Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greenbean08_gw

Colorado Springs- Purple Majesty Potatoes??

greenbean08_gw
13 years ago

Has anyone in Colorado Springs seen Purple Majesty seed potatoes at any of the garden centers? I got them at Hillside last year but when I went by today they didn't have any seed potatoes at all. I'm not sure if/when/what they're getting in.

Comments (10)

• Dan _Staley (5b Sunset 2B AHS 7)
    13 years ago

I haven't seen any up here either. I wonder if you need to call one of the growers up north near Wyo...

Dan

• greenbean08_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Guess I'll be making phone calls this week. Unfortunately, Hillside is the only place that I remember having them last year (but maybe I didn't check everywhere).

I think there are some in the box of sprouted potatoes in my pantry from last years harvest. I'm not sure I'll be able to tell which are the PM and which are All Blue though. Oh well, they're all getting planted anyway. Purple Majesty and Red Pontaic were the only ones I was planning to buy this year.

• Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado
    13 years ago

I don't know if this will help you or not, GB, but here's a list of Colorado garden centers, and there's three listed under COS. Thought I'd post it in case there's one there you hadn't heard of yet.

Good luck,
    Skybird

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden Centers of Colorado

• kareng_grow
    13 years ago

I just checked with my favorite garden center, Plelan Gardens on Austin Bluffs and they currently have Sangre reds, yukon golds, russets and fingerlings. Thursday they'll be getting in some blues but I'll need to check in with them again Thursday or Friday. I may try the sangre reds and fingerlings for grins but the blues also sound interesting...

• nancy_in_co
    13 years ago

Hi,

I saw purple potatoes last year at Spensers on S. Tejon. I don't know if they were Purple Majesty and I don't know if they have them this year but you could give them a quick phone call.

Nancy

• greenbean08_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I don't want to have to pay shipping so if I can't get them locally I'll just have to make do. I'm not planting a huge number and there's a possibility I may not even live here to harvest my garden this year so I'm trying to keep it cheap :-)

Thanks for the link Skybird - I check with 2 of the 3 but I couldn't remember the name of the 3rd, I'll call them tomorrow.

Karen, I tried All Blue and Purple Majesty last year. The All Blue have a mealy/dry texture that I didn't really care for (almost like Russets I think). The Purple Majesty are much smoother, like red potatoes tend to be. They're also very high in antioxidants. I stopped by Phelan the other day but I didn't ask anyone (they were in the middle of a class). I'll have to check back (or let me know what you find).

Nancy, I called Spencers, they have blue but the lady didn't know the exact variety. Rick's has some that I might try, I forget the name but I think Majestic was in there. I didn't get a chance to call until late today so I'll make some calls tomorrow.

• milehighgirl
    13 years ago

greenbean08, I got 10 lbs of potatoes from Ronniger's and the shipping was only $10.00. They do have Purple Majesty also.

Here is a link that might be useful: Purple Majesty

• greenbean08_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Wow milehighgirl, thanks for the link. I think next year I'll better plan my potato space and try some of the other varieties they have too.

• greenbean08_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Looks like I've found a source! I called the Garden Center at Flying Horse (Northgate area) yesterday to see if they had any and got a call today that they'll have some in this afternoon for me. It's a little farther than driving to town but not too much, plus it's a nice drive through Black Forest.

• Dan _Staley (5b Sunset 2B AHS 7)
    13 years ago

FWIW, a few years ago I tried 'All Blue' and I pulled some early, ~ tennis ball-sized and we loved them, harvesting after tops dropped was a disappointment. Maybe if you have a few extra feet they are suitable for baby potatoes?

Dan

Sponsored
Potomac Shores Cabinetry
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Loudoun County's Well-Designed Spaces and Custom Crafted Cabinetry