Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Acidanthera 'orchid gladiolus'

Posted by dafygardennut 5b-ish, CO (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 1, 09 at 21:00

My daughter had a fundraiser and I always end up getting whatever bulbs or flowers they have because I really don't need the sweets, magazines or kitchen gear offered. I ended up getting the orchid glads, "blue glads", blue anemone (skybird, we can try these together) and something else I can't remember off the top of my head. I'll ask about the others later on :-)

Acidanthera "orchid gladiolus". Any tips, tricks, are they hard or easy to grow, likes/dislikes, etc.

Jen

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Acidanthera 'orchid gladiolus'

Hi Dafy,

Acidanthera is something that had been on my wish list for over 10 years, so when I saw a pack of them for only $2 at a dollar store last year, I got them. They were ok, but compared to the pictures you always seeLOTS of flowersI was kind of disappointed. There are a lot of buds on each stem, but only one flower on each stem blooms at a time! I had about a dozen of them, and they were only planted a few inches from each other, but I never got a nice "show" like it looks like in the picture you posted!

My best advice would be to plant the bulbs practically on top of each otheras close together as you can get themmaybe an inch apart. That way even if theres only one flower on each stem, itll look more like a bouquet than like "individual flowers!" (The flowers really arent that big!)

The other thing is, like glads, theyre tender bulbs, so if you want to be sure to have them for 10, you need to dig them in the fall and store them over winter, then replant the following spring. I left mine in the ground! I planned to do that when I put them in! Too lazy to dig things up for winter storage! Theyre in a pretty warm corner, so its conceivable that some of them have made it, but I think itll be a couple more months before I know for sure. Fairly recently I went out and pulled on the remaining foliageand it came off! Thats a bad sign (to me, at least) that they probably didnt make it. But Ive had glads come back, and have had the foliage "rot" off of them too, so maybe they will come back. If they dont come back, I wasnt impressed enough with them to go to the trouble of getting more and planting them again. Thats the nice thing about having a small yard! When I lose something, its a good thing! I just consider it another place to try something else! :-)

So plant them close together and just wait for them! Theyre very easy to grow! Just dont keep them wet all the time since theyre bulbs (or cormsor whatever!), and staying too wet will probably rot them.

One more thing scratched off my wish list,
Skybird

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here