Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
skybirdforever

Skybirds Private Spring Swap Thread!

Well! I guess its not TOO privatesince anybody in the world can read it!

Hi all,

I have something like 130 plants that are promised to peopleand this is getting kind of confusing!

Im going to post the list of what I have down for who, and I need you all to let me know if I have you down for something you didnt request, or if you requested something and I didnt get you down for it!

If you want something that you havent asked for up until now, this is your last chance! Let me know. Im gonna be busy a couple days this week, and I still need to make up all the tags and label the bags Ill be putting all the earmarked ones in, so Im gonna be running out of time to make last minute changes.

Several of you said you wanted "sedums" or "semps" without specific varieties, so I just put you down for some. If its more than you want let me know! If its less than you wanttoo bad! All the hen & chicks are spoken for! I do still have some of the sedums leftand I could always bring sedum cuttings (with rooting directions) if somebody wants more of one Im out of!

I also have questions for some of you, so let me know the answers! If Ive asked you something and I dont get an answer, you probably wont get whatever it is Im asking about!

MINT!

I need to know which of you want plain or chocolate mint that you havent already had promised by somebody else! I kind of went down the list and found at least some of you that were looking for it, but I dont know if somebody else is already bringing some for you, so if I have you down for either or both of the mints and youre already getting some, please LET ME KNOW! That way theyll be available for somebody else who might want some, and if theres any left for the free-for-all, you can still grab an extra one!

Heres the list of what I have down for who as of right now! Its alphabetical by (sometimes abbreviated!) screen names, so find yourself and tell me if there are any corrections!

AlmondStriations

Myosotis

Campanula persicifolia

Anemone

Aquilegia

Geranium Compact Rose

Geranium Biokovo

Sweet Woodruff

Sedum spurium Tricolor

Sedum Angelina

Ajuga Royalty

Ajuga Chocolate Chip

Ajuga Arboretum Giant

Hen & chicks A, D, E, Icicle

Dianthus simulans See my info on the What Do You Want thread and let me know if you want to try it!

Viola

Which one of these do you wantor both? I have the purple violas that are like Johnny-jump-ups but the flowers are a little bit bigger, or I have the sweet violets which shoot their seeds all over the placeand reseed all over the place?

Let me know if you want some of the Knautia seed I asked you about over on the What Do You Want thread!

Angel

Aquilegia

Sedum Tricolor

Sedum ANGELINA

Sedum Blue Spruce

Sedum pachyclados

Sedum album

You wanted succulents do you want the 5 sedums listed above?

And all the hen & chicks I have potted up are promised, but I can bring you some chicks to start yourself! All you do is stick them in the soil! Two or threeor fourdifferent ones?

Alcea Ive promised the three I had, but if somebody doesnt show up for one of them, its yours! Would you like some seed, whether you get a plant or not? Its really easy to start from seed!

AutoDidact

White Nugget

Arboretum Giant

Chocolate Chip

Royalty

Semps A, B, D, E, Icicle

Sedum album

Sedum Angelina

Sedum pachyclados

Sedum Blue Spruce

Azura

Icicle

White Nugget

Bekajoi

Sweet woodruff

Royalty

Semps A, D, E, Icicle

I asked Bexay and Tobaira this, but Ill ask you too! Are you taking the things for one or both of them back to the Springs with you. I cant keep track of whos doing what anymore!

Bexay

These are "coming to you" via Bekajoi, arent they? I need to mark the bag so they get to the right person! Good luck with your knee! Hope you can make it to the Fall Swap

Icicle

Becky

Alcea

Cyndi

Plain mint

Chocolate mint

Seed for Datura

GinnyTrcka

Sweet Woodruff

Becky

Anemone

Aquilegia

Icicle

Royalty

Do you want some lavender seeds?

Is somebody bringing spider plant starts for you?

GreenBean

Zauschneria

Dianthus simulans See my info on the What Do You Want thread and let me know if you want to try it!

HighAlt

Zauschneria

Chocolate mint

Plain mint

Purple Emperor dont know if I ever told you about this one, but I started a small one just for you and it seems to be taking!

H Geist

Chocolate Chip

Royalty

Becky

Anemone

Sedum album

KarenGrow

Campanula persicifolia

Laura 42

Semps - A, B, D, E, Icicle

Chocolate mint

LindseyinEvergreen

Semps - A, B, D, E, Icicle

Do you want some lavender seed?

LuckyBottom

Chocolate Chip

Mayberry

Cobweb

White Nugget

Sedum album

Sedum pachyclados

Mstywoods

Plain mint

Chocolate mint

Royalty

White Nugget

Alcea

Polygonum & Serpent Moon

Alcea I dont remember! Do you want some seeds too?

Zauschneria

Goldsturm

Ajuga Royalty

Ajuga Chocolate Chip

Ajuga Arboretum Giant

Sedum album

Sedum pachyclados

Sedum Angelina

Sedum Blue Spruce

Sedum Tricolor

Honeysuckle bush

Myosotis

Plain mint

Chocolate mint

PowerMuffin

White Nugget

Semps A, E

The only Belamcanda, blackberry lily I had was gone by the time you asked for it, but I could bring you some seeds if you want to try them. Im not sure how easy they are to start, but I usually have seedlings coming up around mine in spring, so I think they may need to be cold stratified to germinate. Let me know!

ProvoGirl

Anemone

Campanula persicifolia

Aquilegia

Sheffield

Do you want some lavender seed?

RedleyGardener

Plain mint

Chocolate mint

Agastache foeniculum seed (Anise hyssop!)

Tobaira

Royalty

Sheffields

Aquilegia chrysantha

Im getting things mixed up! Is Bekajoi bringing your things back down to the Springs too? Need to know to mark the bag right!

TreeBarb

Anemone

Campanula persicifolia

Becky

Oak Trees Now who else would be asking for the oak trees, TREE Barb!

Were getting down to the wire here, folks! For those of you who said you "could" bring something, but nobody specifically asked for it, bring a couple anyway! That gives us more variety, and everything always goes during the free-for-all anyway! Somebody will be GLAD to have itwhatever IT is!

And please be sure to keep an eye on the other THREE swap threads too! There are still a few things we need people to bring that Ill be posting on the new "food" threadas soon as I have time!

Verify your list NOW!

See you all in SIX days,

Skybird

Comments (22)

• kareng_grow
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Hello Skybird,
    I would love some plain and chocolate mint added to my list. Sorry to add at this late date but the other thread got too long and confusing.
    To recap for everyone reading this, I will bring some black pearl tomato seedlings, ancho pepper seedlings, and container cucumber seedlings. I'll also be bringing a spider plant baby or two.

• bekajoi
    13 years ago

I am bringing Tobira's stuff for sure (to and from), have not been contacted by Bexay but I'd be happy to grab things for CoSpgs peeps that cannot make it. Those interested just need to buzz me so I know what I need to get! :)

My list for me looks just perfect. :) Thanks!! You are amazing for keeping all this straight LOL!

• eastautumn
    13 years ago

Thanks Skybird!!! I would love either or both of the violas. I don't have any and would love to try anything- and I don't mind things that spread because I still have lots of empty beds to fill.

I'm game to try the Dianthus simulans if you've already potted it up. I have an area between our house and garage by the door we use everyday where I can easily keep a close eye on stuff and have it be protected from too much sun and wind.

I would love some Knautia seed! It's worth a try for sure.

Also, thanks for the tips on what people will likely be interested in. I will pot up some of everything I can by Sunday and bring it along. I'm really excited!!!

• ginnytrcka
    13 years ago

Some lavender seeds would be great. I've got some seedling started from seeds from the Fall swap. I have an entire field I would like to see covered in lavender. Everything else looks great. Not worried about the spider plant right now. The kids and animals are keeping me busy--I probably shouldn't add too many houseplants to the mix!

It's likely I actually won't be able to make it in person. My in-laws are coming in last minute here. I'm hoping bekajoi will see this and I can get her my stuff to take / pick up. I live in the Springs. I have some orange mint for a few people and some chives to bring.

Bekajoi?

• lindseyinevergreen
    13 years ago

Thanks Skybird! You are incredible, and you are generous. The list looks great, and I would love some lavender seed. Also, I would like to take whatever sedum (I can get) you need to get off your hands.

:) Thanks again!

• provogirl
    13 years ago

Skybird,

I don't know how you keep up with all of this, it must be exhausting! I would love some lavender seed please. Thanks for all your hard work and generosity. I can't wait to meet everyone at the swap!

ProvoGirl

• serpent_moon
    13 years ago

Skybird- yes we want seeds too. and thank you :^)

• greenbean08_gw
    13 years ago

I read the info and yes, I would like to try both of them. Thanks!

• Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ill be back tomorrow to verify your responses, but I wanted to get this in here today so you all could see it!

When I was gathering stuff from the perennial beds yesterday to replace a few of the swap things that hadnt been doing too well, I cut one of the "paddles" off of my cactusto keep from being bit while I was working near it!

This is an Opuntia, or prickly pear type cactus. I dont know what color the flowers are, because mine doesnt get enough sunyetto bloom, but I never met a cactus flower I didnt likemake that love! So if anybody has a sunny, xeric place to put in a cactus, Ill bring it along for you. Theyre VERY easy to start! And if more than one person wants one, I can EASILY cut off another or a few more pads. Its getting too bigand dangerousconsidering its in a spot where I need to work around it frequently!

If anybody wants an Opuntia, let me know!

Skybird

P.S. Here are most of my swap plants---plus a few more I potted up yesterday and a few I potted up to replace some of the ones that aren't looking too good!

• treebarb Z5 Denver
    13 years ago

Skybird, where would we be without you?!
    You have me covered. I'm bringing lilies and dahlias for you.
    Thanks so much for all of your efforts. This is going to be a great swap!
    Barb

• mstywoods
    13 years ago

I would love some lavender seeds as well, if you have any extra left!

Thanks Skybird - you are awesome!!

• powermuffin
    13 years ago

Geez, you are a one-woman wonder! Don't worry about the blackberry seeds, I get some next year when our garden is fully planned out.
    See you Sunday,
    Diane

Original Author
    13 years ago

Ok, guys! I was planning to do this earlier and just didnt have time! No guarantees on this, but if I can find the time Ill bring seeds for anyone who wants some. I usually try to find time to post a full description with any plants or seeds I have available, but this time itll just be a list!

This is all collected seed -- no commercial seed!

Some of these seeds are 2 or 3 years old (but so are half the seeds you PAY for!), but to the best of my knowledge theyre all still perfectly useableand youre not paying for them! If you want more info about somethingI dont have time to replyBUTif you search for HiAlts old Seed Exchange threads, you can probably find where Ive previously posted the information! Just be sure you use the search box on the bottom of RMG (next to "todays birthdays") so youre only searching RMG and not all of GW! I just checked and all three seed exchange threads will come up, and even the 08 one where I posted pics of a bunch of them. AND REMEMBER those threads are no longer active, so just use them for my plant descriptions and NOT to request seeds from somebody else!

You can also find pictures and additional information for most of these if you search just RMG for the Latin name of each. Most of them Ive posted picture(s) of over the years!

If you want some of the seeds, please tell me what you want IN A LIST form, rather than in a sentence! Its quicker for me to go down a list than it is to pick individual items out of a sentence!

Heres the list!

Perennials:
    ~ Alcea rosea - mixed colors - single hollyhock
    ~ Alcea rosea Nigra, single black hollyhock (this is '05 seed--after that I had other colors, so I wasn't able to get new seed since they cross, but I'm virtually certain this seed is still viable)
    ~ Aquilegia chrysantha, Columbine, VERY fragrant yellow flowers
    ~ Armeria pseudarmeria
    ~ Aruncus dioicus
    ~ Belamcanda chinensis, Blackberry Lily
    ~ Callirhoe involucrata, Wine cup, Poppy mallow, seed germination VERY irregular - may take months cold stratification MAY help some, seed scarification may help too. This one's a "tough nut to crack!"
    ~ Crocosmia Lucifer
    ~ Cyclamen hederifolium, hardy cyclamen, white
    ~ Dianthus barbatus, mixed, tall (18") Sweet William
    ~ Heracluim lehmannianum, Mongolian Cow Parsnip
    ~ Hibiscus moscheutos Disco Belle Pink
    ~ Lavandula angustifolia, English Lavender, Munstead or Hidcote
    ~ Papaver somniferum, mixed, Opium poppies, Breadseed poppies
    ~ Rudbeckia fulgida Goldsturm
    ~ Penstemon strictus, Rocky Mountain Penstemon
    ~ Thalictrum aquilegiafolium

HERBS:
    ~ Agastache foeniculum, Anise hyssop, Licorice mint
    ~ Foeniculum vulgare 'Rubrum', bronze fennel (was grown near dill, and apparently they cross!)
    ~ Common dill!
    ~ Garlic chives

ANNUALS: (but reseed prolifically!)
    ~ Snapdragons, Mixed colors, 12-24" high
    ~ Nicandra - 2007 seed

No promisesbut Ill try!

Skybird

P.S. I have you down for the lavender seed, Misty!

• bexay6211
    13 years ago

May I have
    hollyhock seeds (both)
    munstead lavendar
    please? You are so generous thank you so much!
    Bexay

• polygonum_tinctorium
    13 years ago

Yes, please, on the hollyhock seeds. Any mix will do.

I appreciate your kindness and generosity so much. Thank you for all that you do!

Original Author
    13 years ago

Updating!

KarenGrow, I have you down for one of each of the mints, but I wont know for sure on these if I have enough till I sort them all out!

Almond, I have you down for the simulans, one of each of the violas/violets, and some Knautia seed.

Ginny, Ill put the lavender seeds in and Ill send your stuff with Bekajoi. When you get to the point that your lavenders are blooming, and you let them go to seed, youll find them coming up all over the place the following spring!

Lindsey, Ive added sedums Angelina, pachyclados, Blue Spruce, and Tricolor, and can put in some cuttings for Dragons Blood and Sedum album. And I have you down for some lavender seed.

ProvoGirl lavender seed on the way!

Serpent/Polygonum mixed hollyhocks!

Bean, youll get the simulans to try!

Misty lavender seeds!

Bexay - hollyhock seed X 2 and lavender seed!

Beka, well see on the day of the swap if I manage to keep this all straight or not! LOL There have been a few days here recently that have had my (dizzy anyway from past concussion!) head spinning!

And all the "organizing" is in the computer which has Alzheimers! So if IT suddenly dies, were ALL out of luck!

Muffin, starting to wish I WERE Wonder Woman! And, I usually get a seedling or two coming up around my blackberry lily in spring, so, assuming I do again next year, if youre quick enough, you can probably snag a real plant rather than just seeds!

I still need specific answers from a few of you, and if I have you down for either or both of the MINTS and you don't want/need it/them anymore, PLEASE let me know so somebody else can get them.

The weather is supposed to be beautiful on Sunday!

Skybird

• highalttransplant
    13 years ago

Hey Skybird, I'd love to have some of the Crocosmia 'Lucifer' seeds. Do you remember how bad the grasshoppers ate mine last year? Well, it didn't come back. I wintersowed some seeds I had, but no sign of those either. Thanks!

BTW, there are about a bazillion baby grasshoppers all over my yard, and I'm beginning to get a little nervous ...

Bonnie

Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Bonnie,

I have you down for some of the seeds! I suspect they'll be easiest if you wait and winter sow them this winter. But if you have that many grasshoppers showing up already, I think you're going to have a real problem this summer. The smaller they are, the easier they are to kill, and I seriously recommend you get a "few" cans of ant and roach spray and get as many of them as you can NOW. When they get big, they're almost impossible to kill! I don't know how much good you can do with all the vacant land around you, but any you kill now will be fewer later on---and fewer to breed!

See you on Sunday,
    Skybird

• mayberrygardener
    13 years ago

Skybird, I think you've got me covered--and you ARE an amazing woman! (Maybe that's Amazing Woman... a new breed of superhero? LOL)

I might be game for some
    -Lavender seed if you have any extra; our birdbath needs it!

Original Author
    13 years ago

Mayberry, I've added some lavender seed for you, and I have you down for "attempting" one of the simulans!

• laura_42
    13 years ago

Bonnie -- Thanks so much for trying to keep things organized! I would be happy to let someone else have my earmarked chocolate mint, as I've recently acquired some of my own.

Can't wait to add those hens and chicks to my rocky border...

Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, Laura! The chocolate mint is now going to somebody else! Maybe Ill stick an extra little surprise in your bag! :-)

~~~ EVERYBODY READ THIS! ~~~

Im putting this at the bottom of each thread to try to be sure as many people as possible see it!

Angel has changed the location of the swap. If you dont already know about it, go to her "IMPORTANT - location change for Sundays Spring Swap" thread and post or email if you have any questions, and Ive posted possible directions on my "Final Spring Swap 2010 Information Thread," which Ill be trying to follow today to help if anybody has questions!

Skybird