Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
peace_rose_gw

Planted grapes in partial shade - oops!

peace_rose
14 years ago

Hi, I'm here in Denver. Just planted 2 bare root grapes along my chainlink fence, which runs east to west, about 5 feet north of the neighbor's house. I was thinking it was a full sun location -- and come summer -- it will be. But for now the neighbor's house is shading it. I think it will be another 6 weeks or so until the sun gets high enough in the sky. So I'm just wondering what the chances are of getting these established in a partially shady spot? Thanks for the advice Rocky Mountain friends!

peace_rose

Comments (7)

• gjcore
    14 years ago

The vines are only 5 feet from your neighbor's house or your neighbor's fence? Either way they'll probably be okay but it's also not too late to scout out a new location and replant. Last year I planted my first grapevine and it seemed to do okay though it was shaded quite a bit by corn. This year I'm not planting anything too tall near it.

• Dan _Staley (5b Sunset 2B AHS 7)
    14 years ago

One story or two story? How long is the wall of the house? Etc. I can easily whip up a shade path as I'm writing a paper about this very thing now. More information needed for good feedback.

Dan

• peace_rose
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The vines are right next to the fence.
    The fence (and therefore the vines, too) is located 5 feet north of the neighbor's house.
    The neighbor's house is one story; the highest point is about 14 feet high. The roof-line directly "to the south as the crow flies" is about 11 feet high. I'd estimate the house is about 30 foot long, east to west. It's a Denver Ranch, built 1945, if you can imagine that. :)

Let me know if there's any other info that would be helpful - I didn't even know there was such a thing as a "shade path!" Thanks so much!
    peace_rose

• gjcore
    14 years ago

Overall it doesn't sound like the best place for a grapevine but gardeners often have to take compromises.

• peace_rose
    Original Author
    14 years ago

We'll keep our fingers crossed; part of my motivation is to cover up the ugly chain-link fence!

• Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado
    14 years ago

Hi Peace,

If you don't have enough sun, you may not get grapes, but it'll still cover the fence for you! You may be surprised to find there's more sun than you think when the days get a little bit longer. I have a two story house facing south, and in the middle of summer even my "shade stuff" right up against the back of the house gets direct sun in the middle of the day.

When they start to grow, train the vines laterally at or near the bottom of the fence in the beginning. They'll grow "up" naturally, and by starting them out near the bottom, you'll be able to cover more of the fence, faster than if you just let them grow straight up.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you too!
    Skybird

• Dan _Staley (5b Sunset 2B AHS 7)
    14 years ago

Yes, I suspect that you'll get vegetation but little fruit. You may get some, but issue may be in fall when the heat is absent and cool nights might be a tad cooler in that shade.

Dan

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm