Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flower_garden_gw

Please help me pick an ornamental grass

flower_garden
11 years ago

I have a 3-foot strip of rock area where I want to plant a few ornamental grasses. It is a dry area; it will only be watered every two weeks or so. On one end I have several Karl Foerster grasses which look beautiful, but I want something different for this new area (they don't connect...there are shrubs between them). I think I have it narrowed down to 2 choices, but I'm having trouble deciding between them. Help!

The first choice is red switch grass (panicum virgatum 'shendandoah') and the second is northern sea oats (chasmanthium latifolium). I like the fact that the switch grass will be red, but it's also classified as a sod-forming grass and I don't want it to be invasive. The sea oats look cool with their decorative blooms, but I'm not sure if they will be different enough from the Karl Foersters. Both seem to be very drought tolerant, and though the switch grass gets taller I think either size will work. So which one is best?

By the way, I also considered miscanthus but it seems to require more water so it's out for this area (though I have some in the front yard and love them).

Hope you all have a great time this weekend at the spring plant swap! I won't be there, but I hope to see you all at the fall swap :).

Trish

Comments (7)

• flower_garden
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I forgot to mention, it's in full sun. Thanks!

• bob_in_colorado
    11 years ago

The northern sea oat grass is beautiful. One of my favs....

How about a Japanese grass? Blood Grass or maybe a hakona?

How about zebra grass? Dwarf non-invasive bamboo?

• kerrys
    11 years ago

I have Sporobolus airoides and Indian ricegrass (Oryzopsis hymenoides). Both are drought tolerant and don't spread. Check out High Country Gardens. They have a wide selection of grasses and lots of very good growing information.

I find that Karl Foerester takes more water than you are planning to provide. Also, panicums don't do well for me and take forever to green up in the spring as they are a warm season grass. You might look into the the Muhlenbergia (Muhly) grasses. They are beautiful! The bluestems are also very drought tolerant and have good fall color.

• eastautumn
    11 years ago

I have 7 'Shenandoah Red' switch grasses and love them. I planted 2 tiny clumps a few years ago (it was actually 1 clump in a small pot and I divided it because I'm cheap ;) and I love them so much I planted more this spring. One of them on the east side of my house (morning sun only) is on a drip emitter and has grown quite a bit, probably ~24" wide or so. The other is in an area facing west (afternoon sun) where I don't irrigate at all. That one isn't nearly as wide, but it does just fine on nothing but rainwater. I love their red highlights, but my favorite season for this grass is fall when they turn shades of orangey-red before going dormant. I don't have experience with the other grass you're considering, but I can highly recommend Shenandoah Red. It doesn't seem invasive at all, and unlike the Miscanthus, it doesn't die out in the center and require division to keep it vigorous. I think you'd only need to divide it if it got wider than you wanted, but if you're planning on putting it in a dry area I don't think you'd have to worry at all about it getting too wide.

• keen101
    11 years ago

My suggestion would be sand lily. If transplanted into an area with better soil and more moisture this thing WILL change to look exactly like a grass (but with flowers), and will grow tall. But in it's native habitat in the dry areas around here it grows short, and is very ornamental when flowering.

• flower_garden
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the input everyone. I ended up buying the 'Shenandoah Red' switch grass at the Botanic Gardens sale, so I am so happy to read your post, almondstriations! And after reading about some of the other interesting grasses and sand lily, I may have to find some more areas to plant with them :).

Trish

• Big_Sky_Blooms
    11 years ago

Hi Flower Garden! If you have additional areas needing grasses, do consider Blue Oat Grass (Helictotrichon). It is a cool season grass, as is C. 'Karl Foerster', so it looks nice right away in spring and has beautiful arching blooms in summer. I grow 5 kinds of Calamagrostis, several Festucas, Panicums, Miscanthus, Deschampsia, Bouteloua, Little Bluestem, and another personal favorite Molinia variegata here in Zone 4 in Montana. I hope you enjoy your new grass! Bonnie