Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
digit_gw

On my way to Recession-Proof Coffee

digit
15 years ago

What do you suppose these are ?

Look at that lovely smoke rising from the cast iron !

1 to 1 Folgers :

My "Can't Believe It's NOT Coffee" Ad :

Steve's digits

Comments (12)

• dafygardennut
    15 years ago

I'm gonna guess chicory :-)

• digit
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Same family, Jen, and I've done the same thing with it . . .

d'S'

• dafygardennut
    15 years ago

I notice that you didn't mention how it tasted though....

:-)

• digit
    Original Author
    15 years ago

It makes a mild cup of coffee.

What seems remarkable to me is the lack of anything to be offended by. That is, if you don't mind mild coffee.

. . . no special unpleasantness, whatsoever.

I would not be especially interested in drinking it without the addition of equal parts of coffee. Perhaps, there are other additives that haven't occurred to me, however.

S'

• laura_42
    15 years ago

Dandelions?

:)

• digit
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The leaves are good as a pot herb. Just pick those from a robustly growing plant before it blooms. Then, change the water once while cooking. You don't need to cook long or hard, however.

I've always wanted to pick the blossoms and make wine.

But, I get busy on other things on those nice Spring days. Maybe if they stayed open after dark . . .

S'

• digit
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Oh, yes - dandelions!

Here is a link that might be useful: dandelion root coffee - I use the pan but not the oven

• highalttransplant
    15 years ago

Well, I've had coffee with Chicory in it on a trip to New Orleans, but I'm thinking adding dandelion roots would dilute the affects of the caffiene, which for a serious addict such as myself, would defeat the purpose of the coffee : )

I guess I fall into the category of someone offended by a mild cup o' joe, LOL. I love the part at the bottom of the link, where they tell you not to overharvest, and be sure and replant. Hmmmmm ... I don't think there is a chance of dandelions becoming an endangered species where I live.

Now if you have a recipe for homemade herbal tea, I would definitely be interested!

Bonnie

• digit
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ooohhh, Bonnie:

Equal parts anise hyssop and lemon verbena . . . maybe, a little sprig of fresh spearmint.

S'

• mutajen
    14 years ago

i made root beer out of agastache last summer. but tea would work too.

• digit
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yeah that's anise hyssop. With lemon verbena, I had 2 cups with lunch.

I'd like to call it by another common name, licorice mint. But, I'm afraid no one would know what I mean. . . suspect that might be true calling it any of these names.

Root beer!?! I bet that's a good idea!

d'S'

• bpgreen
    14 years ago

I always thought that both dandelion and chickory "coffee" had an earthy taste (not to mention the diminished caffeine). That was true even of a chickory/coffee mix I bought once.

As for the leaves, if you're getting them for a salad, they have to be picked before flowering, but if you're boiling them, you can pick them any time.