Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
catnohat

Thyme ground cover seeds.

catnohat
10 years ago

I ordered 1000 creeping thyme seed that should be arriving any day now. I am hoping to eventually fill in fairly large area with thyme ground cover. I wanted to try my hand at starting some myself.

Does anyone happen to have a different variety of thyme seed that they would like to trade a few for creeping thyme? Maybe wooly, little prince, or elfin? I did get a wooly thyme plant at the swap. Thanks to whoever that was from! Just thought I would ask. I would like a nice variety, but didn't want to buy 4000 seed. I had a hard time finding small packets of seed.

Thanks everyone-
~Cat

Comments (7)

• LesIsMore1
    10 years ago

Can I ask where you ordered from? I need to order some wooly and/or elfin seeds...

Between bad wildfires last summer and this dang drought, much of mine didn't come back this year.

I've never started them from seed before either... but it can't be that hard. I've never had trouble starting regular thyme from seed. Once established, the stuff usually creeps in around rocks, and fills in by itself. I want to add more around my paths this year as well.

Leslie

• catnohat
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I got my creeping thyme seed from www.MySeeds.co
    KSS Point System, LLC

They were cheap and I was hoping to order several different kinds, but they only had creeping in the ground covers. I would be interested in splitting some of the other kinds with you Les, if you are going to be ordering them. Let me know, I could just mail you some cash and when you get the seeds you could just stick some of them in the mail to me!

Thanks,
    Cat

• aloha2009
    9 years ago

Did either of you have success? How much area are you trying to cover?

Can you make any recommendations. A friend had whooly thyme that didn't bloom (which is nice) but i need a lot to cover (500 sq ft) so I'd like to have a plentiful source.

• catnohat
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I started a tray of seeds but only a few germinated and they ended up dying. I still have some of the seed. I found and 8 pack of elven thyme at Home Depot last year. The elven thyme has tiny leaves and I really liked it, so I divided the clumps and put them in between rocks. They have started to spread like crazy this year. One clump is even blooming, tiny little purple flowers. I put my flipflop in the picture for size. This is not the clump with flowers, but I can only seem to get one picture in a post!

Hope this is helpful.
    ~Cat

• aloha2009
    9 years ago

Cat the pic looks like the thyme is a really deep dark green...very pretty!

Thanks for adding the flip flop as it truly does give a better perspective as to the size.

I'd like to use it as a lawn for our backyard but though our back yard is small (500 sq. feet) that's a lot of thyme. Since seeds are iffy at best, if you were to try and make a lawn with this, and not want to break the bank purchasing a ton of flats of thyme, how many years would you would think it would take to fill in and how many flats would you purchase?

Has anyone had problems with their thyme getting woody and having to restart it? I read about this but I would think just cutting it back would fix this problem.

• First home
    8 years ago

Hi, I know I'm a year behind on this topic. Has anyone heard of pink lemonade thyme? They are suppose to spread more aggressively than other varieties and also greener in color. I was only able to find plug tray from mountainvalley online and was wondering if anyone has order from them as well. Thanks

• oakiris
    8 years ago

Mountain Valley Growers apparently developed this variety; it may only be available from them. It looks like a very nice variety. From their description, it is lemon scented (though not flavored strongly enough for culinary use,) with dark green leaves and it blooms profusely with nice pink flowers. Not sure of the zone - their description says Zone 5 but they have a photo of one of the plants in a pot and the label on the pot says zone 4 - but either way it should be hardy enough to survive here. I am tempted.....all of my ground cover thyme died this spring because it was basically underwater in my soggy backyard this May into June.... :-(

I checked their site. The plug trays are $72 for 128 plugs, but you can also buy plants in 3" pots for about $5 a pop; there is a minimum order of 6 plants. I have not ordered from this seller so have no info for you, but Mountain Valley does have mostly positive reviews on the Garden Watchdog section of Dave's Garden: http://davesgarden.com/products/gwd/c/119/ There was only one recent review, but it was positive....

Holly