Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
todds_sweetpea

Any one have luck growing a Daphne?

todds_sweetpea
12 years ago

I've been looking for the name of this shrub since seeing (smelling!) one last year around this time! Specifically, it's the Variegated Winter Daphne. Saw them for sale at a garden center here (SLC, UT) but now I've done some reading and they appear to only be hardy in zone 7-9.

The one I saw growing was here in zone 5, but it was at a botanical garden, so I don't know what kind of crazy help they had to give it, if any.

Anyone attempted to grow one, or have tips for me, before I go blow a wad on a plant that I'm going to kill?

Comments (10)

• Dan _Staley (5b Sunset 2B AHS 7)
    12 years ago

Count on having it for a few years only. Second, you need a special place with excellent drainage, coarse soil, acidic, morning sun (dappled better), and protected from dessicating winds. If you can't provide all of these things then spend your money on something else.

When I planted one for clients in CA, I charged them extra for the extra work I had to do and made triply sure they understood that there was a decent chance it wouldn't make it. At my house in Sacto it took me three times to get one to take.

Dan

• oakiris
    12 years ago

I tried growing a Daphne here in Colorado - the 'Carol Mackie' cultivar. I had it in the shade and protected from the wind, and it actually survived for a couple of years but never really took off and then died. Needless to say, it didn't like the clay alkaline soil we have here.

I thought it was worth a try and it did flower at least once - wonderful fragrance - but I won't try it again. They still sell daphne's here in Colorado, but I can't imagine that anyone here is able to get one to thrive. Perhaps you'll have better luck in Utah!

Holly

• kvenkat
    12 years ago

The Denver Botanical Gardens has some Daphne specimens which caught my eye. Glad to know that just because they are able to grow it does not mean that I will be as sucessful. Seems like kind of a tease, eh?

• Dan _Staley (5b Sunset 2B AHS 7)
    12 years ago

They have Viburnum carlesii too. It must be nice to have legions of grad students baby the tender plants.

Dan

• eastautumn
    12 years ago

Maybe we have a slightly different climate here a little north west of Denver, but I have seen many happy Carol Mackie Daphne shrubs in my neighborhood. One yard I visited has a HUGE and very healthy one (it had to have been over 5 feet wide and almost as tall) in her foundation planting bed. I asked her to make sure it was actually what it looked like, and she confirmed that it was. I have one neighbor (facing northeast) who has several very happy ones surrounding her front porch that are very mature and have been there longer than the 6 years I've lived here. My next door neighbor has 2 healthy ones (also facing northeast) flanking her front porch steps. They are in full bloom now and look beautiful. I don't think any of my neighbors do anything to baby their shrubs. I have been planning to get one for my yard once I figure out a good spot. We do get a lot of wind in this area.

There are also quite a few Viburnum Carlesii shrubs around here that look good to me. They don't grow very densely from what I've seen, but I think their structure would be perfect to grow clematis vines through.

• trace_in_the_ranch
    12 years ago

I have two huge Carol Mackie Daphne's in my front yard and just planted one in the back. The ones in the front(western exposure)were planted by a landscaper who pretty much just dug out the clay and plopped it in. Never had any problems with them, never fertilized them. I didn't even know they were difficult to grow! They are my favorite plant because of the abundance of fragrant flowers in the spring. These two Daphne's have been in my yard for 6 years now. Maybe I was lucky, we'll see how the other Daphne fares.

• oakiris
    12 years ago

trace_in_the_ranch - where do you live (statewise) and in what zone?

It is amazing that your daphnes do so well with western exposure. I assume they get zapped by the afternoon sun; is this a full sun location so they get sun all day?

Anyway, you are lucky and I am envious!!

Holly

• aljoedfro
    9 years ago

its all about the hole you put them in. it should be at least twice as wide, well-tilled and properly amended for good drainage. handle it like a little bird when you plant it and take your time filling it in. from then on, water it regularly when needed but always let it dry out between waterings, never let it sit in wet soil for more than 2-3 days. root rot is responsible for almost all cases of sudden daphne death.

• aurorawa
    9 years ago

I have a 7 year old Daphne Odora 'Marginata' that is growing very nicely in a sheltered spot near my front walkway. It receives dappled sunlight. My type does not like wet feet, but it also dislikes drying out completely. Also, it resented me transplanting it, but after 2 worrying weeks, it perked right up. I planted it in a fertile, humus rich soil that is slightly acidic. Seems to be thriving.

• aloha2009
    9 years ago

I've seen beautiful Daphne specimens in full sun and part shade doing quite well.

I purchased one in the fall of 2012. After having read how delicate they can be I was very concerned, especially since we purchased a 5 gallon size. It has been doing well. I have it on the East side of the house in a raised planter bed that had great soil - don't know what they put in it. It's very protected. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. This was a splurge plant so I'm hoping it will keep going.