Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
terryincs

crabapple losing bark-- possibly dead

terryincs
15 years ago

I have a 9 year old Prairiefire crab that was just getting to be beautiful in the spring. I just noticed that the bark is falling off in many places and all around the circumf. I don't see insects and am not sure what might have caused it. I did not wrap the tree this winter because it was old enough I thought. I pruned a couple branches and they were dry. What do you think it might be and are other trees in danger?

Comments (4)

• Dan _Staley (5b Sunset 2B AHS 7)
    15 years ago

It could be a number of things.

Pics for diagnosis, please.

Dan

• terryincs
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I couldn't add a photo here but posted in the Garden Web Clinic forum. Please check out the photo and see what you think. Thanks! Also, would planting another crab in the area be wise?

• Dan _Staley (5b Sunset 2B AHS 7)
    14 years ago

Way too little information. Think through what someone not there might need if this is important to you.

Dan

• terryincs
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Not sure what else is needed. I bumped the post up in the Pest and Diseases forum so the photo is there. The tree had been doing fine except a little bark peeling off last year, not girdled. Full flowers and fruit last year as well. No sign of bugs or disease that I could see (but I wasn't really looking last year). It is dead--I can attest to that now. The question is... can I plant another crab in the same area? Since I don't know what might have killed the tree, I am afraid to plant the same type. Any other advice? Thanks!

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting