Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Jerusalem Artichokes

Posted by treebarb Z5 CO (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 27, 10 at 17:32

I just swapped some toms for some lilacs and rspberries and the lady threw in some Jerusalem artichokes for me. She said she doesn't know much about them.
I know nothing about this plant, will read up. Do any of you grow them and are they very invasive? I have plenty of room but am interested in your experiences with them.
Thanks,
Barb

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Jerusalem Artichokes

In CA, a friend had them and her outlook was she was going to have them forever, as there was no way she was going to dig all of them up. She didn't stay on top of them.

They'll make it over here and their tops are definitely cool looking and you'll likely enjoy having them (kind of like a Maximilian sunflower, which I have here).

BUT. You have to harvest them every year and save 2-3-4 for next year, else they'll get out of control (my friend failed to do this). If you've had sunchokes in the store or a restaurant, that's what they are, good starch and different. And you'll have the tops too.

Dan

o

Thanks, Dan! I think I have just the spot for them, easy digging since I'll be doing a lot of it with them. I am a sunflower and daisy fan, so I think I'll like them. I don't believe I've ever eaten one but expanding my veggie intake would be a good thing.
Barb

o

I've had these in two very different areas. In Salt Lake, they grew in a very well kept clump, and rarely needed any extra care.

In Albuquerque, they were incredibly invasive and I ended up ripping them all out 'cuz they were so annoying! :D

o

Bob, thanks. I hope it's the former and not the latter here. A little maintenance is ok and at least I know before I plant them.

Barb

o

It's the cold that keeps them in check.

Dan

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here