Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
treebarb

Jerusalem Artichokes

treebarb Z5 Denver
13 years ago

I just swapped some toms for some lilacs and rspberries and the lady threw in some Jerusalem artichokes for me. She said she doesn't know much about them.

I know nothing about this plant, will read up. Do any of you grow them and are they very invasive? I have plenty of room but am interested in your experiences with them.

Thanks,

Barb

Comments (5)

• Dan _Staley (5b Sunset 2B AHS 7)
    13 years ago

In CA, a friend had them and her outlook was she was going to have them forever, as there was no way she was going to dig all of them up. She didn't stay on top of them.

They'll make it over here and their tops are definitely cool looking and you'll likely enjoy having them (kind of like a Maximilian sunflower, which I have here).

BUT. You have to harvest them every year and save 2-3-4 for next year, else they'll get out of control (my friend failed to do this). If you've had sunchokes in the store or a restaurant, that's what they are, good starch and different. And you'll have the tops too.

Dan

• treebarb Z5 Denver
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, Dan! I think I have just the spot for them, easy digging since I'll be doing a lot of it with them. I am a sunflower and daisy fan, so I think I'll like them. I don't believe I've ever eaten one but expanding my veggie intake would be a good thing.
    Barb

• abq_bob
    13 years ago

I've had these in two very different areas. In Salt Lake, they grew in a very well kept clump, and rarely needed any extra care.

In Albuquerque, they were incredibly invasive and I ended up ripping them all out 'cuz they were so annoying! :D

• treebarb Z5 Denver
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Bob, thanks. I hope it's the former and not the latter here. A little maintenance is ok and at least I know before I plant them.

Barb

• Dan _Staley (5b Sunset 2B AHS 7)
    13 years ago

It's the cold that keeps them in check.

Dan