Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dogwood

Posted by boppaw (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 17, 09 at 21:10

OK--this may be really stupid but can you grow a white flowering dogwood tree in the Colorado Springs area? I am new to CO. and miss these trees from the KC area. Anyone have any luck with these here?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dogwood

Hello! First off, no question here is stupid. Promise. Secondly, since Colo. Springs is zone 4b-5b, it matters where you live within the city. I think you have a better chance of making a flowering dogwood survive if you're within the city, but less chance in the surrounding areas. A flowering dogwood is hardy to zone 5. I miss them greatly, too, as I'm also from the Kansas City area...

o

I haven't seen a flowering dogwood since I moved to Colorado 9 years ago. Is it just a matter of cold hardiness? I thought maybe they needed acidic soil like the azaleas that are always grown with them in the South.

Bonnie

o

Bonnie,
You're right, it's not just cold hardiness. However, soil can be amended with pecan shells, aluminum sulfate. It's a smaller tree so keeping the soil acidic in it's growth habit isn't too hard. The problem is...making the soil that is truly alkaline into acidic takes more than a year to keep it consistant. I think the dogwood is worth the extra effort!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here