Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
etherati

Need opinions on tomato problem

etherati
12 years ago

Hey, new here but desperately needing a positive ID on the problem cropping up in my tomato seedlings. I've never grown them from seed before so I don't know what to look for. No disease profiles online seem to match it exactly - I thought maybe bacterial spot/canker, but it's not quite right and it's so dry here that it didn't make much sense anyway. Maybe nutrient deficiency? Some sort of fungus? I just need to figure out if it's safe to put these in the garden come last frost time, without contaminating the soil with something nasty.

So: They're about 5 weeks old, mixed varieties (supersweet 100 cherry, roma, early girl, big boy, brandywine, and a mix of other heirlooms from burpee). The problem in the pictures is primarily on the older leaves, but younger leaves eventually get it too. Nothing wrong on the stems, plants seem strong and lively. Seed leaves have been yellowing and falling off on their own. Currently fertilizing with Age Old Grow (20-10-10), which is organic and not supposed to be able to burn plants, but for a while they were just in seed starter with no added nutrients. Drainage is good, and they're under a sun lamp so they should be getting enough light? Though it's only 100w, so who knows.

Anyway, pics:

http://i.imgur.com/DBJPd.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/5ZjCl.jpg

Any ideas?

Comments (5)

• Dan _Staley (5b Sunset 2B AHS 7)
    12 years ago

First one tough to say but I want to say virus with just that picture. Second is a deficiency likely of P.

Organic nutrition doesn't work in a sterile seedling mix as it needs soil critters to work.

Second thing is the second picture is too dark so maybe not enough light (but they don't look leggy), so combine with inadequate nutrition and light and could lead to first pic (shouldn't be viruses in commercial seed packets).

Dan

• etherati
    Original Author
    12 years ago

They're actually the same plant - front and back of the same leaf. I moved it to take the picture, so yeah, light in the photo isn't reflective of how much light they actually have. :)

I didn't know that about adding nutrients to seed-starter! They do seem to have all perked up and had a bit of a growth spurt since I added it, but that could still be a marginal reaction compared to what they could be getting otherwise.

So I guess it's time to accelerate project repot, get them in some good organic mix. I tend to think it's probably not a virus too, just because yeah, it's all commercial seed. We'll see how they do in better soil.

• elkwc
    12 years ago

Will add my 2 cents. I don't see anything that really concerns me in the pictures. I don't see any signs of disease. Overall the plants looks fine. I start 5-7 hundred a year. Not all will look picture perfect. I'm not sure what Age Old Grow is. There are organic methods you can use to feed the plants while in potting soil. Fish/seaweed solutions are one. I use a soybean based organic feed sometimes. Many of the germinating mixes don't have any nutrients in them as the commercial growers transplant shortly after germination. I let some go hungry for a week this year. I would just feed them a little with something and you will have nice plants. If you want to stay the organic route the fish/seaweeds solutions are a good choice. If not any of the blue water solutions work well. I like the middle number to be high. I usually use what they call a rooting/blooming formula. It develops a great root system on a plant. Hope you have a great 011 gardening season. Jay

• colokid
    12 years ago

I have no idea, unless you "splattered" fertilizer on the leaves. I would just give the opinion that a lot of people are fertilizer happy and think that plants need the latest advertised stuff. Mine get along quit nicely with out adding any fertilizer in the starter or later in the potting mix.

• etherati
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Jay: Thank you, it's good to know nothing too terrible is going on with them. My main worry is that basically all of them are showing the same 'symptoms', but if it's a deficiency issue that's easily enough explained. Thank you for the kind wishes; '11 is gonna be my breakthrough year I hope!

colokid: No, I didn't splatter the leaves... it's not really an issue of them needing the 'latest advertised stuff' so much as them showing signs of multiple deficiencies after staying in the nutrient-less seed starter well into their vegetative phase. But it's okay, I'm getting them into good soil now, so they should have what they need.