Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bob_in_colorado

Seed Collecting - Plants left in garden over winter

bob_in_colorado
13 years ago

Hello All! I'm new to the forum and very excited to be here. I recently started getting the cold weather stuff planted, (I'm in Falcon, just east of Colorado Springs), and I noticed veges that had stayed on their plants over the winter. Soybeans, peppers, and okra. My question is this.....

Do you guys think the seeds ae still viable? The peppers and okra were still in their dried vegetable state. I'm wondering if that provided them enough protection.

In the past, I'd always kept my seed packets in the garage over the winter with no issues.

The soybean seeds were laying on the ground. In all 3 cases, I buried some in the ground and we'll see if they come up.

Anyone have experience with this? I tried to find info on seed hardiness, but couldn't really find any.

The okra was Clemson spineless, the peppers were mini cascabella, and the soybeans were mixed varieties.

Thanks Everyone!

Bob

Comments (3)

• digit
    13 years ago

. . . another soybean gardener? Welcome to the forum, Bob! Were you using those soybeans for edamame?

"Self seeding" is the term I used in a google seach. I think your best bet may be those peppers just because their relative, the tomato, so often self seeds. But, it must be a little too late to start peppers now in your location. Don't you think? You could collect the seed and sometime before next February or March, test a few of them.

From the get-go, I don't know anything about okra . . .

I really don't think that any bean seed would survive a severe winter out-of-doors. The search did turn up page after google page of an interesting technique that soybean researchers have used on establishing a winter cover crop thru the self sowing of cereal grains. Nothing, however, about soybeans self sowing over the 3 pages I looked at.

Steve

• elkwc
    13 years ago

From my experience and I'm south and east of you in very SW KS. Okra would self sow and probably be ok. I always sow my okra in the garden here around Memorial day weekend the same time I transplant my chile and jalapeno peppers. They both like warm soil temps. If planted in cold soil temps neither will grow much and can be stunted and may not ever produce like they should. When I lived in NE NM several of the chile farmers sowed seeds rather than transplant. And usually had a great late crop. The same thing I have seen here from volunteers I've left. And for several years I had a small ornamental type they could also be ate that self seeded every year. It became a nuisance and I finally removed all of them. But unless you just want to experiment a little I would transplant pepper plants. Gives you an earlier crop. On okra I think you should be fine. Soybeans I've never grown so can't comment on them. Again remember I probably have a longer growing season here and warm up faster also. My last frost date is April 16th. Jay

• bob_in_colorado
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Self sowing? Eureka! The ones I planted last year were from Wannamaker Seeds. Midori Giant and a couple other types.

This year I ordered Beer Friend beans. A very common edamame used in Japan supposedly. I think I'm going to plant them in with the corn.

I do normally transplant the warm weather crops. This is strictly an experiment. I use corn gluten to suppress weed growth so there's only one section that's directly sown. I use a variation of the square foot method. Each vege gets it's own 3x3 plot or more for larger stuff.