Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
skybirdforever

Spring Swap 2011 - The things we'll need!

Hi fellow swapers and swapees,

Here are the things we'll need for the swap. If you can help with any of this stuff, let me know and I'll keep/post a list of who's bringing what and let you know what we still need.

First, I'll be providing the name badges, the numbers for the first two rounds of picking plants, and napkins--in my snazzy (from FreeCycle) Windproof Napkin Holder!

CHAIRS - CHAIRS - CHAIRS

I have 4 folding chairs! Period! I need a bunch of people to bring some chairs! I have 38 people down on the list as planning to/hoping to come right now! That means we need a whole bunch of chairs! Please let me know if you have some "portable" chairs you can bring, and how many, and I'll post when it looks like there are enough.

TABLES

I was checking out my table situation, and I'm pretty sure I'll have enough tables for everything, so not asking for any of those!

UTENSILS: We'll need utensils - and Jennifer has already volunteered to bring those, so not asking for any of that either!

PLATES: We'll need enough paper/plastic plates for everyone. I'd say 50 to be sure. If you'll bring some, but don't want to bring that many, say so and I'll look for a couple people to get enough.

CUPS: Ok! All my styrofoam cups have plants in them--and holes punched in the bottom of them! Need some cups! Probably more than 50 so if somebody looses theirs--or somebody sticks a plant in it--they can get another one! Maybe a couple different sizes so people have a choice!

ICE: I'm thinking 2 bags of ice cubes should be plenty! I have coolers to keep it in.

DRINKS: I'll be providing a couple types of iced tea, but I was thinking that if someone is willing to bring a few cans of frozen lemonade or limeade (or something else!??), we could have a choice of beverages! I should have enough pitchers to mix it in. (Not expecting a cold day, but if that should happen, I'll have hot water for hot tea too!)

So that's what we need! Who can help with CHAIRS, plates, cups, ice, drinks?

PHOTOGRAPHERS! Also requesting that a couple people plan to bring their cameras and take some pics for us. I'll be taking a few, but I'll be running around a lot and probably won't get too many---and, I got my first Mac over winter, and I still don't have Picasa in it, so I won't be able to post even the few pics I wind up taking for now at least!

HOT FOOD! One more thing! A few months ago I got this really cool 3 section crock pot buffet server thingie, and if there are 3 people who know for sure they're bringing some sort of a hot dish they'd like to dump into one of these 2.5-quart dishes to keep it hot, I'll get it out. If there aren't 3 people, it won't pay to get it out and it'll just waste space on the table. If you're bringing something hot you'd like to put in it, let me know. If I don't get 3 takers for this and somebody wants to bring something in a crock pot, I'll make arrangements to have electricity out to the table. Just let me know!

Let me know what you can help with.

Fifteen days and counting,

Skybird

Comments (28)

• catnohat
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I will bring cups and lemon brownies! (maybe regular brownies too)
    I think my last folding chair unfolded for the last time.Can't help there.
    See you soon,
    Cat

• mstywoods
    12 years ago

I have 50 18oz plastic cups I can bring, and 3 folding canvas chairs (they don't look real nice as they are a bit faded, but they'll provide some seating!). I'll check in later to see if we still need more things, and will bring something else as well. And of course, I'll bring food, too. Just not sure what yet!

Thanks Skybird!!!

Oooo - LEMON brownies?!! Sounds deelish, Cat! What sized cups are you bringing? If they are the same size as mine, I'll bring something else.

• jclepine
    12 years ago

Yep, I'm still planning on bringing utensils but only knives, forks and spoons, no serving spoons.
    Thanks Skybird for getting this started!

Jennifer

• provogirl
    12 years ago

I have 6 chairs that I can bring....and a folding table if you need it Skybird. Shoot me a email if you think we will need it or I will leave it at home. I am probably bringing butter mochi again.

• gjmancini
    12 years ago

I will bring a couple bags of ice.

• sorie6 zone 6b
    12 years ago

I can bring chairs I think I have 6.

• billie_ladybug
    12 years ago

K, I will grab some plates for this shindig. I can also grab my camera, but I have not had time to set anything up for sharing, so good old e-mail will have to do.

Billie

• pumpkin2010
    12 years ago

Put me down for 4 folding chairs! I can also plan to bring a couple cans of frozen lemonade/etc (2? 4? you tell me how many you need/want).

Also - I'm afraid I'm not doing well with the delphinium, Skybird. It's been surprisingly difficult to keep happy. (But you knew this!) Hopefully you won't be devastated if I bring a crusty, brown stem in a pot?

• treebarb Z5 Denver
    12 years ago

I have 4 folding chairs and I think I have some camping chairs I can dig out and clean up.

My mom is coming with me if you need to know that for headcount, skybird.

Oh, pumpkin, I'm feeling your pain. I left my veggie seedlings out in what I thought was a protected spot on Monday and the wind shredded them. I'm bringing some really lame plants this time! I guess not every year is going to be a banner year and hopefully we'll be forgiven.

I'm leaning toward bring one of those giant sub sandwiches and a couple of bags of chips.

Jc, thanks for the reminder to bring serving spoons for the dishes.

Barb

• aloha2009
    12 years ago

Wow, am I lucky that you haven't had your annual spring trade yet, it sounds like so much fun!

I have 8 chairs I can bring along with lemonade. I'll bring some food of some sort, but will likely decide just beforehand.

• kvenkat
    12 years ago

I'd like to bring some food. Don't know yet what.
    Off I go to sift through my recipe stash...

• billie_ladybug
    12 years ago

BTW - I have 2 4x4 folding tables and 12 chairs. They are all in boxes in the barn, so since I am bringing manure in buckets/tubs, I will be able to bring the tables and chairs (its easier to bring both I think). And the plates, of course.

Billie

• Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you to everybody who's offered to bring some of the things we'll need! Here's who I have down for what so far!

CHAIRS
    Skybird ----- 4 chairs
    Misty ------- 3 camp chairs
    ProvoGirl ---- 6 chairs
    Sorie -------- 6 chairs
    Pumpkin ----- 4 chairs
    TreeBarb ---- 4 chairs + some camp chairs maybe
    Aloha -------- 8 chairs
    Billie -------- 12 chairs (and 2 card tables)

I show 39 people coming at this point, including the guests some people have mentioned, so with Billie's 12 chairs, it looks like we should have plenty now, even if more people sign up at the very last minute or if there are additional guests that people decide to bring.

PLATES
    Billie

CUPS
    CatNoHat
    Misty - 50 18 oz.

Cat, since Misty is going to bring 18 oz. size, maybe you could bring some that are smaller than that.

"SILVERWARE"
    Jennifer

ICE
    GJMancini

GJ, I'll have a couple styrofoam coolers under the table when you get here that you can put the ice in.

DRINKS
    Pumpkin - lemonade
    Aloha --- lemonade

Pumpkin, plan to bring at least two cans, and if you want to bring more than that, it works for me! Aloha, the same thing! Plan to bring at least two, and any additional is up to you. If anybody else wants to volunteer to bring a couple cans of lemonade or limeade, let me know and I'll add your name to the list.

Provo, I don't think I'll need your table, so you can leave it at home, and, Billie, I don't think I'll need yours either, but if you're gonna stick them in anyway, I'll remember you have them just in case. With as many people as are on the list, it's hard to predict, but we might wind up needing one or both of them for the food.

PICTURES
    Billie has said that she'll bring her camera, but if somebody else is willing to play photographer too, it's always interesting to see the pics different people decide to take.

OTHER THINGS

Jennifer has already mentioned this, but EVERYBODY, please be sure there's a serving spoon with your dish if it will be needed, and please be sure your dish is covered--and will be able to be "recovered" to keep the flies off of it. (All my neighbors have dogs, and a couple of them rarely "clean up the yard," and while it's usually not a problem, when there's food out in the yard, all the flies from THEIR yards seem to find MY yard very quickly! I'll have a roll of plastic wrap out there too, to replace anything that needs it, but definitely have a cover of some sort for your food!)

Assuming we have nice weather, a lot of you will be in the sun for at least part of the day, so I just want to remind everyone that you might want to slather yourself with sunscreen before you come, or bring some along with you. I know at last year's Spring Swap there were people who got sunburned!

I've taken a lot of the names of people that are coming from either this thread or the Bringing/Want thread, and I'm not sure some of you have seen the posting of all the Basic Swap Information at the very beginning of the main swap thread! If you haven't already seen that, you can go there to find out anything and everything you may want to know about the Pot Luck and about How the Swap Works. I'm linking it below to make it easy to check out. I'll be updating that one soon!

Just over a week to go! We're all glad (those of us in the Metro area at least!) for the rain we just got, but now is the time to be keeping our fingers crossed that we get the world's most perfect day for the swap!

Skybird

P.S. Pumpkin, you're right, I'm not too surprised you're having trouble with the Delphinium! If you think there's any hope for it, leave it dry out almost the whole way before watering it again--AT LEAST 90%. They don't seem to mind the water when they're in the ground, but they really don't like it at all when they're in pots--especially if they aren't well rooted out yet, which your isn't. If there's any possibility at all by swap time, bring it with you and I'll see what I can do with it. Remember, it's the roots that are the important part, not the crusty brown stem! ;-)

Here is a link that might be useful: Spring Swap - 2011

• gardenfiend
    12 years ago

Skybird, I will bring my camera and play "Shutter Bug" for the swap. I will bring some serving spoons for the food if you like. I can bring cups &/or plates too. How about napkins or a couple rolls of paper towels? Since I have not been to a swap before may I ask if there will be a problem parking? I have a toyota truck and hope that's not a problem? I am looking forward to seeing your beautiful garden flowers in person! Let me know if you want me to bring any of these things. %):> gardenfiend

• billie_ladybug
    12 years ago

If nothing else gardenfiend, you can park in the bed of my truck, LOL. If you can't park your toyota, I'm afraid of what I will have to do with my dodge. Looked at the map and it looks like there is a park at the end of the road, so we should be able to park there if nothing else works.

Looking forward to seeing everyone Sunday

Billie

• nunchucks
    12 years ago

I haven't been on for a while! I can't keep up, you're all too active. I will definately make some grub - I am thinking some sort of quiche that I can bung in the oven while I work on the retaining wall!
    I can't help with chairs - we finally just got a dining set LOL! Loooking forward to seeing you all this Sunday. cheers

• jclepine
    12 years ago

Hey all, there is usually no issue with parking, seems to be lots of room on the street.

I'm so glad you mentioned the sunscreen, Skybird, I try to wear a big hat and tons of sunscreen to the swap but I always wind up ten shades browner the next day! It would probably be a good idea if we all brought sunscreen along with us, so we can re-apply.

All I can think of, besides the swap, is "butter mochi"!! Those were so yummy and different that I can't wait to have some :)

• mstywoods
    12 years ago

Skybird - did you get 3 people for bringing hot food?

Marj

Original Author
    12 years ago

Haven't heard from anybody about that at this point, Misty! It sounds like you might have something, so I'll remind everyone!

I have a THREE SECTION BUFFET SERVER with three 2.5 quart "hot pots" with individual heat controls! IF there are THREE PEOPLE who have a dish they'd like to put in it, I'll get it out. Less than three, I won't because it'll just waste too much space on the table.

It sounds like Misty might have something to put in the one "pot," DOES ANYBODY ELSE HAVE THE SORT OF DISH THEY'D LIKE TO KEEP HOT IN THE BUFFET SERVER???

LET ME KNOW NOW, so I know if I should get it up and ready!

Misty, if I don't get any other takers, let me know if you want me to get electricity out to the food table for a crock pot.

Don't have time for more right now, but I'll be back!

Skybird

• mstywoods
    12 years ago

I was thinking on bringing chili, Skybird. I don't have a crockpot, so will be bringing in a large pot (6 qt size most likely). Will that fit on your buffet server?

I'll be sure to bring some disposable bowls as well.

If no one else is bringing a hot dish, I do have a electric rice cooker that I could bring the chili in to keep it warm, if you'd rather just run an extension cord to the table for that one item.

Hoping for great weather!

• lattefairy
    12 years ago

Skybird - I am planning to take homemade spaghetti with homemade sauce. Not sure if all will fit in one buffet section or two, but that would really help keep the pasta warm.

My friend GardenDreamer will be taking a crockpot with Pull Apart pork and buns.

• mstywoods
    12 years ago

Getting hungry already! Meant to say earlier that if anyone else was planning on bringing chili, let me know. Maybe we can bring two different kinds - like white and red, etc. There are so many ways to make chili, I'm sure we can work something out! I was planning on traditional red/beef chili, but I'm open to making a different type.

Marj

• kvenkat
    12 years ago

I might be the only one who does not eat meat. So I will bring some vegetarian chile-cheese tamale bites with some salsa on the side. These don't need to be served hot but they could be if Skybird needs a third user for her buffet warming set.

Original Author
    12 years ago

Here's the most recent update on who's bringing what of the things we need! It looks to me like we have plenty of everything now! If anybody else wants to bring their camera, the more the merrier!

CHAIRS
    Skybird ----- 4 chairs
    Misty ------- 3 camp chairs
    ProvoGirl ---- 6 chairs
    Sorie -------- 6 chairs
    Pumpkin ----- 4 chairs
    TreeBarb ---- 4 chairs + some camp chairs maybe
    Aloha -------- 8 chairs
    Billie -------- 12 chairs 9and 2 card tables)

PLATES
    Billie
    Misty is bringing bowls for her chili!

CUPS
    CatNoHat - smaller
    Misty - 50 18 oz.
    GardenFiend - "styrofoam cups"

"SILVERWARE"
    Jennifer

ICE
    GJMancini

DRINKS
    Pumpkin - lemonade - 3 cans
    Aloha --- lemonade
    GardenFiend - two 1-gallon bottles of fruit punch

PHOTOGRAPHERS
    Billie
    GardenFiend

BUFFET SERVER -- Here are the 3 people I have down to use a "compartment" in the buffet server!

~~~ LatteFairy \- Spaghetti/homemade sauce did I read you right that just one compartment will work for you? If not, KvenKat said hers doesn't necessarily need to be heated! I'll let the two of you figure it out between you! ~~~ KvenKat \- chili\-cheese tamale bites w/salsa. And there WILL be electricity out to the food table, so anyone bringing something in a crock pot or whatever will be able to plug it in! Skybird
    Original Author
    12 years ago

There's one more thing that I could use for the demo!

Can anyone bring me about 8 to 12 of the larger/lower leaves of Achillea millefolium? That's the kind with the really "lacy" leaves like in the picture linked below.

I think somebody's bringing some Achillea to swap, but I don't want to be pulling leaves off of something someone's gonna take home with them!

Let me know if you have it and are willing to bring some leaves,
    Skybird

Here is a link that might be useful:

• dernybor_gmail_com
    12 years ago

I'll bring some cups and chairs too.
    I'll also bring a few things to drink.

I'm posting here and in the swap section in hopes that I may be able to ear mark a few last minute items, but if not, I'll see what is left over with the free-for-all

Amester - agastache, red valerian
    Skybird - shadow anemone, sweet woodruff, sweet violet
    mstywoods - hosta, lungwort
    lattefairy - tansy (I can dig a few pips of lilly of the vally that have started to sprout for you)
    catnohat - orange poppies, snap dragons, raspberries.

Actually, anyone with raspberry starts, I would love to put my hands on a few.

See you tomorrow!!!!

• singcharlene
    12 years ago

Hi all,

I'm so bummed out that I don't think I'm going to make it to the swap tomorrow. :( I've been in bed all day with what feels like the flu, fever, chills, cough, congestion, weak. A friend said she had it last week and the doctor said it was a virus going around not the flu.

I was really looking forward to coming and seeing everyone. I'll miss getting tomatoes this year!!

Have fun!

Charlene

• jclepine
    12 years ago

I'm bummed you aren't feeling well, Charlene! And, totally bummed you won't be able to make it. I hope you feel much better very soon!

Jennifer