Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
azura06

What is blooming in your garden right now?

Azura
16 years ago

Hi everyone,

I am looking for early blooming perennials to compliment my tulips and possibly hide the dying foilage in a few weeks. Ive read a lot of gardening books on the subject but its hard to make decisions on what to plant when the books arent written for our climate.

Ive also been driving around to see what is blooming in my neighbor's yards but the problem is that there are not many gardeners in this area (Littleton, near Lonetree). I did get the courage to knock on a door last week when I saw a gorgeous yellow perennial with frosted foilage in an older neighborhood in Denver, nobody answered. I should have taken a photo!

So, what is blooming in your garden right now?

Comments (50)

• plantladyco
    16 years ago

Basket of Gold Alyssum
    Brunnera
    Candytuft
    Creeping Phlox
    Sweet Woodruff
    Primrose

• stevation
    16 years ago

Maybe that yellow perennial was Basket of Gold Alyssum? It's blooming in gardens all over Utah right now, although I don't have it.

What's blooming for me right now:
    - Arabis (rockcress)
    - Creeping Phlox
    - Candytuft (Iberis sempervirens)
    - Pansies (since late February, planted them in the fall and they live through winter -- great underplanting for tulips)
    - Anemone blanda (but they're so tiny!)
    - Brunnera macrophylla
    - Forget-me-nots are blooming in others' gardens, but I don't have them. They're also often used as a tulip cover.

What's almost in bloom for me now that could be cover for tulip foliage over the next month (although some may form too thick of a cover to really work in a tulip bed):
    - Saponaria ocymoides
    - Lamium maculatum (just starting to bloom -- likes shade though)
    - Dianthus (also just starting)
    - Salvia
    - California poppies (annual but good reseeder)

Good luck!

• digit
    16 years ago

For-get-me-nots are the only things blooming with our tulips and grape hyacinths right now. The wood hyacinths should be along shortly. I see arabis, candytuft, and Basket of Gold elsewhere. No creeping phlox or dianthus that I've noticed around town, yet.

The for-get-me-nots Steve is refering to are likely myosotis and that's what we've got everywhere. It selfseeds and that makes it easy but the color is also heavenly (don't you think that's the right word? :o).

I bought anchusa for-get-me-nots (another borage-family flower) a few years ago but it didn't make it back after a couple of seasons. The color isn't the same, either.

DigitS'

• lnmca
    16 years ago

I've seen lots of yellow Basket of Gold and gorgeous pink reeping Phlox here. It seems like they are pretty hardy and I will plant those for next year. When is the best time to plant? Now or in the fall?

Thanks!

• luckybottom
    16 years ago

Looks like the myrtle and yellow creeping spirea (at least that is what the tag said it was)is all. Sweet woodruff is just starting and the rose bush has buds that are still very tight. Oh yea, dandelions. Got a great recipe for dandelion jam that tastes like honey. That is about the only thing good about that plant!

• plantladyco
    16 years ago

Forgot one...cushion spurge

• digit
    16 years ago

Yeah, I just came in from out of doors - first thing I saw was the myrtle. It has been blooming for awhile. I like to call it periwinkle, Luckybottom. And, it is certainly a pretty, periwinkle blue.

Dandelions? Could you ask for a nicer, buttery yellow? The dandelion jam that tastes like honey sounds good. I've heard people go on and on about the wine. I'll tell ya what, if you are really running out of both coffee and money - grinding and then toasting the roots will s-t-r-e-t-c-h what you've got left without adding much of any off-flavor.

D'S'

• cnetter
    16 years ago

Lots of dandelions, primrose is still blooming, dwarf iris blooming, lots and lots of pansies and violas, money plant, blood root and some kind of low growing speedwell that's quite pretty and well behaved.

• Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado
    16 years ago

Blooming right now I have:
    Lots of violas (theyÂve been blooming almost since the snow melted off)
    Primroses
    Erysimum ÂOrange BedderÂ
    Lewisia
    Phlox douglasii ÂCracker JackÂ
    Veronica ÂWaterperryÂ
    Lamium ÂPink PewterÂ
    Bergenia
    Anemone sylvestris
    Saxifrage
    SolomonÂs Seal - but thatÂs not much of a flower!
    Forget-me-nots that I direct seeded last summer
    Androsace ÂStardustÂ

Just starting:
    "annual" dianthus
    Coreopsis auriculata ÂNanaÂ
    And, I canÂt believe it but, Callirhoe

Arabis is almost done, and my bulbs are gone for the year.

And I almost fell over when I saw this today! No flowers, but my hibiscus is already coming up! I normally wouldnÂt even be looking for it till the beginning of June!

What a year!

But, Jill, if you want to hide bulb foliage as itÂs dying down, IÂd look more for things that bloom in "the next wave." The things that are blooming now will be done before your foliage has completely browned and youÂll be looking at it again. If you get things that are just starting in a few weeks, they should do a better job of effectively screening the bulb foliage as it finishes its work.

Lovin this early spring,
    Skybird

• david52 Zone 6
    16 years ago

I've decided that if I call dandelions 'Flat Daffodils" then they're ok. I sure have a lot of them this year. Creeping phlox and some salvia just starting, and the last of the real daffodils and late tulips.

• lilacs_of_may
    16 years ago

My pansy/viola patch is going wild. My daffs and tulips are blooming. The last of my crocuses and muscari are withering away, but I have one iris with three buds about to bloom. My cherry tree is blooming.

I have some weed that I don't know the name of, but it's blooming. It's taking over my freaking yard! It looks like Day of the Triffids out there. I pull as much as I can out of my flower beds and dump it in the compost pile.

• highalttransplant
    16 years ago

Well ... there is a couple of tulips left. Other than that, nothing. Guess I need to look at your lists and find something to fill in the gap for next year. There are buds forming on the gaillardia 'Goblin', but it will probably be a couple more weeks yet.

The flower beds might not be much to look at right now, but there should be plenty going on there this summer and into the fall!

16 years ago

Lilacs,

If they're blooming and you don't have time to pull them all out right away, cut off the flowers so they can't possibly produce seed before you pull them out. From what you've described, if they go to seed, you'll wish all you had were Triffids!

Skybird

• emagineer
    16 years ago

Yesterday I had the pleasure of visiting one of our RMG member's garden. Have been trying to do this for 4 weeks and yesterday was a rush to get there while a bit of sun was out. She has a wonderful place, was in awe with all done and the amount of work gone into all.

It was comforting to know that what "wasn't" blooming was the same for me. A few things are blooming, and interesting that even a few blocks or around the corner can make a difference. We just aren't ready in my location of COS, plus the rain is knocking most of the blossoms off the trees. But we are getting rain and I revel in it.

I also realized while visiting the garden and reading all the posts, that I have no clue what the names of plants are. Only the ones loved and that have grown well for me...have a bit of catching up with all of you.

• digit
    16 years ago

Emagineer said,
    "Only the ones loved and that have grown well for me." Shouldn't that be all that are necessary? The rest are just gravy.

Steve'sDigits

• cnetter
    16 years ago

It looks like I also have blue flax and wood hyacinth blooming. The grape is loaded with flower buds - it doesn't bloom pretty, but the end result is great. There's a low lying lavender weed that looks like a tiny cranebill in the back that I think is really pretty, but my lawn obsessed neighbor sprays - why on earth someone would want an entire acre of just KBG in this neighborhood is beyond me, but as long as he doesn't spray my roses, I have no real complaints.
    I suppose mushrooms popping up all over the manure pile don't count as blooms.

• Azura
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you all so much for your replies. Id be outside planting some of your suggestions right now if it werent for this darn rain.
    Jill

• digit
    16 years ago

Cnetter, I bet your "tiny cranebill" is redstem stork's bill or redstem filaree.

It's a larger weed and comes a little later than the white version.

You can see the story on the plant with a picture below. I think they are kinda pretty, too.

D'S'

Here is a link that might be useful:

16 years ago

Or Glechoma/ground ivy. If this is what your neighbor is trying to get rid of, cnetter, tell him thank you. I don't know why he wants an acre of KBG, but you don't want even an inch of this stuff. It keeps coming up around my yard, even in the two whisky barrels, and I don't have a clue where it's coming from, but if it ever gets a foothold, you'll never get rid of it.

Skybird

p.s. I have mushrooms coming up all over in the bark mulch around my perennials. I think they may be coming from some bagged compost I mixed in last year. Too bad you can't eat them!

Here is a link that might be useful: Glechoma/ground ivy

• dryad58
    16 years ago

Basket of Gold is spectacular for 2 weeks in spring, but the foliage can get a little ratty towards the end of summer. To be honest, the best performer i have is catmint - I love it! My early tulips are just about done, and as they're fading the catmint is busting out. I have a common white tansy that is starting to hit it's stride too. Brunnera is just beautiful, but i can't use it anywhere other than the shade right next to the house, otherwise it will fry. Some other perennials i have coming up are peonies and japanese anemone, both of which could hide dying foliage once they get big enough. I've heard daylilies are good at that too :)

• cnetter
    16 years ago

Digit,
    it's very similar, if not exactly the same, as this picture from the site you linked:

So I think you've identified it for me.
    It even forms a classic little "cranesbill" seed pod.
    It's a reasonably well behaved little plant, having stayed put in the back for twenty years. I've never seen it in the real lawn up front or the gardens so I don't think it likes competition.
    We used to have a prickly poppy naturally growing in the back, but it eventually dissapeared.
    Here's a neat shade plant blooming now:

Two whole days of Mayday celebrations for me this weekend, so no gardening for me.

• digit
    16 years ago

Cnetter, how is it that the bloodroot bloom is so double? Very interesting foliage - does this plant do well under trees or northside of buildings?

I see bergenia is blooming around town. I used to have that in my yard but the flower stems were very short on those plants. Never understood that . . . it would bloom and the flowers were nearly hidden by the big leaves. Didn't mind leaving it when I moved from that home about 12 years ago.

I found no good picture of the filaree on the web. Should go out and take a shot at it myself. It would require lying down on the ground - might have to stay there. The smaller white filaree is so insignificant of a competitor that I leave it alone, don't like more aggravation than is necessary. It is the only weed that I can just tolerate and it's everywhere in compacted soil this time or earlier - so you see, I'm walking on it. Cultivation pretty well eliminates the tiny plants and anything taller than 3 inches will crowd it out. The purple redstem and the white will grow in gravel parking lots, I've noticed. I mean, if you can't tolerate a weed in a gravel parking lot . . .

Skybird, I've got that darn stuff and haven't known what it is. Grows just under the deck and creeps out into the lawn. Creeps me out, too. Especially since, I don't like the smell when I hit it with the weedwacker . . . that one may finally drive me to pulling the broadleaf weedkiller off the shelf.

DigitS'

• cnetter
    16 years ago

The bloodroot has always bloomed double - it's not the wild variety. I have it on the north side of the house where it does ok, but not great. It's in crummy clay soil that gets too wet and is probably too alkaline. I should add some peat.

16 years ago

Now I can finally post pictures, so here are some of the things that are blooming now! (click on the pictures to enlarge them)

Arabis arendsii ÂCompinkie ItÂs almost done now

Veronica ÂWaterperry just starting to open

Veronica ÂWaterperry open most of the way

Phlox douglasii ÂCracker JackÂ

Lewisia (next to ÂCompinkieÂ)

And, theyÂre not in the ground, but this is Ajuga reptans ÂArboretum Giant on the rightÂthe leaves will get big with a very narrow purple picotee, and A.r. ÂRoyalty on the leftÂlike ÂBronze BeautyÂ, but prettier foliage when they get going. TheyÂll obviously do much better if I ever get them in the ground! You can hardly see it, but the little, tiny leaves in front of the ÂArboretum Giant are A.r. ÂChocolate ChipÂÂthe tiniest ajuga I know of. And, you canÂt really see it in the picture, but theyÂre blooming too! Tiny flowers to go with the tiny leaves!

Skybird

P.S. Cnetter, where did you get that bloodroot? IÂve never seen it before, and I love it!

• cnetter
    16 years ago

Skybird, the bloodroot came from a DBG sale between 17 and 20 years ago.

Digit, I saw the same weed in between rows at Harlequin's in Boulder today, asked Mikl about it and he said it was redstem filaree, so you were right. I still think it's a cute plant.

• dafygardennut
    16 years ago

Yay it's spring!!
    I've got turkish veronica,
    chocolate chip ajuga,
    one of the dianthus varieties (i have 3 or 4 and can't remember which this is),
    grape hyacinths,
    one daffodil (the others aren't up all the way yet),
    pansies and violas

Today I planted rock cress, creeping phlox, lavender, an iceland poppy, and a then few others that won't bloom for a while yet, and then I have a few that are starting to bud.

Dafy

There is one plant we have that I haven't been able to figure out what it is yet - there's a link to my roommate's photo gallery (if you click on the pic it will enlarge) - it's the white one behind the big gargoyle :) thanks

Here is a link that might be useful: Can anyone help identify this one

• cnetter
    16 years ago

I can't quite tell without a closer picture, but it reminds me of candytuft.

16 years ago

I concur, Cnetter. Considering the time of the year, the size, and the shape, I think it's candytuft, Iberis sempervirens.

• dafygardennut
    16 years ago

You gals are awesome - it's been driving me crazy trying to go through all of the pics in google of "white flowers" for over a year now. I kept finding plants that had similar flowers but the leaves were all wrong.

thank you so much
    Dafy

• cnetter
    16 years ago

Things are slow, so I'm going to post some pictures from the last couple of days.

A clump of SDB iris Black Suede:

A clump of SDB iris that's supposed to be Blood Covenant, but isn't:
    {{gwi:1201741}}

A clump of Pirate's Patch:

Wood's Apricot ans Sapphire Gem SDB:

Here's a very nice, well behaved low growing veronica, whose name just won't come to me right now.

Here's the Redstem Filaree that's in the back of my lot, near the chicken coup. It's a tiny Erodium.

16 years ago

I think it's woolly veronica, Cnetter. I love your purple iris--and the apricot too. Oh, how I wish I had more room!

Here is a link that might be useful: Veronica pectinata

• cnetter
    16 years ago

Yup, that's definitely the name, now that you've reminded me.
    I wish I had a good place for that hot pink phlox.

• stevation
    16 years ago

Skybird,

I've been busy lately and haven't participated in the forum as much. But it's GREAT to see that you figured out all the photo posting stuff! Looks like you figured out how to get the photos from your camera, too. Good stuff!

By the way, here's one of the wonderful things keeping me so busy these days!

• highalttransplant
    16 years ago

I know these aren't really blooming, but I just wanted to try to do the clickable thumbnail pictures.

This first one is a yellow dianthus, which doesn't even have buds yet. Some of you mentioned having dianthus blooming. Maybe the yellow just blooms later.

This is gaillardia 'Goblin' which you can see is covered in buds. These things bloom like crazy up until frost. I've been told they will bloom themselves out, and have a short lifespan, but so far, I've never had one not come back.

What I am missing is things blooming now. They need to be warm colors, no blues or pinks, and have foliage that looks good during the summer. What do you guys suggest?

• digit
    16 years ago

Bonnie, this isn't in my garden but I always wish it was about this time of year:

{{gwi:1201707}}

• digit
    16 years ago

I'll have these oriental poppies in just about 24 hours - pop!! They aren't the red "stunners." Rather, they are the antique type that has migrated from next door where they were once against the house. The new owners have been real handy with crushed rock and Round-up. The only ones that have survived are now on my side of the fence where they seem to do fine (altho' a little floppy ;o) in a good deal of shade.

The foliage won't last and when it begins to go down, I run over them with the weedwhacker. However, the salmon-red, silky flowers are welcome in May.

(Apparently, O'Keefe's paintings from the 1920's are now in the public domain, I find them all over the web!)
    {{gwi:1201710}}

• cnetter
    16 years ago

My orange rock rose (helianthemum) has *just* started to bloom today. The picture just isn't as bright as the actual blooms. The grey/green low dense foliage is nice looking all season. I've had it so long, I've forgotten the variety, but it's a common one. This pic is from later in May last year.

The only other hot colored flower I had blooming right now is this little SDB iris, Wood's Gold, from either Lowes or Home Desperate. It's really done well this year - the blooms have just kept coming.

I admit, I'm more into "cool" colours. But I've got some fantastic hot colored daylilies later in the season.

• highalttransplant
    16 years ago

Cnetter and Digit, thanks for the photos and suggestions! I love that rock rose. High Country Gardens has a yellow one, a rose, a burgandy, and an orange one, but their orange one is much lighter than yours with green foliage . I like yours better. The only iris I've ever grown is the dark purple ones with the more narrow petals, are they called 'Siberian'? The color on that Wood's Gold is nice, but then I would need something in front of it to hide the dying foliage once it's done blooming. How tall do they get?

Digit, you may not want one of those in your garden. When I looked it up at Dave's Garden it says it may be invasive. I did sow some poppy seeds this winter, but the germination was poor and the few sprouts I had were victims of one of our windy days. They are between 3 to 4 ft in height aren't they? I get confused about the difference between annual and perennial poppies. Do they just reseed, or are there some that actually come back each year?

• cnetter
    16 years ago

My rock rose is actually a lighter, brighter colour than that pic. I need to take a better pic. But I highly recommend it. I used to have a bright yellow too - it was really really bright.
    The iris foliage gets roughly 10 inches tall and I don't think it ever died back until the fall freeze.

• stevation
    16 years ago

Yeah, my iris foliage stays green all season, too. Mine are Siberian. And yes, there are perennial poppies, and the picture Digit posted is a perennial Oriental poppy. They spread by seeds and I *think* by new clumps from the roots, too. But I didn't think they were invasive. At least my mother-in-law's weren't.

• lnmca
    16 years ago

My neighbor has a whole slew of what I think might be poppies coming up. They too have droopy heads and a very furry serrated edged leaf. What makes their heads droop? Is that how it is supposed to be?

I'll have to figure out how to post pics. Our neighbors have a beautiful garden, albeit neglected for a few years(lady of the house, who worked the garden, passed this year). Since we just moved in last July, it has been so interesting to see what sprouts up as spring progresses. It is a bit sad, though. Someone obviously took great joy in tending to it. There are at least 20 varieties of tulips that I can see and irises and peonies will be flowering soon. It's all I can do to keep myself from going over there, weeding and spreading a little compost around! Unfortunately, they have a surly dog and I have 3 little ones and the two don't mix...so I am not able to help out. Also unfortunate is that the house might be a scrape, so all that work will be destroyed! so sad :(

16 years ago

HereÂs the latest things blooming!

{{gwi:1201768}}

{{gwi:1201769}}
    Coreopsis auriculata ÂNanaÂ

{{gwi:1201771}}
    Bergenia - only one small flower so far

{{gwi:1201773}}
    Lamium maculatum ÂPink PewterÂ

{{gwi:1201775}}
    Saxifraga (past its prime)

{{gwi:1201776}}
    Forget-me-nots & SolomonÂs Seal
    {{gwi:1201777}}

{{gwi:1201779}}
    Anemone sylvestris

{{gwi:1201781}}
    Erysimum allionii ÂOrange Bedder just starting to open (formerly: Cheiranthus cheiri)

Inmca, Oriental poppy buds always hang down like that. It looks like there's something wrong with them, but they'll "stand up" when they open.

Lovin' this spring,
    Skybird

16 years ago

Here's a better picture of the Solomon's seal.
    {{gwi:1201784}}

• twhgardener
    16 years ago

Lilacs are blooming profusely! Flowers on my apple and other fruit trees. Bluebells are everywhere. Columbine are getting ready to flower. What I thought were coneflowers are getting ready to bloom - I think I may be wrong about what they are because I thought coneflowers didn't bloom until Fall.

Here is a link that might be useful: Firewalkers Ranch

• lnmca
    16 years ago

skybird:
    thanks for posting those pictures. They are gorgeous! You have such a variety of plants.
    Must make a person smile to walk by, I am sure.

Yes, the neighbors' poppies were, in fact, Oriental poppies. About 5 opened their heads this weekend. I can't wait to see the full blown display. They are an orange color (and look like the picture digit posted above) and make ME smile every time I see them!

My glads (cheap bag from low*s) are starting to come up....I am so EXCITED! so I ran out and bought a bunch more from walmart to plant in between our foundation bushes. I am insane. You have no idea how exciting this is to have a yard that I can actually plant stuff in.

• nrynes
    16 years ago

I guess I'm a couple of weeks behind most folks...my daffodils are still blooming, as are creeping phlox, basket of gold alyssum, and prairie smoke. Columbines and bearded iris are close - they will probably bloom next week. I have some penstemons starting to send out bloom stalks, but those are a few weeks out yet.

Nancy

• cnetter
    16 years ago

I need to dump the pics out of the camera, but right now I've got various bearded iris blooming such as Wench, Jurassic Park, Scottish Reel, Champagne Elegance, Enchanted One, High Master and Jesse's Song. Last year's pic of these can be found here if any one is interested.
    Also have chives, hardy geraniums cantabrigiense 'Biokova', cantabrigiense (species), hot pink Geranium cinereum, pretty little Geranium cinereum Ballerina, Bloody Cranesbill and Johnson's Blue. Rose Harrison's Yellow has just started.
    Been picking asparagus.
    Chives, money plant, highbush cranberry, bush honeysuckle, some lavender tulips on the north side, bleeding heart, globe allium and still lots of pansies. And dandylions.

• lilacs_of_may
    16 years ago

My iris are beginning to bloom: Skyfire, Eleanor Roosevelt, Blueberry Bliss, Immortality, and Batik. Red dianthus are blooming. I've still got a couple tulip holdouts. My rose in front is covered with buds.

• jchaber
    16 years ago

Wow, so many good plants!! Right now, Saturday, May 19, I have a garden that was completely neglected. I was overwhelmed during winter and have just now started.
    Blooming on its own:
    Daffodils by the millions
    forget-me-nots
    aspen leafs have opened
    what looks like lobularia, white
    What I have just planted:
    calibrachoa
    petunias
    marigolds
    I can't wait to see what all else is in my garden! Looks like I might have poppies of some sort, squash of some sort and there is something that has leaves that remind me of a currant or a gooseberry...we shall see...

• lilacs_of_may
    16 years ago

My Batik iris is blooming! It was getting dark when I got home, so I didn't get a real clear look at it, but from what I saw it looks every bit as beautiful as its pictures.

My Skyfire iris is about to open up, too.