Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
easternco_gardener

Anyone want six grapevines and their supports?

easternco_gardener
12 years ago

After asking a couple of my friends who garden (who later declined because it seemed like too much work to them), I thought I'd throw this out there and see if anyone wants to rehome some grapevines. I can send two photos of the current set-up to anyone interested in giving them a better place to grow.

Why am I getting rid of them? Well, we moved out here last year from the Denver metro area (we currently live about 3 miles East of Bennett, between Bennett and Strasburg, CO) and into a house that had an established vegetable garden. The grapevines were a part of that. Unfortunately, I have no idea what kind of grapes we have. The hailstorm last year on June 10th stripped the vines of their new leaves and we're assuming, prevented the vines from fruiting as they re-established their leaves. We watered and fertilized them, but nothing came of it. Right now, the vines are still dormant and leafless, but they won't be for long once the rain lets up and it gets a little warmer.

After dealing with some raised beds that were more of a hinderance to food production than a help (too large to easily weed and too low to prevent the inevitable bindweed invasion from all sides, we decided to redo the garden completely, make it smaller and put in smaller, permanent raised beds. We decided to get rid of the grapevines since they don't seem to like the heavy clay soil out here. I don't want to just rip them out and throw them away if they can be saved and given to someone who might have a better climate for growing them.

If anyone wants to come and dig them out and take them away, they are all yours. I just need them taken out in the next couple of weeks so that we can build the new vegetable beds. I've already missed out on planting cool weather veggies due to a lack of a place to plant because the vines are in the way of the new garden plan. Otherwise, we'll just have to pull them out and toss them. Email me and let me know if interested, thanks.

Comments (3)