Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
skybirdforever

Photo Hosting Sites!

Alright! This isnt technically a gardening question, but if you want to have gardening pictures to post, it IS a gardening questionÂso here it is?

Which photo hosting sites are you all using and why, and what do you like and what donÂt you like about the one youÂre using?

Some day IÂm just going to have to take that leap of faith that I will be able to figure it all out, so I guess maybe now is the time!

I was thinking of using Picasa, but IÂve just spent a couple hours trying to figure out whatÂs good and whatÂs bad with the different sites, and, as near as I can tell, you canÂt post pictures on Picasa to forums. Well, somebody said you can, and gave directions on how to do itÂbutÂhey, I donÂt even know how to get the pictures "out of" the camera and "into" the computer yet! (To me a blackberry is something you eatÂso that gives you an idea about where IÂm starting! Can you play poker with a media card?) So if I canÂt use Picasa to post pictures here, I guess thatÂs out! Otherwise, generally speaking, people seem to think itÂs very good!

I know a lot of people use Photobucket, and I didnÂt find any negative comments about that oneÂyet at least! Is everybody happy with Photobucket?

I read that somebody who was using Flickr had their computer hacked! And I read some other generally negative things about it.

All I want to be able to do is store the pictures in the computer, send them to friends in an email (as an actual picture, NOT an attachment or a link), and post (the right size) pictures here! Oh! And the BIG one! It has to be free!

What are your recommendations,

Skybird

Comments (64)

• cnetter
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

"If I sign up for Photobucket and download (upload) my photos to that, can I post and email pictures from there without doing anything else? (Assuming I want to post them just as they are without editing them!)"

Yes - if they are small enough to fit into Photobucket's size requirement (1 mb) although you probably will want to make them smaller. Photobucket has a way of emailing a pic that's pretty easy.

"I do have a free version of Adobe Photoshop that came with the computer that I can use to edit themIF I ever take the time to figure it all out (Ive played with it a little bit)and Im assuming once theyre downloaded (into whatever they get downloaded into) I can transfer them into Photoshop to change them and then transfer them back out to Photobucket or wherever if I want to! "

Yes to all that. The free version is quite good for what most people want it for. I still sometimes use it if I'm on a particular computer (six in this house). The only reason I have the expensive version of Photoshop, is because I do commercial websites for pay. Some of you have purchased from one of them. :-)

"Supposedly when you download Picasa it searches your computer for all the pictures that are already in it anywhere and indexes them somehow so you can find them easily. That would be really good for me since whenever Ive gotten pictures in the past, theyve been saved wherever the "computer" decided to put them, and it can be lots of fun trying to find them sometimes when I want to! But Im still concerned about whether or not Id be able to post from Picasa to the forum."

Don't know if it's worth it for just the search feature. Once you get good with XP's search feature, you won't need it.

"If I "join" Photobucket, will I be able to post pictures that are already in my computer (rather than just the ones I put in from the camera)? "

Yes, you can upload them all. Some of mine are scanned from prints.

"Maybe doing the Photobucket thing now (since I dont have to actually download anything), and considering Picasa for later would be the thing to do. "

Sounds good since it's free!

• stevation
    16 years ago

I was just poking around on the Picasa web album site and they give you 1 GB of free space. Very nice! And if you run out of room, you can buy extra space quite cheap. I really like how they give you the HTML code to pop into a forum message, including the smaller thumbnail photo with a link.

Picasa, Picasa, Picasa, that's what I'd do!

Have fun!
    Steve

• Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Wow, Steve! I just started responding to your last post, and then I saw the earlier one! So you posted that "awwwwww" thumbnail directly from Picassa? Wow! Double wow! Yippee! Thats exactly what I want to do! And Im sure if I can do that on RMG, I can do it in an email too. Double wow! Yippee! Eeeeeeeeha! I LOVE the way cnetter has been posting the pictures lately and you can just click on them to see the BIG version!

I did the Picassa "tour," but I dont know enough about what Im trying to do to know what I was looking at!

One more question! Heres where the newbie dummy comes in!

You say: "What I mean is, you copy the photos from your camera to your PC (which you can do in Picasa itself or separately and then view them with Picasa)"

If I put the pictures from my camera into my computer but NOT into Picasa, where am I putting them??? Just into the AOL pictures file, or an adobe file, or where? I didnt know I COULD put them in the computer until I had a hosting site of some sort! Honest! So I could have just put them into the Photoshop version I have? But still not had a good way to post them? So in Photoshop I could have edited them and printed them and looked at them, but pretty much not much else?

>>>>>time passesOk! Newbie here has just been looking at the camera and what all I have with it.

I have an Olympus Advanced Manual disk, which I think is supposed to tell me how to work the camera! ;-) And I have an Olympus Master disk which I THINK may be a photo album/editing program like Photoshop!

The few pages of English in the THICK instruction book say that to download the pictures to the computer I need to set up the printer (the camera docks on the printer) and load them thru the printer! It also says I need to load the Olympus Master program first! I think that may be only if I want to use the Olympus album program, so I dont think I need to do that! Do I? I sure dont want to have to mess with setting up this little printer that Im never going to use anyway!

I have the USB cable that came with it that plugs into the camera, and I have a USB port on the front of my CPU. Can I just plug the camera directly into the CPU and download them that way? Does anybody know? (The computer is only 2 years old, by the way)

I havent installed Picassa yet! Waiting for a few more answers.

Thank you all for all the help! When I get this all going I know how dumb its gonna seem that I didnt know how to do it, but ya gotta start somewhere!

Skybird

• cnetter
    16 years ago

"I have the USB cable that came with it that plugs into the camera, and I have a USB port on the front of my CPU. Can I just plug the camera directly into the CPU and download them that way?"

Yes!!! That's exactly what I do.

Plug the USB into the PC. Plug the camera onto the USB. Turn the camera on. And something should happen! (A file system should show up on your computer). A menu may come up on your camera requesting some simple action (one of my cameras does this.)

"If I put the pictures from my camera into my computer but NOT into Picasa, where am I putting them??? "
    Just into a directory. They're probably going to be jpg files.

Original Author
    16 years ago

ROFLOL---VERY loud! Quote: "And something should happen!"

That's exactly what I'm scared of!

You have to understand that the very last time I turned on my first HP computer, it started talking to me in rows and rows and rows of binary language! 000001101100010010001111001111000011100010010111001111110000001100110001!

I know quite a bit of Latin, but I never learned Binar---even after listening to the Binars talking to each other on Star Trek! (I know a little bit of Fortran, but I bet there's nobody around who even knows what that is anymore!)

Ever since then, almost every time I turn on my computer, I'm scared "SOMETHING is going to happen!

There's still stuff in that computer I'd like to have---including pictures, but I'm scared if I turn it back on, SOMETHING will happen! LOL

So will somebody come hold my hand and pray for me when I plug my camera in!!! (Still laughing!)

I think I'm going to load Picassa before I try plugging in the camera, so should I somehow be given an option to download the pictures into that?

But you still haven't caught on to how little I know, Cnetter! What's a directory? I'm not kidding! And where's a directory? That's probably where the pictures I've received from people that I can never find have gone---but where is "that?" (I've heard of jpg files!)

STILL laughing,
    Skybird

• cnetter
    16 years ago

Ok. My spouse says I always assume people know more than they do when I explain things. I gotta quit doing that.

To see a directory:
    Go to "start" (a greeb button, probably lower left of screen).
    Left click mouse. A menu will come up.
    Left click on either "My Documents" or "My Pictures". If you are running the "classic" form of the menu you'll have to mouse over "Documents" to see "My Documents" or "My Pictures".

What pops up is a directory. You'll have files and possibly more directories inside of this directory. Use the up button (green arrow on a yellow file folder) to travel up a level and see what's there. You can't break anything doing this.
    Or travel down by clicking a directory.

I had to know Fortran. I had to know various assembly lanquages. And I had to know binary. Don't know Latin, but my spouse sings stuff in it.

• cnetter
    16 years ago

Forgot to add that the directories inside a directory look like little yellow file folders.

And I forget where I put stuff in my directories, like I forget where I put my glasses. So the search tool is reaaly really handy.

To use this, click on "start" (that green button)

Click on "Search" it has a little magnifying glass by it. Choose the type of thing you want to search for (pictures and photos would be a good choice).

Wait a minute! If you know Fortran, you must be geeky enough to know what a directory is. You're a computer veteran. Are you pulling my leg? Why on earth did you learn Fortran?

• digit
    16 years ago

Okay, I have a question for Cnetter - - what did you mean when you said, "I do commercial websites for pay. Some of you have purchased from one of them. :-)"

Some of us did what? where? who? and you know that because?

(if'n it isn't asking too much . . .and since it's Skybird's thread, you can both ignore me.)

DigitS'

• cnetter
    16 years ago

"and you know that because?"

Because a couple people have said they ordered something online from a particular company. The name caught my eye. That site is gardening related. It might have been in another forum, but I noticed the folks were RMG folk.

Don't worry, I'm not looking at anyone's purchases. :-) :-)

I have to be careful due to GW policies.

• cnetter
    16 years ago

Ok, my teenagers have informed me directories are now called "folders".

Really, I knew that, but am stuck with my old nomenclature.

And my 17 year old says Picasa is really awsome but a memory hog.

Nothing like a kid to make you feel obsolete.

Original Author
    16 years ago

Ok, I was writing this while the two of you were chatting here, so this goes back to your 2206 post, Cnetter!

I know where all that stuff is! I just didnt know it was called a directory! To me it's just "all that stuff!" Its the little things that get you! :\-) I think the terminology is what really throws me half the time. Thanks for taking the time to explain it for dummies! Just figured out that I have Corel Paint Shop too! It looks like thats where most of the pictures are that the "computer" has saved! And some in AOL, and some in Adobe! It will be nice to have access to all of them thru Picassa and not have to find them all over the place. The only Latin I know is horticultural Latin, and I had medical terminology a long time ago too, but Im really glad to know what I do, because it really helps with spelling, and its nice to be able to understand what youre reading when you do medical research about something. But I cant sing in itmostly because I cant sing! ;\-) Well need to turn to Charlene for the singing around here! Maybe your husband would like to sing with Charlene! Or maybe not! The Fortran came up in the late 60's when my husband at the time was taking it in school, and I started going with him to the lab to keypunch his cardswhich is how you told a computer what to do back then. When I started keypunching, I got really fascinated with what I was doing and started auditing the class with him and looking at his bookwhich was a terrible text, and a couple weeks later I started writing simple programs. It was fun! But I wouldnt want to do it for a living. Computers are too logical! I prefer the illogical logic of human beings! :\-) The last program was a 20 year amortization program, and the first time I tried to run it I only had 3 syntax errors, but I had never learned syntax except for punching the cards, so I didnt feel too bad about that. When I fixed those and ran it, I only had one logic error! A human being would have known what I meantso the computer should have too! The funny thing is my ex never got his do loop to work, and he was using different logic than mine (no surprise), so I couldnt help him figure out what was wrongso he finally keypunched a card with his name on it and submitted my program as his own. So if that makes me a geek, I guess I ambut Im a geek who doesnt know anything about todays computers. Understanding the basic concepts doesnt seem to help me figure out how to actually do things in real life! Can you actually program in binary? I understand the whole concept of it, but I cant quite make that leap of faith from the English programming languages to the "building blocks!" Kind of like I cant easily convert the basic computer logic information into performing everyday tasks. So, no, Im not puttin you on! The everyday things that I havent run into and figured out before, I dont have a clue about! So thank you for the help! I love my Dell and I dont want to get it all messed up like my HP was! I think the HP had a genetically engineered virus that could very possibly have qualified as a weapon of mass destruction in the end! Ok! Question! Ill install Picassa tomorrow or the next day, and after I do, when I plug in the camera (holding my breath!), is it very likely that the little menu Ill see will give me the option of downloading the pictures into Picassa? I guess if it doesnt, I can just x out and unplug the camera again till I ask more questions! Sure am glad to have you guys here, Skybird
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I just looked, and I have over 61GB of space left on my hard drive, so I don't think having a "memory hog" will be a problem. And part of the reason I got a Dell is because I've been told that they're easy to add extra memory to if you ever need it!

Tell your kids, thanks,
    Skybird

• bpgreen
    16 years ago

"Can you actually program in binary?"

Yes, but these days, C is considered a low level language (low is close to the machine, high is close to people). Aside from people who work with assemblers, compilers and chips, very few people work in binary. Well, maybe politicians (you're either wi us or agin us).

Having 61 GB left on the drive doesn't help much with an application that's a memory hog. There's memory and there's memory. The 61 gig you have is drive space, permanent memory. The memory that is being hogged is transient, random memory. A certain amount of drive space can be faked into acting like random memory, but it's a fake, and the hogging still slows you down.

Original Author
    16 years ago

"Well, maybe politicians (you're either wi us or agin us)."

ROFL again!

Ok, BP, now you did it! I'm lost again! Is installing Picassa going to way slow down the computer, and if it will, will it only be when I'm using Picassa, or will it be all the time? Will it affect anything else that I should worry about? Is there any way to look up transient/random memory to see how it might affect me? Do any of the figures on the Task Manager help? Physical memory--kernel memory--commit charge??? Is there somewhere else I can look? I suspect it wouldn't be a problem, because I really don't use a whole lot of applications and don't have a whole lot of stuff installed, but it drives me crazy when it's "thinking" slowly, so I don't want to do anything that's going to cause that to happen!

Any comments or suggentions?
    Skybird

• cnetter
    16 years ago

"Ill install Picassa tomorrow or the next day, and after I do, when I plug in the camera (holding my breath!), is it very likely that the little menu Ill see will give me the option of downloading the pictures into Picassa? "

Don't know, and my kid who has Picasa went to bed. I'm thinking it'll probably just load the pics into a directory/folder and then Picasa will find them and sort them all for you when you run it.

Punch cards. Running batch jobs. Bad memories of dropping the cards on the floor while waiting in line for the card reader. Cards jamming in the blasted card reader.
    Ah yes, the good old days! My spouse is laughing because he was there too.

I did firmware/microcode for 15 years and in the early days I often rewrote parts of the binary on the hardware in the lab by tweaking bits to test a fix before going back to the office to rewrite the more readable (barely) assembly language. Fortunately, things evolved to where I could write in a real language! (C, C++)

I like my Dell. I also like my Mac.

Original Author
    16 years ago

My, everyone is up late tonite!

BP just suggested above that installing Picassa might slow things down. Ask your kids tomorrow what they think of that possibility. Like it or not, they definitely know more than us adults!

I'm going to bed!

Nite all,
    Skybird

• cnetter
    16 years ago

How much RAM you got?

"Do any of the figures on the Task Manager help?"

If you bring up Task Manager and go under processes, it'll tell you how much memory it's using. You have to have Picasa running when you do this.

If you want to wait, I can have Gen check on this on her computer, or maybe Steve can if he has it loaded. I've got too much running on this beast as it is so I'm not loading it.

• stevation
    16 years ago

Skybird,

If Picasa is a memory hog, it's only going to affect you while the computer is running Picasa. If you know the task manager, just look at physical memory an the total and available numbers there. If your total memory is at least 500,000 KB, then you're machine should be able to handle most photo manipulating software. If you find the available memory getting low, it may be time to restart the computer because some programs seem to hold on to memory after you close them down (it's called memory leaks).

You mention having photos stored in Picasa or in Adobe or so on. It's not really that the program has photos stored in it. The photo files (they will be named something like P04070101.jpg) will be stored in a directory (or FOLDER as the new terminology goes) somewhere on your computer, and the different programs can each access the photos if they're just told where to look for them. It's possible some of your programs might have a preference to store photos in different folders, so the existing photos you have might not be all in the same place. But I think most programs created since Windows XP came out (what was it, five to seven years ago?) should look for photos in the My Pictures folder, which is inside the My Documents folder. I like to have my photos all in folders organized by month, so I'll have subfolders within My Pictures that are called things like 2007-04, for example, for all my April 2007 photos. You don't have to separate the files like that -- it's just something I do.

I also have an Olympus camera. If it's like mine, it probably has the dial on top that has the little green arrow, and when you turn it to that setting, you can view all your photos on the camera. If that's true, then here's how you get the photos onto the PC. Make sure the camera is off. Plug in the USB cable to the camera and to the PC. Then turn the camera to that green arrow setting (if it's not a green arrow, it's whatever way you turn on the camera to preview all the photos you have on it). When you do that, your computer will recognize that it's attached and most likely Windows itself will pop up a little "wizard" that walks you through copying or moving the photos to your computer. I think it will ask you where you want to store them on the PC, and you can create a new folder in your My Pictures folder through the wizard. If you choose to copy them, they stay on the camera and on the PC. If you choose to move them, they are deleted from the camera after it copies them to the PC.

When you run Picasa, it always does a quick search of the computer to see if there are new photos anywhere that it didn't see there before. If you copied or moved them as above, it will find them.

I did mention earlier that you can copy the photos from within Picasa. If you want to do it that way, run Picasa, then click the import button in the upper left corner. Then turn on your camera (with it attached by USB cable as described above) and it should show up when you hit the "Select Device" button in the Picasa import screen. Then, you should see a tiny thumbnail version of all your photos on the camera on the left. You can either hit the "import all" button at the bottom or select a number of photos while holding the CTRL key and then click the "import selected" button. It will ask you for a folder name for the new photos and it will by default store that folder withing the My Pictures folder.

Whew! Does that explain things OK? I think you're ready for an attempt now.

• stevation
    16 years ago

I'll add one thing to my post above. I noticed Picasa did install an icon in the "tray" -- the area by the clock in the lower right corner of Windows. It's an automatic media detector (don't have time to figure out why it's good to have). Anyway, having that little program running constantly can take up some of your memory even when you're not running Picasa. So, I went into Picasa and turned that option off: go to Tools, Options, General, and uncheck the box that says "Automatically detect media".

Original Author
    16 years ago

Wow! You guys are GREAT! Thank you so much Steve for taking the time to do that! Thats exactly what I need, and Im going to print it out so I can follow it step by step when Im doing it the first couple times.

Now youre getting down to dummy level!

I definitely know the task manager! I keep it minimized anytime the computer is on so when Im not doing anything and the computer starts thinking all by itself I can look and see what its thinking about! I found a really good site where I can check to see what any particular process is if its one I dont know. I really did freak out about what happened to my first computer, and if something starts going wrong with this one, Im gonna head it off at the pass!

In Physical Memory I have: Total - 514,124; Available - about 105,000; and System Cache - about 163,000.

In Kernel Memoryif that mattersI dont have a clue what that one is: Total - about 42,000; Paged - about 34,000; Nonpaged - about 8100.

I dont know how much of that matters, but I definitely have over the 500,000 physical memory youre talking about. As long as its only Picassa that might be a little bit slow, I dont care. I clear my browser cache all the timeI HATE tracking cookies, and I havent cleared my graphics for quite a while, so Ill do that first, and defragmenting is completely up to date, so that should all help a little bit.

My little green arrow isnt right on top, Steve, but I found it! The on/off switch slides back and forth, and if you push it half way its at the arrow. I havent used that before. Theres a quick view to use when the cameras on. But I did find a great Olympus site about my specific camera where theres a pdf copy of the "Advanced Manual." Its wonderful! I didnt get a printed copy of that with the camerajust the disc, which Ive never even put in the computer to look at it! One thing it suggests that I hadnt thought of is to plug it in when youre doing something like this to save battery power. Sounds like a good idea to me!

Thanks for mentioning about the difference between copying or moving them. I definitely want to keep them on the camera card toojust in case! Just like I have the negatives for all my "real" pictures. (Alright! Im old! Photography is another much-loved avocation of mineI have two Canon AE-1's that I have NEVER used on automatic, and I still use them for most of my pictures! Hope to start enlarging and framing some of them "some day!" Dont tell me about what all you can do with digital! Im old!)

I still dont know if my terminology is right here, but if I want to "save them in Picassa" then, I start Picassa first and then plug in the camera, is that right? And then there should be a yellow brick road to follow to put them into folders within the Picassa program? Im thinking of people who send me yahoo albums, and I can do something similar in Picassa, cant I? Put them in folders and then move them around from folder to folder if I want to?

Now that I have the basics of how to set the camera and that I can just plug the camera directly into the CPU, I think Ill be able to just figure it out as I go. I dont think Ill get it done till tonite or tomorrowwe might get rain this afternoon and I have to get outside to do some stuff first, but Ill be back with more questions if something isnt doing what I expect it to do! And if the computer blows up, Ill be off the web, but youll hear me screamingeven in Utah!

Cnetter, when I get Picassa installed, Ill go back to see how the Task Manager figures have changed. Itll be interesting! And if your daughter has any other comments about Picassa I would definitely be interested in them!

Thank you all for the wonderful help! I never would have had the nerve to try to do it without all this!

Skybird

Just saw your last comment, Steve! Thank you!

• bpgreen
    16 years ago

Sounds like you have 512 meg of ram. That used to be considered a lot, but it's not so much any more. If you usually do one thing at a time, it'll probably do fine with Picasa. If you're writing a letter, surfing the web, checking email, balancing the checkbook in Quicken, calling somebody on Skype all at the same time, you'll wish you had more ram.

Defragmenting the drive helps a little, especially since Windows uses hard drive space to substitute for ram when it needs to, and it's faster if it's mostly contiguous.

Some cameras store the pictures as jpegs right off the bat, and you can plug them in and access the pictures as if the camera is another drive. I actually had a camera that worked that way and doubled as an MP3 player.

I didn't realize there were so many propeller heads on this forum. The talk for a while reminded me of an old Dilbert strip--"Zeros and ones? You had ones? I once had to write an entire database system using only zeros."

Original Author
    16 years ago

Ok, Ive installed Picassa but I cant find any URLs or any way to post a picture. I was about to download Picassa Web Albums, but is that the same thing I already have or is it something else I need to be able to post pictures to RMG? If I have it figured out right, I can email with what Ive already installed, although I dont know how yet!

Help,
    Skybird

• singcharlene
    16 years ago

Skybird- you're making progress!

Stevation-I just have to say that is the sweetest baby. I want to kiss his chubby cheeks! Congrats on getting a boy after all those girls!

Original Author
    16 years ago

Well Im lost and Im going to bed! I think I have everything downloaded that I need to, but dont know how to use it. Ive signed in and created a "web album,"at least the download manager says I havebut I cant find any way to do anything with it. Help says "You can link to your web album photos from your blog or website with the "Link this Album" function. After you are signed in, click "Link This Album" (in the album view), and a URL for your album will appear. For an email or IM, copy and paste the URL into your message." but Ive clicked on everything I can find and cant find any place that says "Link This Album."

Oh, and I emailed myself a picture, but it was sent as a link that had to be downloaded and saved in order to view it. I hate it when people send me pictures that I have to "save" just to look at them one time and then take the time to delete them so I'm not wasting extra space Need to figure out how to put the picture directly into the email.

I'm discouraged!

Skybird

• bpgreen
    16 years ago

Skybird--I've never used it, but if those who have (or have kids who have) don't respond by the weekend, ping me and I'll download it and try to help.

Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks, BP. It's just that I've been working on it all nite and and was really, really hoping I'd be able to figure out how to post just one tiny little picture by now. But all I got was a headache! Oh, well! This too shall pass!

Steve has already downloaded it, and I think when he gets around to seeing this, he'll be able to help.

This is what happens when an Antique Geek tries to do something in the 21st century! ;-)

Thank you again for the offer,
    I'm outta here for tonite,
    Skybird

• emagineer
    16 years ago

Punch cards! Good grief... And to make it worse, I remember using them for programming. Mentioned to my son that they were one of the lost objects of his age. Then he reminded me that he too learned using them. I don't want to be old and am already there.

• digit
    16 years ago

Hi, I'm only 1 minute old:

• cnetter
    16 years ago

Gen removed Picasa when she saw it slowed down her computer, so she's no help now.

I'm wondering if a pop up is supposed to appear with the URL in it, but Steve will know for sure.

When you email a pic from Photobucket, it sends a thumbnail that you can click on to see the bigger picture. You don't have to download it - it's shows up as a web page. But I find the interface to email the pic to be kludgy (sp), rather inflexible and less intuitive than it could be. So just using the html to include an image would be best.

My brother-in-law uses Picasa and loves it, and he's in his middles sixties and not what I'd call computer literate.

If you can see your images on your web album, you can use "properties" to get the URL.

Just put the mouse on the pic.
    Right click. A menu will show up.
    Left click on properties.
    Copy the address (URL)

• digit
    16 years ago

Skybird, I'm not trying to be flippant. It literally took me 1 minute using Tinypic.com (a Photobucket service) to post that picture - dial-up connection, lame operator, and all.

I hardly have any idea what you folks are talking about but Tinypic is incredibly easy. Just don't put anything there that you don't want out in the public domain. And, it saves nothing for you nor permits editing.

(The picture is from the GW heirloom forum. ;o)

D'S'

• cnetter
    16 years ago

Well that was certainly fast and easy, DS!
    And you can just as easily email a link to the pic.
    And you don't even need an account to try it. Wow!

(When choosing what to copy and paste here, the "html for websites" is the one to use for this forum rather than image code for message boards.)

• stevation
    16 years ago

OK, let me try and help, Skybird. It sounds like you did upload some photos into a web album. Is that correct? Do you see your photos on the website that it takes you to, or do you have a blank web album?

If you have trouble finding your web album, go to picasaweb.google.com and if you're not already signed in, sign in with the form at the right side of the page, using the username or email and password you set up yesterday. Once you're signed in, you should see a white area on the page that says "Albums" and you should see a small "thumbnail" photo that represents the album you created. Click on that photo and you should then see the album view, where there are small thumbnail photos in a row and over on the left it says the name of the album and it has some links over there like this:

Edit Album Properties
    Choose Album Cover
    Upload Photos
    Link to this Album
    Download Album
    Delete Album

If you really want to link to your album, you can click that "Link to this Album" text and it will open up some other options. But I don't think that's what you really want to do. I think you'd really like to link to a specific picture that you can then post on GW. Here's how to do that:

From that album view page described above, click on the photo you want to link to. Then, you should see a larger version of it. On the RIGHT of that screen, you'll see some links like this:

Set as album cover
    Copy to another album
    Move to another album
    Link to this Photo
    Delete this photo

Notice that "Link to this Photo" has a little black arrow next to it. Click the link, and it opens up a little shaded area on the page with these four items:

Paste link in email or IM
    HTML to embed in website
    Select size
    Show link to album

What you want is the "HTML to embed in website" (which includes embedding a photo in a post like here on GW). But first, you need to select the size of the thumbnail photo that you want to "embed" in a post here at GW. The one I posted earlier of my baby was the "small 288px" size. You can even choose a larger size if you want a full-sized photo in a post here so people don't have to click to view it bigger. Anyway, choose the size you want, then click in the text box underneath "HTML to embed in website" it should highlight all the text in that box. Then you need to either hit CTRL-C on your keyboard to copy that text or right click on the text box with your mouse and choose "copy" from the little popup menu.

Once you have copied the HTML text, come back here and post it in a message, and when you hit the GW preview message button, you should see your small image in your post and it has a link so that when you click the image, it takes you to the photo on picasaweb.google.com. From there, anyone viewing your photo can choose to view your whole album by either clicking the right and left arrows above your photo or by clicking the "view album" link on that page.

Now, if I'm wrong in thinking (hoping?) that you did get some photos uploaded to an album at picasaweb, we can go back a few steps and get that taken care of and then move on to the steps in this message. OK?

Original Author
    16 years ago

Fingers crossed!

Original Author
    16 years ago

Thankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyou >>>giggling like an idiot!Itworksitworksitworksitworksitworks!

I knew it would be incredibly easy once I got it figured out! But I NEVER would have figured it out without you, Steve! Thank you sooooooo much for taking the time to write all that! And in such detail that even an Antique Geek could figure out.

(Im so excited I cant even type straight!)

I dont know what was going on last nite, but I never got to that picasaweb home page. I just kept getting a little download window no matter what I clicked on! (Not that I would have known what to do if I HAD gotten therebut at least there would have been a chance!)

Its soooo easy!

Thankyouthankyouthankyou...............

IloveyouIloveyouIloveyouIloveyouIloveyouIloveyou.....................but I wont tell your wife!

>>>still giggling like an idiotSkybird

• luckybottom
    16 years ago

Skybird,

You did it!!!!!

To get the photo in to the body of your email you need to put the cursor where you want the photo to be, select Insert>Picture>find your file where the picture lives>dbl. click the picture and it will be in the body of your email. You need to know that how the system and software that someone has will effect how they will receive your email. Some wont get it at all and others will still have it come in as an attachment. Be sure you select Picture and not File.

Thanks so much for staring this thread. It is so informative, interesting and now I have to check out Picasa. I have used Photobucket in the past but am always willing to learn something new. I did get some video I took of my husband doing his horse "thing" added to our website this year.

• stevation
    16 years ago

Very nice! I can almost hear the giggling from 600 miles away!

- Steve

• cnetter
    16 years ago

Way cool video of "The Lovely Carmen Montana", Lucky.

Ooh, another marmalade cat! Not as big as the twenty pounder holding me down right now.

Original Author
    16 years ago

Ok, heres some technical stuff!

As near as I can tell from the Task Manager or anything else, Picassa has not in any way slowed anything down or made any noticeable differences in using my computer. And Picassa itself seems to work very fast.

From the Task Managerfigures before and after installing Picassa (I have fewer windows open today so some of the figures are actually higher):

In Physical Memory:
    Total - 514,124----514,124
    Available - about 105,000----109,000
    and System Cache - about 163,000----193,500

In Kernel Memory:
    Total - about 42,000----41400
    Paged - about 34,000----33000
    Nonpaged - about 8100----8400

That stuff doesnt really mean anything at all to me, but to some of you "real" geeks, it might!

"Doing" videos might make more of a difference! As of now I dont plan to get into videos at all, so it looks like Picassa isnt going to have any negative effects on my computer.

With your warning, Steve, I only installed an icon on the desktop and not in the tray (never knew what it was called before) or anywhere else. Ive already got a couple icons down in the tray that I never use but dont know how to get rid of them. Funny! My computer keeps telling me there are unused icons on my desktop and do I want to get rid of them, but it never asks me that about the tray! I already know how to get rid of them on my desktop if I want to!

Ok, NOW I have to shove my camera into one of the drives and get MY pictures in the computer! ;-) No, I havent done that yet! Wanted to be sure what I was getting into first! But I thinkoh, how I hopeits going to be all downhill from here!

Lucky, I tried playing around with the email thing, but when I did what you said it pulled up my Windows/AOL pictures and Im hoping to figure out how to do it directly from Picassa now that I have it. I tried it three different ways from Picassa, and still dont have what I want to do. Well, actually the last one workedkinda! The first two I tried just sent a linkbut at least it wasnt an attachmentand the third one I sent (to myself), I never received! So its in my outbox and DOES have the actual picture in the email, but I never received it! Weird! Its apparently stuck in an endless do-loop somewhere and zooming endlessly around the world! I tried to view your video, but as so often happens when I get videos, all I got was the audio and a blank screen! I dont know if its a glitch in my computer or if I have a setting wrong or what, but sometimes videos run fine for me and sometimes I cant see them.

Thank you allCnetter, BP, Digit, Lucky, Charlene, Olde Emaagin, and everyone else who chimed in further up the threadand the BIG one, Steve.

Yago, I hope you found something in here that helped! Come ask if its still not making sense to you.

We might get rain this afternoon again (it went west of me yesterday), so I need to get outside for a couple hours to get some stuff done!

>>> I have a real live phobia about spiders, so when we went to the Butterfly Pavilion in Denver, I wanted to see if I could do thisand I did! Thats MY hand its crawling on! (click to enlarge)

• singcharlene
    16 years ago

On top of Pike's Peak

Okay you guys have taught me how to post a picture from my pic hosting site Picturetrail.com but I can't figure out how to make it bigger? I'll keep playing.
    Thank you!!

Thanks Skybird for inspiring me to learn too!

• bpgreen
    16 years ago

Click on the picture. It links to a bigger version of it.

Original Author
    16 years ago

You don't need to make it bigger, Charlene! We can! The same as Cnetter and I, if you click on the posted thumbnail, you get the BIG picture. Cute kid!

I'm glad this thread helped some other people, but I really wasn't trying to inspire anybody. I was just really tired of running around with my digital camera--which I got so I could post pictures--and not being able to do anything with it! Still haven't had time to try to download my own pictures, but will soon. I want to post a couple pictures on the swap thread.

Still feel like giggling,
    Skybird

P.S. So you remember punch cards too, Emagin! Guess there's a bunch of us Oldie's but Goodie's around here!

• highalttransplant
    16 years ago

Skybird, that cat picture is adorable! Some kind soul on another forum walked me through the whole picture posting thing a while back, which is how I ended up using Photobucket. My pictures are always huge though. Now if only someone could explain how to resize it to the thumbnail size you guys are posting : )

• bpgreen
    16 years ago

"P.S. So you remember punch cards too, Emagin! Guess there's a bunch of us Oldie's but Goodie's around here!"

I must be rally old then. When I was a freshman, the use of punch cards to register for classes was a selling point for them.

• cnetter
    16 years ago

Highalttransplant,
    I always just coded linked thumbnails by hand because I didn't know Photobucket had a tool that generates the code, and I don't have much trouble doing it.

It turns out Photobucket can generate the html for you:
    Follow this link to this Photobucket Tutorial,

What you want to do for a clickable thumbnail is #5, HTML clickable thumbnails for eBay, LiveJournal, MySpace, etc.

Most folks just post their full sized pics. I got in the habit of posting thumbnails because a thread full of large pics can be really huge, and if there's a whole lot of responses with full sized pics, it could be painful for those on dial up.

Here's an example of a thread with quite a few beautiful full sized pics - and this thread will probably get alot bigger:
    Roses A-Z, let's see your C's

Shall we talk about slide rules next? :-)

• emagineer
    16 years ago

Slide rules? We need a separate post on these memories. Bet there are plenty of topics of yore.

Thanks for the thumbnail info...have been too lazy to look it up.

• digit
    16 years ago

Those 2 hot links make me wonder how that's done, Cnetter.

When I have more than 1 link for in a message, I sometimes can't decide which to include. Often, I'll just end up tossing them and pretending to be the voice of authority: "You should know that #A and #B and #C . . ." When, really, I hadn't a clue until finding the info a moment before. Or, there's a lot more somewhere on the 'net and someone else may benefit from seeing it.

I don't want to get too carried away with GW posting (and you know I can ;o) but is the hot link somehow a GW feature? Pasting from MS Word doesn't do it.

DigitS'

• cnetter
    16 years ago

Digit,
    The hot link is done kind of like the clickable thumbnail, only using words instead of a thumbnail image.
    Normally typing in an example on GW would just show up as a link instead of the html, but I found the html to show html (hopefully that made sense):
    This is how the link to the rose thread was done.
    (This may not work, GW keeps switching around what I've typed in the preview.)
    <a href="http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/roses/msg0508213226977.html?18">Roses A-Z, let's see your C's</a>

One place to learn this step by step is:
    Full Web Building Tutorials

• emagineer
    16 years ago

You can add more links in the Option box below by posting more than one message. This requires your changing the "Subject of Posting" box. I can add one letter to what is there and it lets me post a second contiquous post. Would be nice if we had the option for 2 or 3 links.

• gjmancini
    16 years ago

i hope this works

• highalttransplant
    16 years ago

Yippee!!! Congratulations, GJMancini! I remember how frustrated I was when I was trying to figure out how to post pictures, and how great it felt to view that first picture.

Looking forward to many more from you!

Bonnie