Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
High Altitude Grasses

Posted by coloradoscott 4 CO (My Page) on
Fri, May 27, 05 at 10:51

My wife and I just purchased 5 acres of mountain property Southwest of Fairplay Colorado at an altitude of 9400 feet. We will eventually build on it but one thing that concerns me is getting the native grass to grow back after construction. Does anyone know what type of grasses grow at that altitude?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: High Altitude Grasses

I first thought of western wheatgrass, but one source I found states that it grows at altitudes as high as 9000 ft. 9400 isn't that much higher, so it might grow there, but I'm not sure.

Thickspike wheatgrass and slender wheatgrass may do ok there. Blue Grama may do ok, although it's more of a warm season grass.

There are some links to places where you can get seed on this thread.

Have you checked with your extension service? They'd probably have a good idea of what grows in your area, and they may be able to point you in the direction of some good seed sources, as well.

o
RE: High Altitude Grasses

• Posted by Skybird z5, Denver, CO (My Page) on
    Fri, May 27, 05 at 21:59

Hi Scott,

Here's a link to High Country Gardens list of 7 grasses and wildflower mixes that can be grown above 7000'. You can get more info on each by clicking on them, or go to their search page and enter your own parameters.

I love Denver and the mountains, but, living at 9400'---brrrrr!

Skybird

Here is a link that might be useful: High Country Gardens high altitude grasses

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here