Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
skybirdforever

it's raining!

Hallelujah! Earlier today NOAA and all the local weathermen were saying it was gonna rain---and I was going: Yeah! Sure! The humidity was in single digits all day, and I simply didn't believe it was gonna happen! Nothing torrential, but it's a steady, medium sorta rain right now. Sounds so cool that I went out on the deck and just stood and listened to it for a few minutes! Can't even remember the last time it sounded so wonderful outside! This means that planting the rest of my veggie garden is going to be delayed some more---but I don't even care! Rain, glorious rain! God's wonderful negatively ionized water! The grass is SO going to love it!

I still don't believe this, but the one station was saying we could get close to 4" in the next 48 hours! Like I said, don't believe that, but I can dream---for now at least!

Lovin' it--while it lasts,

Skybird.

Comments (30)

• greenbean08_gw
    12 years ago

Montana (not to far from Billings at least) was getting a lot of rain this week (there was talk of inches of rain since Sunday) so I think there might be hope for us (though I didn't really watch exactly where this weather is coming from).

All we have here so far is wind, but hopefully we'll get some decent moisture tomorrow. I don't even really mind if it comes as snow, as long as it comes.

• polygonum_tinctorium
    12 years ago

It's snow up here on the divide...

But I agree that any kind of precipitation is useful.

• colokid
    12 years ago

HALLELUJAH...
    Maybe a tenth here, but it is wet. Snow level to drop to 6000 feet. I bet it does better than that. Let it rain. It 41 outside and 46in my little green house- the heater just kicked in. I love that thing.
    Now in La Salle..Kersey in the rear view window.
    KennyP

• cnetter
    12 years ago

It's snowing here.

I'm glad I brought the tomatoes and other tender things in off the back porch.

• Dan _Staley (5b Sunset 2B AHS 7)
    12 years ago

Little bit of snow here, waiting for more rain this afternoon, we need it, maybe it will make up for the single-digit humidities and gusts to 40 for the past few days.

Dan

• tommysmommy
    12 years ago

Rain/snow mix when I woke up, had taken in tender veg's due to wind already. I'm thinking this should prompt the wild asparagus to start sending up spears, hunting has been almost fruitless. And, I don't have to water my garden seeds.

• catnohat
    12 years ago

It's raining here in Brighton because my sunroof is stuck open on my crappy car. We've had rain several times over the last 2 weeks, so we are doing pretty good. My grass is green and I've mowed twice already. I was hoping for 2 days of sun because I'm off work today and tomorrow and have lots of gardening to do. I have big plans to convince my sunroof to close also! I do love the rain though. Just not in my car.
    Wish me luck!
    Cat

• billie_ladybug
    12 years ago

Cat - it is a good way to clean the inside of the car though.

I am soooo jealous!!! I have gotten no moisture out of this, just lots of wind and destruction, again! more shingles off the barn, weed barrier ripped up and actually wrapped around the lawn tractor, but no rain :(

Billie

• oakiris
    12 years ago

Sorry about your car, Cat; not a good day for things that leak! And sorry about your days off - I think it is going to keep raining today and they are predicting more rain for tomorrow, as well.

My days off are Monday and Tuesday and both days were gorgeous this week so I thoroughly enjoyed them, though the amount of work I have to do in my garden remains overwhelming - my "to do" list just keeps growing.

This rain is very welcome (no snow here as yet, and I hope it stays that way) even though it prevents working in the garden and delays the outside projects that I know we all have. And it made for great sleeping last night, as well!

Holly

• gjcore
    12 years ago

Wind, rain, snow and some hail here in south Aurora. I forgot to bring the geraniums in last night but they look okay.

• cnetter
    12 years ago

According to the pig oracle, we've got 1.5 inches so far at our house, which is roughly 3 miles due south of Rocky Flats.

Good day for baking and making stew.

• pumpkin2010
    12 years ago

It's been coming down off and on all day around Loveland/Ft Collins. My rain barrel is overflowing, the lilies are looking smashed, and a formerly perky clematis has folded into a pile of soggy leaves.

But I'm not complaining :) Once it warms up again on Friday, they'll all be in hog heaven, and the grass will be greener to boot! Now to figure out how to turn the sprinkler system off tomorrow morning...

12 years ago

So far the MesoWest stations around here are measuring about .9" of liquid water equivalent precip.

Shouldn't have to worry about irrigating the yard or veggies for a while, may have to warm the soil back up for the beans and melons...

Dan

• Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I've had about 8/10ths of an inch so far, and the best news is that it's been very slow and not a drop of it has run off--it's all happily soaking in right where it's landing! It's even wet under my couple trees this time! And the fence is "resaturating" and the huge cracks between the boards is slowly decreasing! It may be a gray, dreary day--but I'm lovin' it! Everything is so green and perky! I'd swear my grass grew two inches overnite! All the swap plants are out in it, and they're loving the "real" water too! I had the tomatoes/eggplants/basil inside overnite, just because I didn't know for sure what was gonna happen or how cold it was gonna get, but when I got up today there was a very slow, very mild rain, and I took them out onto the grass for a couple hours to get rained on! They're loving it too! They're all safely back inside again now for the cold overnite. And I have a small bucket under one of the downspouts just to "break" the (not much) flow of water where it runs into a small perennial bed, and I've been going out and dumping it into several huge buckets I have to save it for watering my houseplants, and the swap/veggie plants outside once this all dries off. Rainwater is so much better that it's worth the effort--even with my newly established kinda feeble collection system!

It rained very gently here all morning and into the early afternoon--almost a mist at times, got heavier a couple times with a little bit of very small hail (that had me worried briefly!), and then it stopped completely for an hour or so, and now it's picking back up again and is heavier--moderate, I guess you could call it. They're still predicting it's gonna keep going thru tonite and maybe thru most of tomorrow---and I'm hopin'! Gonna need to cut my grass again as soon as it dries out enough to do it.

HALLELUJAH,
    Skybird

• singcharlene
    12 years ago

Snowing in Castle Rock! I just bought a bunch of geraniums and other annuals for pots and thankfully they are sitting in my garage waiting for the snow to go away!

• mstywoods
    12 years ago

Yah, it's been raining in Westminster and Broomfield since last night! Couldn't believe it's been going on all day, and still is (lightly). 'course you know why? First, because I watered my lawn yesterday evening; and second, because we had visitors at work from California this week (everytime someone from Calif. comes out, we always seem to some kind of unusual weather!) ;^)

All the plants are loving it!!!

• greenbean08_gw
    12 years ago

Not much here so far. A little snow, a few drops here and there, but that's about it (other than the cold and wind). I still have some hope though, it looks like there are some grey clouds coming in from the north.

12 years ago

Wonderful. I put out one more WOW for a potted tomatillo. I'm so happy that the potatoes won't need water for many days, and I've got lots of trees that I won't have to pay to water. Wonderful. It won't get us out of the 'severe' category for drought, tho.

Dan

• digit
    12 years ago

Everything that can take a frost is in the garden! Even the asters, that will shrug off only very light frosts, went out yesterday. Watered everything in well then . . . rain began to fall.

Another sunny day is prescribed but a warm and rainy weekend is in the forecast. There may be 3 days above 70F this week - the first we've seen of this temperature up here in 2011!

With the rain, cool temps up until now, and heavily snow-loaded hills -- can we say "floods" . . ?

What happens after the rain stops is a guess but, maybe, warm-season plants can go out next week! I don't remember digging tomato planting holes with a posthole digger before but, if there ever was a time, it will be this spring!

Steve

• singcharlene
    12 years ago

We're up to about five inches of SNOW this morning in Castle Rock!

• billie_ladybug
    12 years ago

I'm still jealous!! I got rain, but not even enough to make the indicator in my rain gauge float :(

Still hoping!

12 years ago

CoCoRaHS generally 1.7-2.1" of liquid equivalent hereabouts. YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dan

• kareng_grow
    12 years ago

Dan....VERY cute....hard to follow up with anything after your adorable happy dancing Snoopy: ) Doing the happy hamster dance up in Black Forest though! Got over 2 inches of snow last night and most of it has already melted (almost noon)...just slowly enough to sink in. All my pepper plants are nice and warm in the greenhouse and the tomatoes are doing fine with the WOWs around them... Glad I haven't planted more flowers yet. The ones I have planted can take it. Next week I'll do more flower planting as well as herbs and rhubarb (hope I didn't just jinx us with that comment...shhhhhh!).

• oakiris
    12 years ago

It's still raining here - over 36 hours of continuous rain, as a guesstimate. I think we are getting over two months worth of precipitation in a two day period. I do hope it quits before all of my earthworms have drowned!

Holly

12 years ago

I was a little peeved that one of my papers didn't get accepted for a conference in Seattle in August, so maybe I wished too hard to be there and we got Seattle-like weather. ;o) Not that anyone's complaining (save maybe the folks with winter wheat). Surely many rain dances were answered these past couple days. We're winding down, but just up the road we have 35 straight hours of observations with precipitation!

May Miracle.

Dan

• Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado
    Original Author
    12 years ago

It rained here (Thornton) in varying degrees for a full 36 hours! Don't even remember the last time I've seen that out here---if ever! Now, in Illinois it can go on for a WEEK, and nobody thinks anything unusual has happened! Out here anything that lasts more than two hours is worthy of a celebratory thread!

CELEBRATE - CELEBRATE - CELEBRATE

I got a total of 1.8 inches! EVERYTHING is SOGGY! LOVE IT! Don't remember when ALL my perennials and ALL my grass was looking this good all at the same time! No matter what you do with a sprinkler, it just isn't possible to get all areas and all corners of the lawn watered adequately! Always parts that are looking a little bit peaked! Just took a very slow, and very COLD walk around the yard to inspect everything and celebrate with the plants! A slow, even, deep watering of EVERYTHING!

Does anybody know how we might go about ordering one of these for every month or so?????????

I don't have any idea when I'll be able to get back out to the veggie garden to finish turning it over and planting it, but I don't really care right now! It'll get done---whenever! The peas and lettuce and spinach--still very small--are looking quite happy!

Sorry you got left out of this one, Billie! I checked radar a couple times, and it was showing rain right in COS, down in Pueblo, and along I70 all the way out to Limon---and you got missed! Bummer! Sounds like the Precipitationless Zone Monster got you this time instead of me! Hopefully you'll get in on the "next one!" (Wanna drive up and pick up a couple of my buckets full of rainwater? ;-) )

Dan, wanna come present your paper at the swap?!! WE'LL take you! ;-) If it was your wishin' that caused this rain---thank you!

Skybird

• catnohat
    12 years ago

Whoo-Hoo The sun is out and everything lived! Thrived even! Thanx to my neighbor who gave me a trash bag big enough for a body, so even my car with the sun roof stuck open survived!!!

Happy days...even though I have to work tonight....

• billie_ladybug
    12 years ago

Seems to be the story of my life, in the lee, or is it lea, aw whatever. Anyway, yeah I am nowhere near I70, I25 Limon, bummer. If you want to know, for those that don't, google Truckton Colorado. That is basically where I am. And yes I'll take a few buckets of rain water. When I got up today, everything was wet, I think with dew cuz there was nothing in the rain gauge, again.

Cat, really glad that you kept the car dry. Trash bag for a body, what does your neighbor do? Or should we not ask?

I'm up for listening to Dan's paper, sounds like a plan to me.

Hope I find you guys next Sunday, see you then.

Billie

• aloha2009
    12 years ago

Is this really Colorado?!

• oakiris
    12 years ago

Is this really Colorado?!

I think so...seems more like New England, though (or PNW perhaps) It is raining again today!

Holly