Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Trying to find gooseberry plants

Posted by gardenmaid1 Lehi, Utah (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 26, 05 at 21:01

I have looked in many nursarys and have tried to find a Captivator or pink-fruited pixwell Gooseberry plant that I could get....
If you know were I could order one please let me know?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Trying to find gooseberry plants

Here are two Nurseries with the best selections of gooseberries. The Pixwell is not a very good variety compared to others. You may also like one of our native currants - Golden Currant( Ribes aureum). They are extra good and lack the thorns common with Goosberries. Good Luck, rk

http://www.onegreenworld.com/
http://www.raintreenursery.com/

o

I bought a gooseberry from a local nursery here in Benjamin/Sp. Fork(Hansen's) a couple of years ago, but not sure what variety. It's not done too well where I have it planted, but that could be due to the fact that the local pheasants like to strip all the newly emerging growth off of it.(it's now got a wire cage around it)
I also have some extra golden currents that I started from seed a if your interested. They're still not real big(only two years old) but are healthy and in gallon pots.

o

I am a total newbe on goose berries, and live, down here in SW Colo, in a climate very similar to SLC. What specific varieties have you found to be the best?

o

I only have heard that the captivator and pixwell were better for our area...
But it looks like from RODKNEE he likes the Golden current.. Which sounds good to me..

o

The golden current is a great fruiting shrub for this area. It is called golden current for the color of the flowers. It is also called black current for the color of the fruit, and some people call it spice current because of the scent of the flowers. I have about a hundred or so on my property. I pick what fruit I want and let the birds have the rest. Makes wonderful jam.

o

Next time you are in SLC try Wasatch Shadows nursery. The have a great selection of plants.

Laurie

o

For any who are interested, the dark currant with the yellow, clove-scented flowers is the Crandall currant. Most currents, however will adapt to Utah valley soil. I tilled some amendment into my soil to loosen it a little as well.

o

Nice to see this old thread pop up.

An erstwhile, sombrero'd poster on this forum was kind enough to share a division of their gooseberries 4 or 5 years ago, and I'm happy to report that they took, and this past summer I was able to pick 3 quarts of goose berries. Made a pie with one of them and it was fabulous. The others are destined for pies at Thanksgiving and Christmas.

Muchas Gracias!!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here