Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mimosa or Silk tree info?

Posted by carob z6 Utah (My Page) on
Thu, May 11, 06 at 11:29

One of my favorite trees is the mimosa or silk tree (Albizia julibrissin)..a popular tree in warmer climates. But I have been told that they actually can be grown in a zone 6 climate and I have seen a few mature ones in the Salt Lake area. Is there anyone out there who has had experience growing these trees? I'm thinking about planting one or two on the south side of my house.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mimosa or Silk tree info?

Hi, You should get the hardier variety, 'eh wilson' mimosa tree. It sounds like you have the right idea planting them on the south side of the house. There's not too much to do really, just plant and water until they get established. Btw, I know that Forest Farm carries the hardier variety. Good luck.

o

The Sunset western gardening book mentions one called 'rosea' that might be hardier too - plus it has darker pink flowers. My local nursery is trying to get that one for me. There are several that have been around here for a long time so I'm pretty confident about growing one as well.

o

• Posted by carob z6 Utah (My Page) on
    Tue, May 23, 06 at 23:02

Thank you both for the info. They are hard to find and people at the nurserys don't seem to know much about them. I'll look for those varieties you've mentioned.

o
RE: Mimosa or Silk tree info - thanks for info

• Posted by carob z6 Utah (My Page) on
    Tue, May 23, 06 at 23:04

Thank you both for the info. They are hard to find and people at the nurserys don't seem to know much about them. I'll look for those varieties you've mentioned.

o

If you're interested, I've got a couple of these in my yard and it produces LOTS of seed pods. I can send a bunch of seeds for you to try and germinate if you'd like... I also get lots of volunteers in the yard too - one sprouted a about 3 years ago next to the garage in my North side yard where there's NO supplemental water and little direct sun and it's 15ft tall now. They grow very fast from seed.

My "main" tree is on the south side of my house and gets full sun and some supplemental water (not much). It has been there since I've owned the house (7 years or so) and it has a great umbrella canopy about 20-25ft tall. It's just about to start blooming, the hummingbirds love it!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here