Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
colokid

From house to green house

colokid
13 years ago

I am talking tomato plants. I did this OK last year but my memory is not what it used to be. I will have my little GH up in the next few days. I will have a thermostat heater in it set to keep it about 45 degrees or better. Can I go direct from 74 degree house to the GH with out problems? I think I placed a shade over them to keep direct sun off of them for a few days? I don't want to mess up.

KennyP

Comments (7)

• digit
    13 years ago

Well, my house isn't 74F, Kenny, but that's what I do.

Actually, they are going from a 70F refrigerator top to a sunny south window where the temperature overnight drops to 60. Then, once that feeble stage has passed in 2 or 3 days, they go into a greenhouse where it is also about 60 overnight but may be up as high as 80 during the day.

The actual afternoon high in the greenhouse depends on when I can catch it and stop the climb. 80 max

If they've been in a sunny window - I'm not at all concerned about the light in the greenhouse. Sometimes, when they first go in the window - I prop up a piece of clear plastic so the sunlight has to go thru the double window glass and that plastic but that would only be the 1st day off the fridge.

Best of Luck.

Steve

• colokid
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I have them on a table in a East window where they get the morning sun. For a few days while I double check the GH with a max/min thermometer to make sure the heater works.

• tommysmommy
    13 years ago

I'm quite a bit less tender about mine, I had brandywines that got too tall for my light structure so they're in my courtyard now, south exposure, day and night. I should watch the temps for a freeze and take them in at night, but so far so good. The broccolis are out there too. Everything else is still short enough to enjoy indoor lighting for a while. Usually around the 2nd week of May I put them all outside for the day, in for the night, get them ready for planting plus some good full spectrum sunshine. Wish I had a greenhouse!

• digit
    13 years ago

Courtyard? Yeah, that would be nice to have!

The cool-season stuff was moved from the greenhouse into my plastic tunnel about 10 days ago. It can freeze in there and may have a couple of times. Three days ago I moved them out to my "sweet spot" in the backyard thru the day. It has filtered all-day sun and is fairly well protected from wind. Today, it snowed on them -- blown horizontal.

The alternative location is where they now spend the night - on the covered deck. It probably won't freeze up there but the snow was still blowing across it. Poor things, hardening-off shouldn't be so tuff!

All of the onions have been out in the open for about 5 days (including the ones already in the garden). I think I will move those flats down onto the ground for the night. The wind just won't let up on 'em!

Steve

• colokid
    Original Author
    13 years ago

As of yesterday, the GH is done The HF 6 by 8, nice little thing. We mounted it on 4by4s. Built it in the shop and it cleared the door by three quarters of an inch. Lots of hours to put it together. We caulked all panel edges with silicon to reinforce the clips. I just put a 750 watt heater in it on a modified thermostat set at 45 degrees. And one of my remote reading thermometer. Now maybe I can get my kitchen table back. About 60 or 100 tomatoes. Several of each heirloom ones.
    My last year pepper seed just will not sprout, guess I will have to buy a couple of plants. I am getting so I hate to even walk into a commercial supplier cause of contamination.
    Happy KennyP

• digit
    13 years ago

Happy for you, KennyP.

Steve

• gjcore
    13 years ago

What's a HF?