Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
b2alicia

Happy Spring, Rocky Mt gardeners! Project #3

b2alicia
10 years ago

On the south side of the back yard is a small fenced-in area that originally must have been used as a vegetable garden. But the trees have grown so much, that it's way too shady now.

Also, there's some metal edging along the border next to the small rocks, but the tree roots have grown so much, that the sharp edging is always tricky to step over now.

So I'm taking all the fencing out, have most of the green ones out already. Dunno what's next.

Comments (20)

• digit
    10 years ago

It is fun looking at your projects, 'Alicia.

Clicking your photo's takes us to a larger picture in your picture gallery.

(We will need an aerial shot at some point in time. ;o)

Steve

• b2alicia
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Steve!

Not sure really what to do with that space... I don't want to put in more grass, but I also don't want to just leave it bare for weeds to take over.

Have you ever grown hostas? That area right inside the south fence is very shady and I hear they like shade,

• digit
    10 years ago

Only a few hostas . . . Actually, they are on the south side of my house but - the north side of a large tree.

It is a wonderful location for them but I am going to have to get the mint that is crowding them under control!

I've allowed this sort of thing elsewhere, also. Not really the mint, altho' there is lemon balm squeezing some Canterbury bells on the north side of the greenhouse. No, the mountain bluet is taking over in places!

It has really suppressed the bleeding hearts, heuchera and lady ferns. The bluet doesn't even do that well in shade! It has real problems with mildew.

Steve

• b2alicia
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Making some progress...tearing it down first.

Cleaning it up...

This is a good way for me to keep a record of my garden diary. :)

• b2alicia
    Original Author
    10 years ago

New pictures...gradual progress!

The raised square bed will be for yellow crookneck squash, one winter squash, and a few ears of corn. I found a few small plants at O'tooles yesterday, not realizing we were having gale force winds. :) I'll put them in the pots tomorrow after the winds are supposed to die down.

I read something on Pinterest (be careful! You can spend hours and hours there!) about growing celery from a bunch in your fridge...trying that out now.

• b2alicia
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yippee!
    Most of my new little veggie plants are in their pots now.

{{gwi:1199907}}

First from left to right is the lettuce, then the peas, then empty pot, then sweet potato vine, then black-eyed peas.

First try, so crossing my fingers!

Oh, btw, thanks Steve for the info about the Hostas. I did see some at O'tooles nursery but they were VERY pricey, so I decided to pass on them for now.

• popmama (Colorado, USDA z5)
    10 years ago

You can get inexpensive hostas at Walmart. I've purchased a few on their clearance rack recently. You can also ask neighbors for a bit of theirs if you see any. They are very easy to dig/divide. I've taken pieces of them from the public area of our housing development. (I know! I'm bad!)

If I go to the Fall swap, I can bring some. I have about 6 varieties that are quite prolific.

This picture was taken several years ago, they are MUCH bigger now. I'll take some more pics tomorrow or Thursday.

• b2alicia
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh wow, moma! Those are beautiful!
    I looked yesterday at Walmart, and the Hostas I saw were $10 each. They were in fairly large pots with several plants in them. I'd love to see new pictures!

I'm also smitten with Bleeding Hearts.. yours is just wonderful. Mine is just starting to bloom this year, and I love to check it every day.

I planted it from a bulb just in a small pot in 2010

And here it is today! :)

10 years ago

Yea, I'm kind of cheap and ten bucks is a bit much for hostas from Walmart. I swear they had some really small ones that were only $3 a few weeks ago. I'd be willing to share some of mine if you are interested, I could dig you a few pieces. You probably wouldn't get much out of them this year though.

I only have the one bleeding heart but it's been in that spot for years. This year, it was practically whacked by that late April snow. I thought it wasn't going to bloom at all. But lo and behold it managed to pull itself out and it bloomed. I should get another one of those. I promise pictures. I didn't get outside at all today.

I've also been desperately trying to get lillies of the valley to grow over there on the dark side of the house (as I call it) also known as "the place where old pots go to die". Last year, someone on Craigslist wanted to get rid of their lillies of the valley. I went to their house and dug up two flats of them, planted them on that side of the house. This year, I think there is one. ONE! One of these days, I will prevail though.

• margaretmontana
    10 years ago

I tried several times to get lilies of the valley to grow on the north side of the house with no luck. I finally tucked some in a the west side of the garage and they went to town and keep coming up in the lawn. I keep digging them out and they keep filling in the spots I idig them out. Maybe in some areas they grow on the north side well but not in my yard. Same with the orange poppies that I tried in several places. The kind that spread and now they cover the whole west side of the garage.

10 years ago

Hosta pics from today. This is the North side of my house. I call it the Alley or "where old pots go to die".

Bleeding heart and hostas

Hostas and my tiny silver fern

I have more hostas but the pics didn't turn out very well. I'll try again tomorrow. :-)

• b2alicia
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh those are wonderful , moma!
    If you have time, I would love a few cuttings. I live near 92nd and Wadsworth, and I'd be happy to come pick them up. Or, if you prefer, you could bring them over, I'll fix a quick lunch, and you can meet Percy. :)

10 years ago

b2alicia: We should arrange for you to come over and I can dig you pieces of any of them. I don't live very far from you. I'll send you private message with my email address.

Here are a few more pics I got today.

Hosta and small Clematis

There are actually three Hostas in this pic. One is very small in the center. The one on the left is the one I took a dig from the public area of my housing development (couldn't help myself I love the two-tone color!)

The Rose of Sharon you see in that picture on the left is a volunteer that arrived after I had some others just like it removed. I might have more babies of those for the Fall swap.

• b2alicia
    Original Author
    10 years ago

mama, that sounds fine!
    This weekend is pretty booked up, but next week would be fine. Ok to transplant hostas then?

Yours are just wonderful. I like your deck too!

• b2alicia
    Original Author
    10 years ago

So here's today's version...
    Still playing around with that spot.

So, this Saturday I'm planning to pick up mulch at the free city pick- up, and put it on top of the fabric.

I combined the lettuces and parsley and the celery into the big black pot on top of the white bucket.

I planted my squash seeds in the raised bed behind the two black pots. The one you see growing is a winter squash I bought as a seeding. The green pot has the peas. :)

And thanks so much to popamoma for the swap of her hostas! I'm checking them every day.

Any ideas? The fence is on the south side of the yard.

This post was edited by b2alicia on Wed, Jun 26, 13 at 10:29

• jaliranchr
    10 years ago

Looking wonderful, Alicia!

• b2alicia
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you, Jal!

I'll be bringing home as much of that free mulch as I can fit in my car on Saturday, and I'll spread it out over the fabric. Then.... well, I dunno what else.

Except I really want to put in some pretty shade perennials back along the fence with the new baby hostas.

• b2alicia
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Mulch is in!

Still have some tidying up to do, and maybe some more veggies in pots.

10 years ago

Looks good!

• b2alicia
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, mama!