Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mstywoods

Spring Swap - food and other stuff?

mstywoods
9 years ago

Don't think there's a thread for the other things needed for the swap, so starting one.

Mayberrygardener: What do we bring food wise for the swap? Any other supplies - napkins, plates, etc.? Are more chairs needed?

Since the topic of pizza did come up in one of the other threads, I was thinking on picking up a Pappa Murphy's pizza for my food offering. I could either bake it before I come, or would it be ok to cook it in your oven when I get there Mayberry, so it's nice and hot for the lunch? Either way is fine with me!

Marj

Comments (17)

• garnergarden
    9 years ago

I was thinking of bringing my hot cream cheese/meat dip. It sounds a little weird but is similar to the typical rotel style cheese dip, but more subtle and creamy aka DELICIOUS! I'd also bring some chips along with it, but not sure if I should bring a more meal like dish instead. Any thoughts??

Pizza is always welcome in my book lol, so sounds good to me, mstywoods. :)

• katgardener
    9 years ago

I am planning on a Mediterranean dip that ships well and works beautifully with tortilla chips. :)

• catnohat
    9 years ago

I will bring brownies!

• mayberrygardener
    9 years ago

Thanks for starting this thread, Misty!

Yes, if someone has paper plates, plasticware, and cups, that would be great--I've got some, but I'm not quite sure where it got put when everything got unpacked after the move, and so I can't tell if it's going to be enough (or if I can FIND it)!

I think pizza is great, and if you'd like to bake it here, that's fine by me; you might want to get here a bit earlier so we can get it going. I do like it when we have a wide variety of stuff, too! I'm planning on making something sort of main-dishy--I don't pretend to be half the cook that Bonnie is, but probably a meat-based something over seasoned brown rice? And tea, of course; I always make a variety of teas including herbal teas. Veggies trays and dips, chips and salsa or guacamole, interesting salads... I always love the variety that everyone brings!

I will snag some of the myriad of serving spoons and tongs from work if I remember this week, so we should be good there, and we'll be doing the buffet in the kitchen, so crock pots are welcome.

Yes, everyone please bring chairs--we have some, but we'll surely need more!

Also, bring SUNSCREEN!!! We have a little shade in our yard, but I don't suspect many of us will be able to squeeze into it, and I got a pretty sweet sunburn this afternoon as I was dragging pots everywhere. Maybe if you want to bring an umbrella ("parasol!") to hold while we're doing the descriptions, you won't be alone! Of course, if we're all prepared for sun, we'll have rain; so let's prepare for both *wink*

• lkcrawford
    9 years ago

I'll bring something vegetarian - maybe some spring rolls and/or guacamole and chips type deal.

• iluvamaranth2014
    9 years ago

Hello,
    I will bring a vegetarian orzo (pasta) salad.

• luckybottom
    9 years ago

We have decided on a hamburger with pasta dish we call goulash. I will make it Sat. morning and bring warm in a crock pot.

Just finished a batch of rhubarb/strawberry jam. Will bring some of that with whole wheat saltine rounds for after swapping snack.

Small table and folding chairs will be in the trunk along with a package of paper plates. bonnie & terry

• david52 Zone 6
    9 years ago

Well, some of us are just going to sit here on the western slope or maybe Idaho or Washington and Montana Utah those too far away places and eat ice cream by the quart. With little dimples in the top from our falling tears.

/sniff
    //but you have fun

• kvenkat
    9 years ago

I will bring something to drink and cups. Probably lemonade and/or iced tea.

• garnergarden
    9 years ago

Awww, sorry david52z.... :( . We may not make it if it's rains too much, because our windshield wiper on the driver's side has a broken part. It's not working, so it makes driving in any sort of weather difficult unless it's clear skies. We are going to try to find the part at a junkyard before the swap, because we really want to make it. With all this rain we have been getting, it may not happen if we can't get it fixed to 100% in time.

May be cryin into our ice cream like poor David :(

• mstywoods
    Original Author
    9 years ago

GarnerGarden - I once saw a video of someone whose wipers broke during a rain storm. They hooked strings to both wipers and from the inside of the car, pulled on the strings to make them work. This isn't the same one I saw, but here is a youtube video of the same thing:
    http://youtu.be/WevQlQ4wcPc Hilarious, but it works!!

Hope it doesn't come to that, but use the idea if you need to get to the swap ;) Crazy couple of days here with these storms!

• ZachS. z5 Platteville, Colorado
    9 years ago

I was drove from Goodland to Salina in a literal monsoon without any wipers and as soon as I pulled into the parking lot they started working again. Talk about sloooooooooow driving, I couldn't see anything. Lucky for me I-70 through Kansas is a straight line without any traffic haha. In other words: If I can do it, so can you Garner!

So, no one has mentioned who is bringing the beer yet so, if I can come, I guess I will. Money's a little tight though, so I hope yall like Keystone... guess that means someone better bring the aspirin.

Just kidding, we all have to drive... (but between us there will be a six pack in my toolbox shhhh)

• mayberrygardener
    9 years ago

We'd better make arrangements for coffee so Zach can have a cup to make it home *wink*

Problem is, I only have a coffee press--does anyone have a good-sized coffee pot and appropriate filters that you can bring? I will also have to check my supply of coffee... If it's going to be rainy, hot beverages will perk us up like the sunshine will if (when?) we finally get through this round of storms!

Garner, I DARE you to hook up kite strings on your wipers! I can't wait to see it!

• luckybottom
    9 years ago

We love coffee and just happen to have a party size that we can bring.

• polygonum_tinctorium
    9 years ago

At this point, it looks like we're bringing Butter Mochi, using provogirl's recipe from a few years ago.

• garnergarden
    9 years ago

LMAO!! I love it! We tried rigging something between the wipers to make then push and pull each other, a strong wire.... Didn't work. But hey, I'm willing to try out this string idea lol, at least until I get he part I need!

Can you guys just picture it? Me and my husband pulling up arms working hard to work those wipers lmao. So great!! We are going to look into it honestly, because we want to make this meet. Oh, what time is the meet? AKA how early do we have to roll out of bed to make it? lol Night owls :) but we can set an alarm. Hope to see you all!

• ZachS. z5 Platteville, Colorado
    9 years ago

Coffee? Psh, I don't need no stinkin coffee! (mostly because I gave up drinking and driving, too much risk)