Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone growing Epimedium in z5 or less?

Posted by maryhm z5-Co (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 5, 08 at 21:25

I just learned about these plants, and have a perfect shady spot for them. They seem to be a little pricey though, so I'd like to know what varieties any of you may be having success with before I take the plunge.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone growing Epimedium in z5 or less?

I have this popping up in all the shady places. When moving into my home the yard had nothing all around the perimeter and under the trees. There were signs of a wonderful garden at one time, but previous owners must have used weed killer on everything except the grass. And thankfully the flowering bushes, vines and trees are still growing beautifully.

Every spring/summer something does start showing up again. This plant is one of them. It doesn't care if it is under an old pine tree, where I built the shed, poking up through rocks and not getting water. I don't know what variety it is, but they all create heavy root systems which is why this plant is growing again.

Considering the growth habits, am not sure why they would be expensive as someone is probably trying to get rid of them constantly. I am also looking at planting ajuga varieties in my dry shade areas. It seems to have the same growth habits.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here