Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rules, Laws, and all that good stuff!!

Posted by Outsidethebox none (My Page) on
Sat, May 4, 13 at 2:34

Am I allowed to sell herbal teas(or even dried herbs in general) if I grow all the herbs myself?

I have been searching online and cant seem to find the answer.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rules, Laws, and all that good stuff!!

Just a quick look, but it seems that in Oregon you can sell your own dried stuff,

http://www.oregon.gov/ODA/FSD/pages/faq_2336.aspx

as well as California -

http://www.theselc.org/faq/

So I dunno why not.

o

Contacting a state farmers' marketing association should give you the answer but much of it will depend on your local health district.

Health districts have enormous power to set and enforce rules, laws and all that good stuff. It began in the time of epidemics in the US.

Generally, farmers have no licenses and if they are selling their own produce, great freedom. Drying a product is minimally processed. It may or may not fall into a different category. You could imagine that if you were selling it brewed and by the glass, it would.

Steve

o

In Montana you can not sell dried food unless processed in a commercial kitchen. So you can sell produce and fruit if it has not been altered which drying and cooking or combining is considered altered and must be processed in a licensed commercial kitchen. Check with your local sanitarian for rules in your area. My nephew in North Dakota could sell pickled beets which I could not.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here