Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
luckybottom

Weeds can be fun

luckybottom
9 years ago

At the swap, Mayberry has a weed that was never id'ed. Here is a fun tool that might help if you have one that you are not sure of.

I could not find Mayberry's, just too many were guesses. Maybe she can discover what it is?

Here is a link that might be useful: Weed ID

Comments (7)

• mstywoods
    9 years ago

luckybottom - I just came in from weeding and saw your subject line and thought 'is she nuts?!!' LOL

Thanks for posting that link - might give it a try.

• Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado
    9 years ago

I tried multiple times yesterday to post a reply here and while I could "preview" it, every time I tried to actually post it I got a "no forum specified" error message, which I had never seen before! Tried signing out and back in and a bunch of other things, but nothing worked! The reply has a couple clickable links in it, which I've never had a problem with in the past, but now I'm wondering if somehow that's causing the problem, so I'm gonna try just this, without the links, to see if I can post at all on this thread! I can post on other threads, so I don't understand what's going on here!

THIS IS A TEST!

• Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado
    9 years ago

Well, that worked! Can we not post hot links anymore??? I'll come back later and see if I can figure out how to post my "real" reply!

• digit
    9 years ago

Let's see:

02/29/08 Edible Weeds article. Leap Day Proposal.

http://ext100.wsu.edu/skagit/mg/archive

Steve
    i think this works. scroll down to that date. short pdf article.

• digit
    9 years ago

Wanna talk about weeds for the table?

I have had my bite or two of dandelion greens. They are so bitter that they might almost be a spring tonic. I'm trying to gear up my interest in making "coffee" from their roots, again.

The red-root pigweed is growing! I'm looking forward to it making harvest size.

I 've not had lambsquarters in years! Purple orache is so similar, volunteers and grows like a weed in my garden, that I just don't get around to the lambsquarters.

I keep looking at the salsify. Anyone ever harvested the roots? When would you do that?

The wild chicory will bloom here soon. I'd like to learn if it would make as good an addition to coffee as what we can buy but I can't identify it until it blooms.

Steve

• luckybottom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

You are so right about the lambsquarter. We have it like you would spinach, raw or cooked or steamed. A friend in Montana got us started on that one. Takes a while to harvest though. We get a lot of cress in our creek, that is tasty.

I know people that use dandelion root for coffee and have heard of chicory but as long as I can still afford it, its the real thing for me.

• digit
    9 years ago

Luckybottom, I use a blend of decaf & caf beans, each morning. I don't like any of the decaf I've tried but . . . what are you gonna do? Supposed to be better for my stomach so I'm "good" and use a 2 to 1 blend.

When I tried the dandelion roots (couple of times), I think I was still on the 100% good stuff. Now - I might like it as well or better than what I've got. Dandelion doesn't have caffeine.

I grew watercress in the garden once. The neighbor had a leaky 4" water line. It made a good size puddle, pretty much all the time. I asked if I could put in a piece of plastic pipe and direct the water over into my garden. I dug a little 4' by 6' pond and planted water cress.

It worked great! However, I think I embarrassed the neighbor. He replaced the big leaking valve the next year and there went my 24/7 water supply.

Steve