Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sjboyle_gw

what perennial is easy to grow that deer LIKE to eat?

sjboyle
15 years ago

(please no info on why not to do this - I've done my research and carefully considered this and have decided to give it a try)

We live @ 9000 ft on 20 acres surrounded by BLM and would like to ATTRACT DEER (yes I know the reasons NOT to do this) We want to do this for the kids for them to observe/photograph them safely and learn about wildlife.

I'd like to have a prolific perrenial that will grow easily that deer LIKE to eat.

Thank you for any help/direction you can provide

Comments (6)

• msfuzz
    15 years ago

I know this is a smarta** answer...But grass! Meadows, etc with lots of tender green shoots attract deer like crazy. :)

• sjboyle
    Original Author
    15 years ago

... what grasses grow easily at elevation?

• Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado
    15 years ago

Hi SJ,

Well, this is an interesting request! It is definitely the first time somebody has been looking for things to ATTRACT deer! I donÂt have a problem with deer, so IÂm not gonna be a whole lot of help, but I did notice that Bonnie just posted on the Swap Picture Thread that the deer seem to love her ÂAngelina sedum! I suspect theyÂd like any of the sedumsÂand just about anything else, since every time the "deer resistant" topic comes up around here, folks are saying how much the deer seem to love their deer resistant plants! ;-)

I think the main problem you might have is since youÂre at 9000', youÂre going to need to be sure you get things that are hardy that high. Also, if you get something they REALLY like, you might have a problem with the deer eating them so far down into the crown that the plants donÂt survive and youÂd wind up constantly replacing them. In addition to perennials, you might want to consider planting some veggies to help attract them. I think theyÂd gobble down things like lettuceÂand probably carrot tops and beet tops and spinach and pea greens and............. You get the idea! And if you happen to find something they donÂt like, or if things like carrots happen to survive having their tops eaten off, youÂd have the benefit of having some veggies to harvest and eatÂyourself!!!

Otherwise IÂll leave the specific suggestions for others who have had their plants eatenÂand I betcha youÂre gonna get LOTS of suggestions!

Welcome to RMG,
    Skybird

• digit
    15 years ago

Well, just to try to follow up on Skybird (and not disappoint her ;o):

I figure that you must not like plants, sjboyle, so you could spend lots of $$ and plant acres of tulips and hostas. The deer would be sure to eat them down to nubs in no time.

Cedar is a Winter food for deer . . . surely, those would do okay. Of course, deer even eat yews and azaleas despite the fact that those plants are supposed to be toxic. My biggest problem with deer is them eating tomato and potato vines, toxic again! Everyone would be happy to testify that they will eat - everything, really.

In Gift of the Deer, the author tells how her old neighbor brought venison for her injured deer to eat. Yeah, you could even go with one eating another.

Steve's digits

• gardenbutt
    15 years ago

lol,, okay I cannot resist, perhaps I could just ups a few of them to you along with the wild turkey attack.

Okay in seriousness.Most likely you will not have to do much planting to bring them in.Some of the simplest ways are to plant native plants from your area they tend to graze on.Large planters filled with annuals and salad greens work well. They love all types of fruit trees, especially if under planted with hosta and tulips.My ex in laws used to feed them zucchini and all the left over apples from their garden.If your really wanting them you can place salt licks and animal feed blocks around the area,both available at the local feed store.You may also check cabelas or one of those catalogs I believe they sell alfalfa & grass mixes for deer.

You may want to find out what falls as baitng regulations in your area as well to make sure your behaving yourselves.

I will not lecture here, been through this before.Remember these are dangerous animals, during this time of the year they will attack small children, dogs and teenage boys who stumble onto new mothers and babies.We just had a friend who lost their family dog to a doe in their front yard.I have watched my sons be chased both by does(in spring) and by bucks during rut. A few years ago the ex had to hit deer with a 2x4 as it was trying to trample our miniature doxie, less then 30 feet from my home.Just keep that in mind if your doing this for family learning.

• AdrienneM
    10 years ago

In my case, I want a deer-free garden on my 5 acre country house in NY, but I have a boggy area where they make their home- I am thinking if I could plant some plants they like, they won't come down to the house. I have tons of Hosta at my regular house, so maybe I'll plant some of that up there, and it will do the duty of thinning out my hosta, plus it's free.
    Also, GB- feeding deer is illegal in NY, so just check if you can put out licks or blocks where you are.