Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
digit_gw

the dandelion & last frost

digit
12 years ago

Since a cold spring has weighed so heavily on gardeners here, I have tried to pay special attention to what the plants have been doing, when.

April set a record for having the coldest average temperature ever. I'm not sure how May is shaping up. It was 35F on May 27th, in my garden. Albeit not record-setting, the last frosts were on the mornings of May 16th & 17th.

In fact, we have kind of slipped into the growing season here. On our only day with a high above 75F, winds were gusting above 40mph! Well, I guess we were not slipping anywhere that day - maybe slightly into Montana . . .

Full-bloom of the common lilacs came and once again, no frost-damage occurred. But the timing was close, very close.

Another very successful plant, the dandelion has now bloomed-its-fool-head-off ! We all know the dandelion and have seen how its flowers respond to darkness by closing. It is sensitive enough that daylight will not prompt the bloom to reopen, the dandelion requires sunshine.

Relying on my memories, I do not seem to have any problem recalling the image of frost on dandelion plants, even those with flower buds. However, the development of the stem and seed-head comes a few days after blooming - a few at first, then many more of the stems shoot up another several inches, and the seeds begin to mature.

The stem thins during its final growth. It may have happened on the 16th and 17th this year - a few of these stems had elongated and were frosted but that did not happen in my yard. Correct me if I am wrong but I believe that when this happens -- the stem is damaged to the extent that it folds over and the seed-head drops back onto the ground.

The dandelions held onto their seeds about 4 days before they were released this year. I believe that these 4 days were necessary for the seed to fully mature. The seed would not be viable if that process had been interrupted by the stem freezing.

There it is! When dandelions begin to mature seed, the danger of frost has passed.

Of course, the dandelion does not have a hot line to heaven. Still, given the success of this little creature - I am convinced that it is responding appropriately to past events with great sensitivity. All this, despite the dandelion's reputation for vanity and trivial behavior.

Steve

now if you have read all this, to my way of thinking, you deserve a treat. this youtube video has nothing to do with dandelions and frost but it does have to do with treats! GW doesn't seem to like youtube these days so you will have to select, copy and paste:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGeKSiCQkPw

Comments (12)

• david52 Zone 6
    12 years ago

"When dandelions begin to mature seed, the danger of frost has passed

Not around here! They've been blooming, and continuing to bloom, for the last month, although the peak has passed. I still have plenty. They take a hard freeze pretty well - I never noticed any frost damage to the flowers/stems/closed flowers before the seed stage. Maybe the tips of the leaves get a bit scorched if its sub-freezing and windy. We have another freeze coming Monday night.

I thought the blooming cycle had more to do with temperature - they seem to quit here once the daytime temps are in the high 70's. And we have another, smaller flush in the fall when things cool down again.

I have another question re dandelions. I can follow the bloom up into the higher mountain meadows, with the peak bloom time well into July. Is there an upper elevation limit? I'm trying to think if I've seen them blooming in the really high tundra.

• digit
    Original Author
    12 years ago

After a month of blooming, they must have set some seed, David.

The very first seed-heads that I saw (just 6 or 8) were on May 19th so you see, that is just a few days after the last frost we had. Now, they've been blowing seed all over creation for about a week. They are really past peak bloom (except where they were mowed and are rallying to the flag, yet). We came close to a frost on the 27th but not quite.

What elevation? Wow, I really don't know. It must vary with latitude.

The lowest elevation in Colorado is on the Arikaree River at 3,317 feet, Wikipedia says. That elevation is over 1,000 feet higher than my dandelions, and gardens!

As far as how high the dandelion goes . . . I'm confident that it grows with the spruce but cannot remember seeing it with the subalpine firs. But, I don't get up very high, very often . . .

Steve

• Dan _Staley (5b Sunset 2B AHS 7)
    12 years ago

We had dandy seed set in a SW-facing aspect lawn at daughter's school mid-April. We used it for a board meeting in mid-April when discussing the efficacy of a buffalograss lawn we installed.

Dan

• digit
    Original Author
    12 years ago

So, you are thinking that I will have to go back to the full-on blooming of the common lilac or the leafing out of the black locust as an indicator of last frost?

The only other one I use here in the yard is the blooming of the wood hyacinths. It always seem that those open up when we are finally due to have warm weather. However, my wood hyacinths are in the shade of varying amounts wherever they are growing here. Some plants still have not quite bloomed.

What about the German iris . . . ?

Steve

• david52 Zone 6
    12 years ago

Here, I'd go with the leafing out of my white oak tree, or maybe the Rose of Sharon. They're just now starting to break the buds.

In reality, I check the tea leaves, and look for when the last full moon is around the month change from may to june. This year, my tomatoes were so over-grown that there really wasn't much choice - they had to go out. Still have the peppers in pots, they'll wait another week or so.

This evening, official freeze warning, and its a big effort to cover everything in the evening when the wind dies down, and drag all the hanging petunia pots and containers of geranium back indoors.

• digit
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I put out the 60+ tomato plants yesterday afternoon. Right now, there's 1 mile visibility, 42F and 8mph wind blowing the fog . . ! Feels like the Pacific is just on the other side of the fence!

The tomatoes went in "ditches" - or, I could say, "trenches" . This will be another lay them on their sides year. I don't really like to do that because they don't seem to want to straighten up later / / / / f / f / S \

Melons, peppers and eggplants are still hiding out under cover. David, will you have eggplants in containers this year?

Steve

12 years ago

I think the phenology depends upon place, there is no universal indicator. The white oak indicator doesn't work here either. But what works here might not work there.

Dan

• david52 Zone 6
    12 years ago

I'll do just 6 containers of eggplant - I have some saved-seed variety, I don't recall the name, that gets to be, maximum, the size of a baseball, but I pick it smaller. I'll get 6 - 8 fruit from a plant, vs 1 or 2 planted in the ground.

This year, its the big peppers-in-containers experiment, and the rest of the container fleet is devoted to that. And a tentative, toe-in-the-water huge pot experiment with okra.

Here, local folk lore has it that its safe to plant when the snow is off the Sleeping Ute mountain and the north side of Mesa Verde. Tthey got a fresh coat of snow last week.

• highalttransplant
    12 years ago

Well, we are under a freeze warning tonight. A low of 31 predicted. After 5 days (and nights) straight of 25 - 45 mph winds, the plants and I are getting a bit weary.

Came home from Grand Junction this evening, saw the forecast, and ran out in the dark to put a row cover on the stuff in the ground, and bring all the containers into the garage.

Checked NOAA's climatic normals chart, and found that there is a 90% chance of a temp of 36 degrees by May 24th for the town closest to us. So that means the odds of a frost tonight are less than 10% ...

Here is a link that might be useful: Climate normals for Colorado

• david52 Zone 6
    12 years ago

We're at 28F this morning. That wind over the last few days has been brutal - thankfully the dust hasn't been that bad because of the recent moisture. But still enough to cut visibility down to

• digit
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I focus on the 32F, Bonnie, but it becomes the "town closest," or to the hill above the town, to the neighborhood, to out front/under the tree . . . The frost will form on the roof of the vehicle in the driveway but there will be none on the lawn on the other side of the fence - with the same blue sky above.

We can say that the dandelion, or any plant, is simply responding to what has been happening in its immediate environment. Of course, that is not a 100% indication of what "will happen" in its environment. But, what can be valued in the phenological signs are the immediateness in space and time of plant responses.

About 30 days ago, something happened which set another something in motion for the plant. Given certain conditions, another so many days will pass and something else will occur.

I suspect that some of these environmental prompts are no more than a few weeks in the past. The plant's internal processes are set on a course that show results in a fairly short time.

The Weather Service's measurements cover a century, or so. Averaging indicates frost, or near frost, or hard frost. This year's data hasn't yet been recorded. One of the criticisms of the WS is that, often, even this decade's data hasn't been factored in.

Nevertheless, we are coming down to the greatest influence on spring warmth of all: the sun and the angle of the sunlight on our environment. The calendar is our indicator of that but I cannot ignore, the dandelion.

Steve
    linked below are observations made over the previous decade by a community group in Minnesota. it is truly confined to place. i assume that the "first dandelion" is a recording of the first dandelion bloom, not the appearance of seed.

Here is a link that might be useful: Signs of Spring: Maplewood, Minnesota

12 years ago

Climate is generally analyzed at a 30 year time period. One years' worth of information is only going to affect the data and statistics a bit. An outlier only makes a fatter tail, not anything under the main part of the curve. That said, I think our tails are getting fatter, especially when you look at the last few years. ;o)

Dan