Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Denver Urban Gardens and Their Work

Posted by dan_staley 5b/S 2b AHS 6-7 (My Page) on
Fri, May 21, 10 at 10:15

So last night we were at the 25th anniversary party for Denver Urban Gardens. Tom Vilsack sent a video, lots of speakers, Colo First Lady attended, Hickenlooper (Denver Mayor) wrapped up the speakers. Wonderful venue, lots of kind, motivated people, great food. Great night.

What was key for many was a short film wrapping up a 6-year research project on human health and gardens, and how everyone in the vid talked about how much better they felt when gardening. The research - first papers out soon - quantified these health and wellness benefits.

I wanted to get up on that stage and share my observation that, on RMG, there are much more exclamation points and smiley emoticons when people describe gardening, community gardens, sharing their bounty, swapping plants. I didn't gat a chance to share but I didn't need to, as that was obvious to all in the room.

Dan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Denver Urban Gardens and Their Work

The funny thing is that gardening is not just exercise, beautification and food growth, it is pleasing. I'm curious as to what those research papers will say!

I like working in my garden, I even like staring out the window at it. Each time I leave the house or come back to it, I find myself smiling while staring at my plants.

Isn't a smile supposed to release serotonin? Our dog handlers, who really helped with one of our more "rescued" dogs, told us that. It helps when we smile at our dog, it makes him smile more! I even smile at just the idea of going out to pop weeds!!

Thanks for sharing this.

J

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here