Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wildturnip

stupid asparagus mistake

wildturnip
13 years ago

Two years ago, i planted year-old asparagus in a 6x4 bed dug esp. for them. Somehow completely misunderstood instructions and planted crowns too deep (a foot!). I also left a foot above, because i thought (confused them with leeks? potatoes? was delusional?) you were supposed to fill it in with compost and soil as the plants grew. The rest of my garden is raised beds; the asparagus is a sunken bed (it can't be very well drained)--looks weird. Some misshapen thick stalks and nothing up from some plants. I think i have to dig them all up and raise the bed and replant them properly, but the ones with stalks are out of dormancy (though still cold spring this year). Can i at least dig out and replant the ones that don't show signs of life yet?

open to all ideas for fix. Thanks.

Comments (6)

• Dan _Staley (5b Sunset 2B AHS 7)
    13 years ago

Can i at least dig out and replant the ones that don't show signs of life yet?

You're going to start ripping live roots of the ones that are popping. If this were mine, my best guess would be to wait until fall and dig and overwinter and re-do in spring. Lower chance of success would be to do after temps break in Aug-Sept, then still lower do now.

Can't say I'd wager much on this, as I've never heard of this problem, but just thinking out loud with my horticulturist hat on...maybe a group think from someone else can get us closer...

Dan

• Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado
    13 years ago

Disclaimer! I've never grown asparagus! Love to eat it, but have never grown it!

Having said that, I was curious so I googled "transplant asparagus" and found this. It recommends doing it when they're dormant--which means you'd need to wait till next spring, but I agree with Dan, whenever you do it, do them all at the same time, rather than trying to dig some out from between the others. Misshapen or not, if it were me I think I'd harvest whatever I could to eat now and plan to try the transplanting late next winter or very early in spring. And over summer ----- enjoy your little Valley Garden!

Welcome to RMG,
    Skybird

Here is a link that might be useful: Transplanting established asparagus

• elkwc
    13 years ago

I agree with Dan and Skybird. The only ones I move in the summer is ones that germinates from seed where the wind and birds scatter them. They will be a single stem and birds and the wind have scattered them. Established plants you need to do when they are dormant. At least that is what I've been told and have always did. Once they break dormancy and you have new stalks coming up I wouldn't attempt to move them. With that being said I do know some who have dug up wild asparagus and moved it. But again I wouldn't recommend it. You could either do it in the fall after they die back or in the spring before they break dormancy. Jay

• laura_42
    13 years ago

Don't feel too bad, wildturnip -- I think I might've done the exact same thing...

• wildturnip
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, thanks, thanks (and esp. Laura 42 for the kind company). Guess i knew, but couldn't believe i did what i did. Skybird: now you know what NOT to do. Had a bed once that i inherited--it's a great thing to grow once it's established.

Will wait till fall dormancy, which won't be so hard, as lots to do now--radish thinning, beet planting, watering, etc., then very soon tomato planting (if it ever warms up!), and all the rest of summer stuff. But right now still savoring every tiny thing that breaks ground.

Happy gardening (and eating)!

• gjcore
    13 years ago

The way that information is presented about growing asparagus that I'm not surprised that "stupid" mistakes are done. (There are no stupid mistakes but rather learning experiences). All this digging and burying and trenching. It really ought to be a lot simpler.

I planted my asparagus with the crowns sort of even but slightly above soil line. Over time they're going to get compost and a variety of mulches. For better or worse this year I'm growing bush beans done the middle of the asparagus row again.

Okay enough of my story.

If that were my asparagus patch I would start over with new crowns. Possibly replant some of the others that were planted too deep.