Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bekajoi

Newspaper Pot making help!

bekajoi
13 years ago

For those that were asking how to make the pots! The link below shows how to roll your own pots with newspaper. Only thing I do differently is to tear one sheet in half so it's a bit thinner. I've heard some weaker plants have trouble with roots breaking through and thought it would be a good solution to that issue. They held up pretty well for me!

Anyway, they're awesome because you can plant them straight in with your seedling, they'll compost into the ground over the year, and as a bonus you're not tossing or asking a recycling company to take care of your extra newspaper for you.

I had friends with extra papers and snagged them for what I needed! Color is OK these days as long as it's not glossy paper. Glossy will have something in it that can be bad for the soil/plants, or won't break down, I forget why, but no glossy! Color and black & white inks are both made with soy these days, but if you want to double check with your newspaper people before you make them with color, go for it! Most switched because it was cheaper and looked just as good. I know my papers have a ton of color pics in them. If I wanted b&w only, I'd have to go to the want ad area and that would be it.

Anyway! Link! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VW4t_6dTAvA

I think I'll probably make my own video showing how I do it to add to my own youtube page. Maybe I'll even remember to do that today! ;)

Here is a link that might be useful: Newspaper pot video

Comments (3)