the fall.

I also love Pushkinia, especially in large clumps.

I don't have any good pictures of stuff blooming this year other than what I've already posted, just some nice ones from previous years.

o

Lovely! Just love them, Skybird!

As many of those who have been around for some time know, my Grandmother on my Dad's side of the family was a huge gardening influence on my life. She could make anything grow with old fashioned ways and patience. Lilacs completely surrounded her house and ohhhh, the scent in spring!

After the tornado that tore through our town 6-6-90, her house was badly damaged, she was in the early stages of Alzheimers and it made no sense to fix the place. Before we tore it down, while all the other family members were gathering things inside, I was outside digging up her beloved tulip bulbs.

She raised six kids during the Dust Bowl/Depression and watched her pennies. I *know* she got these bulbs in the bargain bin at Gambles or the Dime Store. They must have been quite ordinary at the time.

For years, I have scoured websites and catalogs for this exact tulip with no luck. Very close at times, but not this one. They probably fell out of favor.

But I have them. I don't have the proper name, but they are "Grandma Tulips" to me and I've shared them far and wide because they are so lovely. Then again, they came from a lovely lady.

o

Skybird, I love your cairn!

Jaliranchr, I love the "Grandma tulips". Those are really beautiful and very sentimental. That made me tear up a little.

o

• Posted by kousa Zone 6 (My Page) on
    Wed, Apr 16, 14 at 22:09

Very nice. Thank you for sharing your flower photos. They brighten my day.

o

• Posted by ZachS z5 Littleton, CO (My Page) on
    Wed, Apr 16, 14 at 23:47

All the flowers look (looked?) amazing. I love bulbs, but never have grown any.

I never have grown any flowers to be honest, and the only color we have is some worn out lilacs that just kind of tried to grow on their own on the side of the house. Tried some flower seeds for the first time this year, but, the prospects don't look good. Definitely jealous of you guys who have such nice landscaping!

After reading A Sand County Almanac (several times by now) I was always intrigued with Leopold's deference for the pasque flower, but never even looked up a picture, and this is the first time I've ever seen one. I can see why he was so enamored of it.

This post was edited by ZachS on Wed, Apr 16, 14 at 23:59

o

Love all the pretty pictures!
The only spring bulbs I have are irises. Too soon for those yet.

o

I have/had some spring color as well, Skybird :) Here are some of mine:

Angelique tulip, bulbs I got from TreeBarb a couple of swaps ago - first time to bloom (last year, they froze in the bud stage and didn't open after that). I really love this flower - so pretty!

Queen of Night tulip, again one I received from TreeBarb same swap I got the Angelique - and same story on the blooming! Such a rich color - love it! Going to be another favorite of mine! You can also see in this pic that the iris next to it will be blooming soon:

Hyacinths in the front yard bloomed out already, but have a few in the back yard that bloomed later. I covered them during the last snow to protect them and the Bleeding Heart next to them (I transplanted this a few weeks ago, so happy it is happy in it's new spot and beginning to bloom) - glad it worked!

Pulmonaria (Lungwort/Borage family):

That's all I took pics of, but my couple of daffadils have already bloomed out (the cold snap/snow bent them over, so I picked them and enjoyed them in a vase for a couple of days). Also have ajuga, primrose, a few Johnny Jump ups, apple tree and quince blooming now.

Skybird - I love your cairn, Squill (just learned about this plant, so interesting you posted a pic! Such a funny name - sounds like marine life LOL. It's really tiny, isn't it? Very pretty!), Pulsatilla (leaves remind me of gazania), and Crocus.

Jailranchr - such lovely tulips!! And what a great story/momento!!

Marj
Happy Spring/Easter!

This post was edited by mstywoods on Sun, Apr 20, 14 at 11:59

o

I love your tulips, Jali! And I love your story that goes with them even more! It's always special for me when I know something came from somebody at a swap, but knowing yours came from your grandmother makes them even extra special! Was that the year the tornado "went down main street" in Limon? It must be! I was watching the weather on TV that day, flipping channels, seems to me there were tornados all over the place that day, and all of a sudden the radar went down--on ALL the channels! The "old fashioned" radar came from Limon back then, and the radar station was taken out! It was barely 10 minutes, as I recall, when the stations got radar up and running again and they were picking it up from doppler radar at the airport. That was the day all the stations switched over to doppler radar--rather unexpectedly! And it was pretty freaky to be watching TV that day, 'cause when the "old" radar suddenly "went away," everybody knew for sure that something very serious had happened in Limon, but it was a while before anybody could confirm how bad it really was. I'm glad your grandmother stayed safe in that storm! And glad you have her tulips for such a very special memory.

Misty, I usually like tulips that Look Like Tulips, but that pink and white one of yours is sure pretty! It almost looks like a rose! Love your black one too! I got some 'Ronaldo' tulips from Barb a couple years ago and they're a very, very dark red too. Here's a pic. They froze badly last year, the foliage too, and I didn't know if I'd get any flowers at all this year, but they seem to have recovered amazingly well! The species tulips in front were on sale last fall and were another one of the things I didn't get planted till late January. I had no idea when they'd come up this year! Was hoping they might bloom at the same time as the 'Ronaldo' but they didn't even start to come up until a little over a week ago so I had kind of given up on that happening. Then on Friday the first one started to open, and look at them today! The timing couldn't possibly have been better! The species tulip is Tulipa kaufmanniana 'Heart's Delight'. In the second pic you can see that the foliage is striped with purple! I hope they both bloom at the same time again next year!

The 'King Alfred' dafs I posted above are going downhill fast at this point, but I have other, non-bulb, things starting to bloom all over the place! It's amazing how fast it's happening this year!

This is Erysimum kotschyanum 'Orange Flame'. It's just starting to open, will be covered with flowers by the end of the week. I love it because of the color--there are very few perennials this color, and in Real Life it's even more orange than in the pic. I call it "crayon orange!"

This is Phlox douglasii 'Cracker Jack'. And this one really is the shocking color just like it looks in the pic! It's not an easy one to grow--parts of it die off every year, but I've been able to keep it alive at least!

And here are some of my plain old everyday primroses! They're so pretty, and the yellow (and white) ones are very fragrant. The "blue" one is really purple! I've never been able to get a pic of that one that comes out right! They've been blooming for a good month already. The purple stuff on the left is some of my Omnipresent Violas! (That one comes out purple in the pics, so why doesn't the primrose???)

And this one is more of the purple violas with Arabis arendsii 'Compinkie' on the left, and the Ipheion uniflorum 'Rolf Fiedler' in the top right corner. (I accidentally named the Ipheion wrong in the pics in my original post! I called it 'Wisley Blue', which I have too, but the ones in the pics here and above are really 'Rolf Fiedler'. I corrected the caption on the pic itself.)

And this isn't really a flower--but they always look like flowers to me when they change colors! This is the hen & chicks I have labeled "L", and they're starting to turn their "spring color." In another week or so the inside will be a solid deep red while the tips stay green. The first year I saw these changing color I thought I was imagining things!!! (The couple little light blue star flowers at the top of the pic are Ipheion 'Wisley Blue'! Not many flowers this year, and they're very similar to the other one!)

Anybody else have spring things blooming now? Even if they're not bulbs!

Skybird

o

Jailirannchr, I love your tulips and story as well!

Skybird, I love the 'Heart's Delight' Crocus, and have jotted them down in my notes as one to look for in the fall.

I'm surprised to see your Ipheion; I was told that I couldn't grow them here because they were not hardy enough for Colorado Springs. I've always wanted them, and they look really pretty behind your violas.

I like the picture below because it shows how nicely the Tulipa 'Tarda' look together with the green and yellow Iris pallida. The brown patches are the beginnings of my Himalayan Border Jewel (don't remember the Latin!) and the green mounds to the right are a sterile :) version of catmint which looks really nice later with the purple blooms of the Iris pallida.

o

• Posted by ZachS z5 Littleton, CO (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 22, 14 at 15:28

All your guy's great looking landscapes inspired me this weekend. Although, I cheated and bought started plants.

The tulips and the Siberian iris just started opening this morning, and I have some other stuff to plant once the weather makes a pretty for sure turn.

I have better pictures, but I only know how to post one at a time.

o

I love Siberian Iris!!

o

I just took this this morning. I think the Pulsatilla behind the tulips is a nice combination. I don't remember exactly what the tulips are; I'm not even sure if they've bloomed for me before! They look to me like they may be a Clusiana variety, but I'm not sure. This is definitely the most blooms my Pulsatilla has ever produced.

o

I'm loving your tulips Skybird and Katgardener - really different! And I really love that Pulsatilla - will have to look for some of that to join my garden :)

My deep purple iris is blooming today. Wish I new the name of the variety, believe I got it at one of the swaps - here's a pic:

o

Loving all the pictures. So nice to see life and vivid color after a long winter! Thank you all for sharing!

o

• Posted by lezro 6b-7 W CO (My Page) on
    Tue, May 6, 14 at 23:56

Must play too. I think these are Maywonder tulips but I don't know for sure. This is from last month; now we are all awash in irises!

o

The tulips are beautiful, and the bleeding hearts behind them are as well.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here