Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
On my way to Recession-Proof Coffee

Posted by digit Z6a (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 17, 09 at 22:00

What do you suppose these are ?
Photobucket
Look at that lovely smoke rising from the cast iron !
Photobucket
1 to 1 Folgers :
Photobucket
My "Can't Believe It's NOT Coffee" Ad :
Photobucket

Steve's digits

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: On my way to Recession-Proof Coffee

I'm gonna guess chicory :-)

o

Same family, Jen, and I've done the same thing with it . . .

d'S'

o

I notice that you didn't mention how it tasted though....

:-)

o

It makes a mild cup of coffee.

What seems remarkable to me is the lack of anything to be offended by. That is, if you don't mind mild coffee.

. . . no special unpleasantness, whatsoever.

I would not be especially interested in drinking it without the addition of equal parts of coffee. Perhaps, there are other additives that haven't occurred to me, however.

S'

o

Dandelions?

:)

o

The leaves are good as a pot herb. Just pick those from a robustly growing plant before it blooms. Then, change the water once while cooking. You don't need to cook long or hard, however.

I've always wanted to pick the blossoms and make wine.

But, I get busy on other things on those nice Spring days. Maybe if they stayed open after dark . . .

S'

o
Oh, yes - dandelions!

Oh, yes - dandelions!

Here is a link that might be useful: dandelion root coffee - I use the pan but not the oven

o

Well, I've had coffee with Chicory in it on a trip to New Orleans, but I'm thinking adding dandelion roots would dilute the affects of the caffiene, which for a serious addict such as myself, would defeat the purpose of the coffee : )

I guess I fall into the category of someone offended by a mild cup o' joe, LOL. I love the part at the bottom of the link, where they tell you not to overharvest, and be sure and replant. Hmmmmm ... I don't think there is a chance of dandelions becoming an endangered species where I live.

Now if you have a recipe for homemade herbal tea, I would definitely be interested!

Bonnie

o

Ooohhh, Bonnie:

Equal parts anise hyssop and lemon verbena . . . maybe, a little sprig of fresh spearmint.

S'

o

i made root beer out of agastache last summer. but tea would work too.

o

Yeah that's anise hyssop. With lemon verbena, I had 2 cups with lunch.

I'd like to call it by another common name, licorice mint. But, I'm afraid no one would know what I mean. . . suspect that might be true calling it any of these names.

Root beer!?! I bet that's a good idea!

d'S'

o

I always thought that both dandelion and chickory "coffee" had an earthy taste (not to mention the diminished caffeine). That was true even of a chickory/coffee mix I bought once.

As for the leaves, if you're getting them for a salad, they have to be picked before flowering, but if you're boiling them, you can pick them any time.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here