Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
debitinco

Safe to plant ?

DebiTinCO
18 years ago

I am so tempted with all the sunshine and warming temps. Can pansies, and other annuals be planted yet [containers]?

When do veggies [small plants bought from nursery] go in?

I am in Cortez.

Comments (18)

• bpgreen
    18 years ago

I'm not sure where Cortez is, so this may be offbase.

The first year I gardened in Utah, I got to plant three gardens. I would have planted four, except that an article in the paper had a line about how easy it was to identify the newcomers, because they were already putting in their gardens, even though it wasn't the middle of May.

I've since learned to delay until about May 10 (sometimes pushing it).

Having said that, last year, my wife and I were chuckling at all the people who were planting in early to mid April, since we _knew_ they'd be regretting it during the next snowstorm. The next snowstorm didn't come until October or maybe even November, though, so they did just fine.

I guess it's sort of a gamble. If you plant now, you do so with the knowledge that you may be getting a headstart, but you may be getting ready to do the whole thing all over again in a couple of weeks.

• Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado
    18 years ago

Hi debitinco,

Pansies you can put in just about anytime. As long as the place where you're buying them has been keeping them outside, they should be fine. If they've been kept inside, harden them off gradually over several days and then they should be safe outside. Most other annuals and veggies you really should wait a few weeks yet to be safe. With tomatoes you should be able to put them in soon if you use a wall-o-water or some similar type of protection, but I find it's easier to just wait till it's warm enough to not have to worry about them.

Here's a link to the CSU Extension Service office in Montezuma County/Cortez. Call them or stop by and ask them when your last average frost date is, and (most years) you'll be safe planting after that. They can also answer questions about which veggies and flowers you can plant safely earlier. Seed for things like peas, spinach, and lettuce can go in now.

Here is a link that might be useful: CSU Extension Office in Cortez

• oakiris
    18 years ago

Only hardy plants/trees/shrubs that have been hardened off (usually found outside at garden nurseries - real ones, don't go by what some place like Home Depot might have out!) should be planted now, in my experience. The usual "last day of frost" here in Colorado is around May 20th, so no annuals should be planted yet, and this includes almost all vegetables.

skybird's suggestion to call your local extension office is an excellent one; they should be able to give you a lot of gardening information specific to where you live. Or, find a gardening neighbor and pick their brains!!

Holly

• DebiTinCO
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks so much for the useful insight...especially the CSU extension site. Guess I will fight the urge...don't want to plant TOO many extra times!

• mary_max
    18 years ago

We have had snow all day and the temps are low. Glad I did not plant anything out. Although it is hard to wait, I think I will continue to wait it out. Today.....BRRRRR!! It feels like mid winter.

• david52 Zone 6
    18 years ago

Hi Debitinco, I live in the 'hood, and I have my container plants of geraniums outside. Pansies do fine. Fruit trees, well, tonight I've got my fingers crossed.

There are several very high quality nurseries with very knowledgeable people in the area. In no particular order, Four Seasons off the Dolores highway, east on road P., then Let it Grow just opposite the Welcome Center on Mildrid, and Desert Rose on the road to Durango. They all offer prolific, good advice.

I mention them because everyone in the 4 corners, from Durango to Farmington to the towns in Utah, come here to shop for top quality plants.

• wishccr
    18 years ago

The weather is so beautiful, but NOAA says snow and rain on Monday for Loveland, and evening temp of 30. I am at 6,800 feet so I know I have to wait.
    As I was out weeding this morning, I was thinking it was about time for the snakes to come out (we live on a south facing rock cliff and they like to winter there.) Sure 'nuff, a big old bullsnake was enjoying the sun in my rock garden. He scared the heck out of me, but once I retreated to my deck and viewed him with my binoculars, I realized he was one of the good guys, so I'll leave him be and weed my rock garden later, ha!

• ljrmiller
    18 years ago

I'm in probably the warmest spot in my entire zipcode, far Western side of the Great Basin, 4500 feet, high desert.

Pansies are STURDY plants. I plant them in fall as soon as there is a decent selection available at the big box stores. I'd buy at the local nurseries, but they don't get the pansies early enough or have a decent selection because they assume they won't overwinter. I usually then enjoy blooms until the plants are buried by snow, and then as soon as the snow melts. Right now they are just gorgeous. Then they die in the summer heat.

As for everything else, I just buy, plant and hope for the best, because the summer heat kills more than "surprise" freezes and snowstorms do here.

That doesn't include truly frost-tender plants like tomatoes, sweet potato vines, impatiens or cannas. THOSE I don't put out until late May, the weekend of the Master Gardener plant sale (which is where I get the tomatoes and other stuff), because then there's a reasonable chance it won't freeze again until fall. Not guaranteed, but reasonable.

Lisa

• yago
    17 years ago

Heh, I think I blew it. I had some packs of sunflower seeds which I planted a few weeks ago. Mothernature lulled me into a false sense of security with the beautiful April weather even though I know perfectly well to wait until Mother's Day. I have about 80 seedlings popping up. Of course, today is Tuesday and it snowed last night and is quite cold right now! I have every piece of tupperware and clear plastic storage container I own over them now. Not sure if they will make it but, what the heck. If not, I'll pick up a few more packs and replant in a couple of weeks.

Now waiting until Mother's Day,
    ~Yago/Rodney

• paintergurl
    17 years ago

Pansies and hardened-off, hardy perennials can go in now. I've been known to plant hardy perennials and ornamental grasses as soon as the perennials in my garden start to wake up (mid-April). They don't do much until May, but they are OK. Shrubs and bare-root roses (dormant) can go in as early as early April. Leafed-out roses in containers can only be planted in the ground after mid-May here (near Monument, CO).

Spinach can be planted (by seed) early in May (or even late April). Mine overwintered in the remains of my veggie garden and is about 6" tall right now. Spinach prefers cooler weather and doesn't do too well in the heat of summer.

Tender perennials and annuals need to wait until mid or late May to go into the garden. You can plant up containers of annuals now, but be prepared to be bringing them into the garage if the temps get close to freezing.

Tomatoes and peppers can go into the ground in early May only if you use those walls-of-water as protection. Otherwise wait on them until late May, but still be prepared to cover them with something if the temps get cold or frost is predicted. A couple of years ago, we actually had a hard freeze on June 21, so weird things can happen!

Nancy

• coloradobird
    17 years ago

FYI, I found this interesting on last frost date in Colorado rom CSU extension (see link below):
    * Last Denver frost dates: In Denver the last spring frost date at a 50 percent confidence level is May 2nd with a growing season of 157 days. If you want to be 80 percent statistically confident it's May 12th and 90 percent confident, May 18th. All dates are based on 47 years of data. The latest last frost date was June 2, 1951.
    * Last Colorado Springs frost dates: Dates are not very different considering their 6170 feet elevation versus Denver's 5,290 feet. It is May 5th for 50 percent confidence (153 days), May 13th for 80 percent confidence and May 18th for 90 percent confidence based on 25 years of data. Their latest date was June 3, 1951.
    * Last Castle Rock frost dates: Gardeners at 6,250 feet Castle Rock can plan on a last frost date of May 23 with a 50 percent degree of confidence. In Fort Collins, it's May 10, Boulder, May 5 and Brighton, May 2.

Place your bet - Once you know your last spring frost date information, you are ready to place your bet for beating the last spring frost and maximizing the growing season. Simply plant out your tender annuals and see what happens!

Here is a link that might be useful: Find Your Last Frost Date (CSU extension)

• rose4liz
    17 years ago

Hi, I'm new to this site and am excited to get tons of information!!
    Problem, I live in Butte, MT elev. 6,000 ft. I love roses and have had no luck. This time I bought 3 that are supposed to be winter hardy: Climbing Blaze, Climbing Golden Showers, and Climbing America. When can I plant them? They are in pots indoors currently and my cats are havung fun!
    Anyone else have suggestions as to a hardy rose for my zone?

• luckybottom
    17 years ago

I love the "what is happening in your garden" theory and the temp. of the soil. Generally this is what has been working for me:

Forsythia blooming/soil 50° plant: greens, radishes, onion, peas, start tomatoes sets

Lilac leaf/soil 59° plant: carrots, beets, kohlrabi, fennel

Lilac blooms fade/soil 68° plant: cucumbers, melons, corn, squashes, beans, cabbage

Iris bloom/soil 77° plant: tomatoes, peppers, basil, okra, dill

Of course there are hundreds of kinds of lilac and iris so you do have to find what works for you. Hence the tip about befriending the gardening guru in your area.

• Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado
    17 years ago

Rose4liz, there's a thread about roses right now, and if you haven't already found it, I think you'll probably get more help if you go there and post your question. The "rose people" are more likely to find you on that thread.

Welcome to RMG! We're glad you found us here,
    Skybird

• emagineer
    17 years ago

Lucky,
    That is a very interesting planting table and one that I seem to understand.

When taking a course in the mountains I was told that for every 1000' higher than Denver, add a week to Denver planting schedule.

• billie_ladybug
    17 years ago

I heard that you could gauge planting by lilacs, just never knew what to plant, Thanks

B

• erikamccaig
    14 years ago

Rose4liz, You really really need a Winnipeg Parks canadian rose. Trouble free and gorgeous, as well as hardier than anything I have ever grown. Hands down my favorite rose.

• windwhipped
    14 years ago

Rose4liz, there are many roses which have been developed in Canada in the last several years that have been specially bred to withstand cold climates. If you google canadian explorer roses you should find a whole line named after famous explorers. I have a William Baffin rose which is huge and comes through every year without protection.

Also, take a look at the web site for High Country Roses, they specialize in roses for the Rocky Mtn. area.

As for when to plant, I seem to remember I planted roses last year in about mid to late May without a problem, but then I am zone 4/5. Again, your county extension agent is probably the best source for local info on planting times.

Sponsored
Ramos Timber
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Westerville's Top Craftsman & Exceptional Quality Tile & Stone