Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shadygarden_co

What should I do with this Weigela?

shadygarden_CO
15 years ago

This the third year for this Wine and Roses Weigela. I was told on another forum to just cut it down to the ground and start over. What do you all think? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Shady garden

{{gwi:254130}}

Comments (5)

• michelle_co
    15 years ago

If it was mine and it was 3 years old - I'd either cut it to the ground or more likely SP it and replace it (HD had those last year for $5).

I am trying to decide what to do with a 2 yr. old viburnum that the deer and rabbits ate the buds off of. :-( Ought to SP it and put in a little leaf lilac or something that they don't bother so much.

Cheers,
    Michelle

• gardenbutt
    15 years ago

Weigela tends to regenerate pretty quickly if you cut it back severely.Then fertilize it well.My choice on that is superthrive and a compost tea times through the season.
    Another thing may be its not getting enough sunlight, they tend to be straggly looking if they do not get enough sunshine and extra water.You may want to move it too a place it enjoys more.
    m

• shadygarden_CO
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Gardenbutt, thanks for the advice. I went out today and pruned it pretty severely. I just couldn't bring myself to SP it when it has such lovely-looking leaves -- and quite a few of them. Is Superthrive the name of a fertilizer? I assume it is, and can you get it at most garden centers? Also, you said something about a compost tea -- several times through the season?
    I really don't have any sunnier spot to move it to. I have a small yard - about 35 x 40 feet. So we'll just have to wait and see how it does. Meantime, I will try to get some Superthrive. I do have a compost bin (tumbler type) and another Smith and Hawken one but have never made compost tea. Anyway, thanks much.
    Marlene

• david52 Zone 6
    15 years ago

I can grow weigela close in on the north side of a building. Everywhere else, its a disaster. Disclaimer, I haven't tried it close to a building on any other facings. But away from any structure, it's a mess.

• gardenbutt
    15 years ago

Marlene,
    Superthrive is a small bottle of fertilizer, which contains large amounts of trace minerals that really kick plants into growing.You only use small amounts of it.To make a compost tea, simple just take an old pillow case fill 1/3 full with compost from your pile and let that sit in five gallons of water for a few days.When I use my tea I add five more gallons of water and a teaspoon of superthrive.I use it through the season with some of my babies that need more attention.Used it in the greenhouse and vege gardens all the time as well.One thing to remember to cut back on fertilizing by early august.
    I am not good at just yanking plants either.If they are still trying I figure they deserve the oppertunity to make a go of it.Some of my best plants have came from throw aways.Course I like the odd bonsia look that some things get when not growing properly.
    mary

Sponsored
HEMAX Construction Services & Landscaping, LLC
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
Innovative & Creative Landscape Contractors Servicing VA