Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bob_in_colorado

Not going to fall victim this year, starting to harden off now...

bob_in_colorado
11 years ago

So. Every year it seems like I fall victim to not hardening off properly or with enough time. NOT THIS YEAR!

I am a criminal. One of the roadside fruit stands left a very nice 4x8 foot 2 level cart unguarded one Friday. I was at the feed store getting corn gluten, snatcherooo! Did I mention it also has wheels?

All my plants have been growing since mid-February and are now in cowpots. The cold weather stuff has been in the garage the last week.

Now everyone is in the garage on the cart, got watered today and spent anywhere from 5-20 minutes in the sun. Hurriedly, I then wheeled everything back into the garage and closed the door. (it faces west)

My last frost date is 5-15, so I'm starting early!

The moral of the story is 2-fold....

Harden off slowly and take a lot of time, and the Lord provides what you need!

Comments (11)

• gjcore
    11 years ago

I guess the Lord provides what you need or you can steal it.

• bob_in_colorado
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Just to clarify, the cart was sitting on the side of te road.

Can you stop saying I'm going to hell now? :-)

• gjcore
    11 years ago

Sitting aside the road and unguarded. hmm, I think you should return it to it's proper owner.

• bob_in_colorado
    Original Author
    11 years ago

All kidding aside....

Sitting on the side of the road since last fall, in a pile, abandoned.

• david52 Zone 6
    11 years ago

I wish I had something like that. I'm busy shifting 18 nursery trays in and out. Some of the stuff I'm now leaving outdoors over-night, we're in the 40's.

Its difficult this year, the temps are so warm now that you'd think it was June.

• highalttransplant
    11 years ago

Yeah, I'm with you David, I could really use something like that too! I've been hauling half a dozen overwintering pepper plants in and out for over a month now, but it's almost time to start taking this year's sprouts out for some sunshine. I only have 5 trays, but still a pain in the behind if you ask me. I've been putting off doing it partly because everything is bug free at the moment, and not looking forward to battling any passengers they might pick up on their field trips.

• bob_in_colorado
    Original Author
    11 years ago

If You'd like I can snap some pics. It actually look pretty easy to build.

Or....

Perhaps some entrepreneur will fashion them for a fair price and they'll be in every catalog except gjcores. :-)

• treebarb Z5 Denver
    11 years ago

Bob,

I've been threatening to dig up part of either a Harrison's or Persian yellow rose at an abandoned house for a couple of years now. The thing is I'm just too chicken to do it. I'm glad the cart was abandoned, lol!

I've got my tomatoes up to an hour in full sun now, but think I'm going to skip tomorrow. The peppers just made their first trip out for 15 minutes this evening. I feel for you, David, that's a lot of plants!

I can't believe it's going to be 88 degrees! I've been watering the new tree plantings like a mad woman this evening. This is going to be quite tough on them. At least the heat will be short lived so I can get back to planting!

Barb

• bob_in_colorado
    Original Author
    11 years ago

88 degrees?!?! Where are you Barb?

• treebarb Z5 Denver
    11 years ago

Sorry it took a while for me to get back to this. I'm near Fort Lupton, about a half hour north of Denver. It did get hot, but the cloud cover helped and now this lovely rain!

Going to be doing some planting and a lot of weeding this weekend! I'm glad we're getting a bit of cooling off for a few days. Spring has sprung!

• digit
    11 years ago

I'm not really encouraged my next week's weather predictions. It looks okay for the central & southern Rockies but too cool and rainy up here:

Those are predicted rainfall amounts during the early part of the week. We have snow melt flooding of the rivers right now but, that isn't my gardening concern. The amount of cloud cover and cool temperatures may make hardening-off of plants from the greenhouse difficult. High temperatures on thru the week show that we will just break 60F for highs. The biggest problem for me is that the greenhouse is overflowing!!

Overflow means - overflow. I need to get things outdoors or they are left in the shade under benches or in the garage. Having the older tomatoes in the unheated tunnel last night has me on pins & needles this morning. It was colder than predicted & windier than predicted: with 35F & gusts above 25mph . . . I'm still scared to open the door even with the sunrise!

Om Mani Padme Hung. May all beings remain free from suffering and the causes of suffering . . .

Steve

Sponsored
Virginia Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars150 Reviews
Virginia's Award Winning One Stop Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Resource