Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bob_in_colorado

Holy Girdled Pear Trees Batman!

bob_in_colorado
12 years ago

So, the beginning of April, I was out checking the status or my tulips, rafts and crocuses and I discovered the bunnies had gotten to 2 of my pear trees! The little frickers!!! They chewed the bark off all the way around the trunk for about 10" starting at the ground. The trees hadn't leafed out, there wasn't even bud swell yet. Immediately off to the local box store to get some tree trunk wrap. I wrapped the trees and sprayed the area with rabbit repellant.

As I could see the white of the wood, I feared the worst for my little buddies. One is an Asian pear tree, and the other is a Seckel (sugar pear).

Well, here's the thing. Since then, they've leafed out, are currently in bloom, and are even growing new foliage. I was thinking about doing some strip bark grafting, but that would mean removing the protection. It may also have been to long as the bark has now callouses over and hardened I'm sure.

I called a local nursery. She is very surprised they even leafed out. She said leave it alone. Let the tree do it's thing, etc. One thing I think I'm going to do is once my other pear trees are good and cross pollinated, I may remove any fruit that does form on the damaged trees.

Anyone with experience on this?

Comments (4)