Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mstywoods

bunnies are at it, again ....

mstywoods
9 years ago

I know there have been many threads posted about the "adorable" wild bunnies, but I'm starting a new one. Just discovered that they love poppy leaves :(

I had transplanted one of mine into a new flower bed last fall, and it was coming up nicely. Then the bunnies ate it to the ground. But I noticed that I had more of the poppies coming up at their original location, and they were getting to be a nice size. There were about five plants coming up in a clump. So I decided to dig up four of them and transplant over to the bed where my other one was. Now forgot to mention that I had previously (after the bunnies had eaten down my poppy) sprinkled red pepper flakes and hot sauce around the perimeter of the bed, hoping that would deter the little darlings from going into it. Well, that didn't stop them one bit - the poppies I just transplanted last evening are eaten down almost to the ground this morning!!

Guess I'll dig them up and put them into a pot large enough that the bunnies can't hop into it, and hope they come back. Still curious why they leave them alone in the other location, and not here! I moved them from the first spot because it's in a far corner of the yard and wanted them to be more predominant.

So, again, any successful remedies any of you have with deterring bunnies?!! I did just sprinkle blood meal around the poppies, and my strawberries that I've seen some damage, until I can dig up the poppies. I made sure to not put the blood meal too close the the edge of the bed, which I put up a wire fence around, as last year I discovered the meal attracted our dog who I was also trying to keep out of it!!

A gardener's work is never done ....

Marj

Comments (5)