Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
catnohat

Pictures! Let's see them.

catnohat
10 years ago

My poppies are blooming! They are my first big flowers in the back yard. These are the ones I brought to the swap. (The 2 orange pots. Someone else had brought some also.)

Comments (67)

• popmama (Colorado, USDA z5)
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Pretty sure I'm in love with that Anemone sylvestris. I don't have one of those. I wonder why not? *sees trip to garden center in near future*

• margaretmontana
    10 years ago

Here they call them Japanese Anemone and my husband calls them the enemy! They have a tough mass of a root system and the seed heads are like dandelions and the seed blows as well as spreads from the roots. Use them in an area where you don't care if they take over.

• Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado
    10 years ago

Mama, if you think you might be able to come to one of the swaps don't spend any money on the Anemone sylvestris! A year or so ago I managed to kill virtually all of mine (long story) and it'll be at least another year before mine spreads enough to be giving it away again, but at past swaps I've given away DOZENS of them and there must be several people around by now with fairly large patches of it, so if you sign up to come to one of the swaps and ask if anyone could bring some for you I suspect you'll be able to get a free start of it--and it spreads pretty quickly so it doesn't take much to get you started! I wasn't able to make it to the Spring Swap but possibly other people are starting to bring starts of it even without being asked for it.

Bonnie, your Mesa Verde is looking great! Almost all of mine died off this past winter and I'm not at all sure at this point but I think there are still a couple little bits on one side that might make it! Have my fingers crossed! Love the black-red Dianthus too! That's my color!!!

Skybird

• catnohat
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yep, everyone of the snapdragons in my pictures are from 1 to 4 years old. The babies that are popping up from seed are only 4 or 5 inches tall. They will bloom eventually!

• polygonum_tinctorium
    10 years ago

No photos from me yet, but I wanted to thank everyone who has given me starts of various plants.

My irises are blooming this year. They are fabulous!

Some of the ice plants are blooming -- white nugget is so covered in flowers at midday that I can't even see the vegetation beneath. The Fire Spinner ice plant and the hardy yellow ice plants are also blooming nicely. The ajugas are a solid mass of little blue and purple flower spikes.

The salvia and penstemons are putting out buds. The sedums are doing very well, and ditto for most of the sempervivums The yellow columbine also looks like it might bloom this year.

A mystery plant is setting buds -- I wonder what it is and who I got it from? I'm glad I didn't weed it out when it sprouted this spring! I can't recognize it from the vegetation. Hopefully it will be more obvious when it blooms.

My snapdragons also survived the winter. I hope they reseed! They aren't blooming yet. I started them last spring from seed shared at a plant swap. The pinks I have also survived, but I already knew that even the ones sold as annual pinks are really very hardy perennials that will return for at least a few years.

Many other things are greening up but of course won't bloom until later in the season.

Anyway, even without photos, I just wanted to say thank you again for all the beautiful things you have shared. I'm glad I'm finally able to start sharing, too.

I still have a ton of work to do to get my yard looking good. But it looks cheerful with all the blooming plants. And it makes me smile to see them blooming, and to think about the people who are responsible for it being in my yard.

• popmama (Colorado, USDA z5)
    10 years ago

Skybird, I will try to wait until one of the next swaps. I haven't been to one in a very long time, but in the past I had been to at least two. Here are a few pics from my garden as of today.

This little garden has a lot going on in it. It might even be considered haphazard. I created it after one of my first swaps. There is a hardy geranium blooming that I'm pretty sure came from a swap. There is a yellow penstemon and a pink one that have not yet bloomed, a lupine I just planted this year, a peony over on the right that has always been rather pathetic, and some wonderful purple mallow sylvestris which I love (also not in bloom yet).

This garden contains a wonderful Siberian iris that I believe came from a swap also. Anyone every had one turn from purple to white? I swear this one was purple at one time. In the background is a dark purple Clematis that I say is like that plant from Little Shop of Horrors. I cut it down to the ground every year and this is what I get back. It hasn't bloomed yet, but it's very pretty when it does. It also grows up my neighbor's tree. I really want an arch for it, but have yet to purchase one.

The sunflower is painted on an old satellite dish mounted to some wrought iron from an old security door. I tend to be a bit "garden junky" also.

• gjcore
    10 years ago

highalttransplant, your flowers look awesome!

I'll play "Pictures! Let's see them."

Fron yard looking to the northeast. Starting from the bottom right going to the left and then moving up and going to the right...

Red Bulb Onions, strawberries, nasturtium, oregano,

White Dutch clover around the pavers,

Geraniums in containers, Russian sage that I'm letting go to seed, clover, rosemary,

Winter savory, French Lavender, daisy then strawberries,

Then in the back easiest things to see is sage and garlic

The new sage plant is looking nice

My first real attempt to grow potatoes

In the foreground are bush beans, a few have been decimated by slugs. The center bed is rattlesnake pole beans, Italian Rose bush beans in the middle and the cucumbers on the left which are probably to small to see.

• gjcore
    10 years ago

Oops, not Russian Sage but Russian Kale in the first picture.

• jaliranchr
    10 years ago

Loving all the pictures. Well done, each one of you!

• david52 Zone 6
    10 years ago

I badly need a new camera. So this is blurry, and I'm sorry. And, Fathers Day is coming up!!

Here we have, year 3 after division, a bank of 20-odd Karl Rosenfield peonies who finally hit their stride, a clematis Belle of Wocking clematis I neglected to cut back last year, the standard, Four-Corners twisted cedar in lieu of pink flamingo garden decoration, and a buncha green stuff thats going to bloom later.

• david52 Zone 6
    10 years ago

And here is a bed of salvia May Night and Blue Hill, along with some rapidly browning off daffodils and some roses that are going to bloom next week. And thats a brand new, $85,000 Porche Carerra in the distance. It just looks like some 18 yr old beater Honda.

• conace55
    10 years ago

My yellow iceplant is looking so cheerful!

• b2alicia
    10 years ago

Peony is opening!

Now, if only the wind won't blow much for the next few days!

• highalttransplant
    10 years ago

I keep looking for the "like" button after viewing everyone's pictures ...

Connie, I really like the iceplant around the stepping stones! I have some that has migrated to the back of the flower bed where it's kind of hidden. Guess I need to dig up some pieces and move to the bed near the street where it can be seen.

• b2alicia
    10 years ago

gjcore,
    Your sage plant has those pretty little purple flowers?
    I love it!

• kvenkat
    10 years ago

My HoneySweet Buck rose. Love this plant. Blooms its little heart out all summer.

• SusanF123
    10 years ago

Wow everyone's photos look great!

• kristie73
    10 years ago

I think this is Sunset Foxglove, that is blooming. I'm a beginner gardener and really had no idea what I bought when I did and planted it a few years ago. So it came back and was one of the first things to bloom in my yard.

• catnohat
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This chocolate Nigella is looking good. It self seeded from last year. I transplanted a few to another spot. They are not near as big as this one or blooming yet. These are easy to collect seed from if anyone is interested. Does anyone out there have any other nigella?

~Cat

• catnohat
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Has anyone every grown lemon cucumbers? Is this what they look like? I'm hoping that's what this plant is. It could also be a gourd. I planted a mix of gourds also, and my labeling was shady!

• luckybottom
    10 years ago

I have grown lemon cucumbers and this looks more like a gourd to me. cucumber leaves would be smaller and the blossom would not look like something to make stuffed squash blossoms with.

We got some hay put up.

• digit
    10 years ago

Posted by catnohat (My Page) on Wed, Jun 19, 13 at 18:20 Has anyone every grown lemon cucumbers? Is this what they look like? . . .

(That chocolate Nigella sure looks like something special, Cat'. Pretty.)

I will say that they look a little too robust for lemon cucumber vines. Difficult for me to know beyond that.

They are waaay ahead of my lemon cukes. That variety has been in my garden for about 6 years.

I really like them, altho' others are earlier. Here is just my personal opinion: don't wait until they are yellow to eat them. I like them best as soon as they fill out to a round shape and are still a pale green.

You know, I think all cucumbers turn yellow at maturity. It may just be that we think of round as more appealing than cylindrical. Still, they are tasty little cukes and very prolific.

Steve

• lizbest1
    10 years ago

Hi guys! I've been enjoying your pics, such pretty flowers and veggies. I've been busy creating a new garden bed for all of the (way too many) things I wintersowed this year. It's going to look crazy-probably 1/3 of the stuff I planted have completely faded tags. I'll never learn! Here's a picture from earlier this spring when the peonies out front were barely starting to bloom....there's Husker's Red Penstemon in the lower left and lots of the Elodie lily starting to get big in the background below the bathouse.

• lizbest1
    10 years ago

And this was another bed this last week. Rocky Mountain Blue Penstemon in the foreground with several peonies behind it.

• lizbest1
    10 years ago

And this was another bed this last week. Rocky Mountain Blue Penstemon in the foreground with several peonies behind it.

{{gwi:1202125}}

• lizbest1
    10 years ago

And to those of you who got what I thought was a white double peony at the spring exchange I think I guessed wrong--there were at least 2 other varieties of peony that got lost in the wild roses that I didn't realize survived! One is a pink I'm still trying to ID, the other is a fancy cactus single called Circus Circus. I'll post of pic of the other when it opens completely and will pass on the name if/when I figure it out....I'm so disorganized....This pic is Circus Circus. At least it's unique enough that I could ID this one at a glance!

• lizbest1
    10 years ago

I did have an early pic of the NOID pink lost in the wild roses, not completely open yet. If you look really hard to the right of that one you'll see the tiny pink bud that turned into the Circus Circus...

• lizbest1
    10 years ago

Last one for tonight, this is part of the new bed I started this spring--it's the side in the foreground, ends at the path and stretches another 25 ft to the left of this pic. So far I've put down 115 feet of edging and moved in 20 yards of planter's mix. I'm still getting drip lines moved in and need a couple more yards of mulch and I'll be done. I'll post another pic when I'm done putting in all of my wintersown starts. Not everything in it is wintersown, though. I ordered a bunch of lilies and more peonies in the spring that have been planted in the new bed and have a fall order of peonies coming, too. It's going to be a crazy mish-mash for quite a while, at least most of the stuff doesn't mind being moved.....

• nunchucks
    10 years ago

Thanks for sharing your stunning blooms! A lot of my plants are leaning due to the high winds last week. Highalttransplant - my Verbascum is still pushing out blooms. I have 3 that was planted last year. 1 is huge about 2.5 feet and the other 2 only about 1.5 feet. How large are yours? I was also hoping they would reseed but so far I haven't seen anything other than weeds sprouting. Lizin - love your peony and Conace the iceplant is spectacular. Mine aren't doing great - I had gotten a Mesa verde from Skybird last year and thought I'd lost them over winter and I had 2 Cooperi's bought last year and almost lost them both...one tiny little nubbin survived. Mesa Verde is starting to bloom but nothing like Highalt's. Skybird - What happened to your Anemone Sylvestris??!! PopMama - you are welcome to have some of my Anemone Sylvestris - if you are somewhere close to Firestone, come on over and dig up some runners. Let me know.

Here's a bunch of pics taken in the last couple of weeks

Icelandic Poppy

These are blooms from the same plant a week later but they are different? is this normal or odd??!!

Pyrethrum - wintersowed a couple of years ago- finally flowered this year and got horribly wind whipped last week but I love the bright magenta flowers

Yellow Irises

Verbascum Southern Charm - the large one

Penstemon Red Riding Hood blooming it's heart out in the front. The other electric purple variety is unknown

Here's a close up of the purple one - any ideas what type this is? this showed up as a volunteer seedling in the same nursery pot as my platycodon - glad that I didn't think it was a weed!

Oh and the fella and I also relocated a couple of snakes that was taking refuge in our porch yesterday and last week - no pictures. we were trying not to get bitten. They were between 3-4 feet long. Love seeing everyone's blossoms keep them coming

This post was edited by sugaralice on Fri, Jun 21, 13 at 15:33

• nunchucks
    10 years ago

I can't figure out why my pics aren't loading! I need to get to bed and will figure it out this weekend. Sorry everyone

• digit
    10 years ago

It might be the website, Alice!

Half of your message is in the "beige" background and the upper half is in the white!

We may have reached some kind of GW picture limit. Don't know.

Steve

10 years ago

Don't know what's going on here but the whole background is white for me, Digit!

The only problem for me is that there's little question marks where the pics should be, and then when I try to open one of them I get this message:

Google

404. That’s an error.

The requested URL /-
    CUFvMU1IeeA/UcEmOEEXYTI/AAAAAAA was not found
    on this server. That’s all we know.

Something must be wrong with the link---but that's WAY over my head so somebody else will need to try to figure it out! I really, really, really love how easy it is to get the right link to post with Picasa! Very grateful to Stevation and BPgreen--two Utah folks who don't post around here anymore--that they helped Computer Challenged Me to figure out how to install and use it Way Back When!

Skybird

P.S. I've posted way more pics than that in a single post so I don't think the number of pics is a problem.

P.P.S. Just thought of something!!! (WOW!) With Picasa there are two different "types" of links to copy, one is for posting online and the other is for sending in emails. Is it possible, with whatever hosting site you're using, that you copied the link for emailing rather than the one for posting online?

P.P.P.S.!!! If the error message I copied above is the actual link you pasted into your post, there's no "href" or "https" in it, and I know it needs that to work (the https part at least!) but can't tell you exactly how to put it in if it's not already in the link you copy! That's gets back to the Computer Challenged stuff--and Picasa already has all that stuff in the link for ya!

• polygonum_tinctorium
    10 years ago

Sugaralice: The Red Riding Hood penstemon I got from you last year is blooming right now. It is spectacular! I have it next to the May Night salvia I got from Amester. I love the combo. Thank you so much for sharing the rooted cutting last year!

The ice plants I got from skybird and others are doing well for the most part. They are blooming next to the penstemon, salvia, etc. I love the metallic red sheen of the Fire Spinner ice plant that is in front of the salvia with its deep purple/red flower spikes. The yellow and the Lavender Ice (psfave) are blooming well this week, and the Mesa Verde is starting to bloom. The white nugget is winding down -- still flowering, but not covered with blooms the way it was a few weeks ago. My Table Mountain (aka John Profitt) ice plant is pretty reasonable this year, too.

One of my mystery plants bloomed this year. It is Gaillardia. thank you to whoever gave this to me! I like it, and I'm so glad i decided it wasn't a weed when it sprouted in my garden this spring. It is cute near the fading irises and the pinks and the snapdragons.

The yellow columbine bloomed this year. Thank you to skybird and amester, one or both of whom were the source of my plants.

So many other things are doing well, too. It is exciting to watch it happen. Of course, I'm carefully not looking at the bazillions of weeds that I'm still fighting as I slowly get the yard into shape. Or the half-dead grass that is not yet recovered from last year's sprinkler malfunction.

I have actually taken a few photos of these plants, so there's some chance the evidence will get posted somewhere so that it can be admired or sneered at by others. Meanwhile, thanks for letting me write about the beauty of the plants I've received from so many of you in our plant swaps. I am delighted to be able to share new starts of anything I have that is doing well.

10 years ago

While I'm here I'll post a few of my pics! These aren't pics I just took since I STILL don't have Picasa up and running since the hard drive crash, but these are things that are actually blooming right now!

Callirhoe just starting to bloom and should keep going the rest of the summer.

'Royal Candles' spike Veronica starting it's first bloom for this year.

My "always and forever" yellow columbine--one of 4 plants--this was my first.

Penstemon strictus, Rocky Mountain Penstemon--much bigger than this now--is just about finishing up for this year.

Sedum kamtschaticum 'Variegatum' also just about done for this year and soon to be chopped down! In this pic the pinkish buds are just starting to open!

'Compact Rose' Geranium blooming now.

'Waterperry' Veronica--also much larger now than in this pic--is about finishing up for the first time this year and will also be cut down very soon.

'Golden Baby' Solidago, goldenrod--bigger now--is in full bloom.

Have two patches of the 'White Nugget' Iceplant now, and both much bigger than in this pic, and they've been blooming like crazy for several weeks now. Love this stuff! (And got a yellow Delosperma basuticum last fall--hasn't bloomed yet.)

Coreopsis auriculata 'Nana' is pretty much finishing up for the summer. It struggled this year after the 72 to 8 degree day just as it was getting going! That's the 'Waterperry' behind it, and the little white one behind/above that is Mt. Atlas Daisy, also lookin' like it's about done for the summer.

In the front yard the English Lavender is just starting for the first bloom this summer.

Gazania linearis 'Colorado Gold' is in full swing. Not too sure what I think of this stuff! It was in when I moved in! The flowers are really pretty when they're open, but they close up if there's "not enough sun" so it's not like "they're there" all the time, and while it does keep on blooming for a long time, the dead flowers get real ratty looking after a while and it's definitely not the easiest thing to deadhead!

And 4 of the 5 roses are blooming now--after a major setback with the hard freeze. Don't have a good pic of the dark red and the white's not opening yet.

Lots more things to open soon!

Really enjoying everyone's pics! (And hope to see yours soon, Sugar!)

Skybird

• nunchucks
    10 years ago

I actually see text just no pics on both my browsers after posting but everything looked fine during preview - when I tried to edit there are a bunch of gobbledegook that planted themselves into my html image source...So I tried another way while shoveling my lunch at the office. Let's see if it shows up! I REALLY should get back to work!! I'll check back in later.

• digit
    10 years ago

Everything looks wonderful now!

In fact, this thread looks good enough for some glossy magazine!

Howsomeever . . . the background still goes from white to beige just about where Alice begins her post . . ! I have no idea why it is doing that. Fine - it doesn't look bad. The color just changes as I scroll down the page.

Steve

• conace55
    10 years ago

Sugaralice, I can see all of your pictures now. I'm especially in love with the Verbascum Southern Charm and the Penstemon Red Riding Hood. Both are just beautiful and are now on my list of "must haves" for my yard. Thanks for introducing me to them.

Connie

• b2alicia
    10 years ago

alice, your flowers are just beautiful!

• polygonum_tinctorium
    10 years ago

Oh, wow, absolutely beautiful pics. sugaralice, skybird, and everyone else.

drool......

• kristie73
    10 years ago

May night salvia, lilac, yarrow, foxglove, and penstenon blooming.

• b2alicia
    10 years ago

The Lowe's near me has the cheapest Fuschia hanging baskets I could find...$14.95

And the roses next to the deck have started blooming! These were here when I moved in, they smell WONDERFUL, but I'm not sure what their names are.

This other poor rose bush has had a tough time since I moved in. Somehow I almost killed it twice.
    :(
    One year it looked like this:
    {{gwi:296738}}

Another year it looked like this:
    {{gwi:296739}}

Today it's blooming!

Still not as robust as 2008, but recovering.
    {{gwi:296741}}

Trying some dianthus in this spot.

• nunchucks
    10 years ago

I second Steve on everyone's pics, they all look so gorgeous! Poly I am so happy to hear that your garden is beginning to grow since I remember talking at the swaps about all the difficulty you have. Like Poly I am terribly grateful for all your advise and all the plant starts I have gotten from you all. Connie, I am happy to share my penstemon cuttings with you if I can get them to root. This year I had 20 going hoping to bring them to the swap which by chance I missed but somehow they all didn;t take root. I am not sure what I did differently last year. The plant doesnt' seem to spread by roots or anything of that sort or may be slow to do so therefore I am not sure how to get more because I like more of them around the rest of the garden and in case they peter out one season. The only think I can think of is maybe the long cold spring was the reason? The Verbascum is supposed to reseed according to Bluestone's description but I see no signs of that yet? I only got these last summer. Skybird, your yellow columbine is begining to put out more blooms and they are lovely. Anyway I had picked up more plants today at the Flower Bin in Longmont - everything is 20% off this weekend. Coincidently I picked up a Callirhoe and a Veronica Royal Candles which I had my heart set on for a long time and Skybird, your RC looks so good I am glad I had gotten them. I also picked up several Lychnis Chalcedonia and a couple of Coreopsis Zagreb and a Mercury Rising - reddish wine blossoms looked striking and was smitten.
    PS: I am not sure what the heck was going on with the image codes. I've posted with the exact same html image embedding code but somehow this time after submitting a lot of the code changed characters. Well I am glad the link version worked. Well I am pooped for the day and speaking of poop....I'll start a new post about that!
    Love, love, love everyone's pictures! Thanks for starting this thread Cat

• gjcore
    10 years ago

Nice flowers everyone :-)

I've got a few blooming. I really like the Asiatic Lily. Usually the blooms open exactly on the solstice. A few days late this year but still pretty.

Here is a Clary Sage. Had a hard time getting a good picture.

Here is a feverfew plant. It's a bit leggy as it's in mostly shade.

• lizbest1
    10 years ago

Every time I come back to this thread I write down more plants to search out! Do you guys think we'll all end up with the exact same plants in everyone's garden from trading or going out to buy what looks gorgeous in the other member's pics?!!

• b2alicia
    10 years ago

Skybird!
    Somehow I missed that gorgeous Callirhoe in your yard the first time I looked. What a beautiful flower! I love it!

• gardenarts
    10 years ago

We have about 5 large cottonwood stumps in our backyard that we're trying to camouflage until they rot enough to dig out, which can take many years here on the dry Front Range of Colorado. This year we set some flagstone on top of one and built an annual flower tower on top of. We drilled holes in the bottom of an old washtub, built a wood platform in the middle of that, then set a large strawberry pot on top and filled it with assorted annuals. It's really colorful and looks a whole lot better than the stump.

We dug out the center of another stump and planted rock garden plants. It's pretty tedious digging out the wood, but we' re going to do that to a couple more of the stumps over time. I don't have a pic of that one, but I'll try to take one and post it.

• b2alicia
    10 years ago

I got two small little cuttings at the fall swap in 2010, and look at them now!

Thank you so much, skybird!

10 years ago

Are those yellow hollyhocks on the left, B2? I love the yellow ones! Yours are looking great! You must have seedlings coming up in there by now (if you don't you WILL soon!) but since Alcea crosses I recommend starting more plants to see if you come up with some other variations of pink. (The ones you have are the most "common" pinks.) I had a couple really pretty ones a couple years--one was almost an ivory and a couple pale pink ones were real ruffly looking! And if that is a yellow Alcea in the pic, no telling what colors you might come up with. Also, hollyhocks are technically biennials, so they "should" die after the second year when they bloom--obviously they didn't/don't! But when they get older they tend to get real "woody" in the center, and if you start a couple new plants close to the old ones every couple years, you can remove the old ones when the new ones are two years old, and the new ones will give you nicer looking plants--and possibly some color variation .

Here are a couple of the "more unusual" ones I had. Never got a pic of the "ivory" one!

Thanks for posting the pics, and if you do ever get some really cool and/or unusual colors, post them for us!

Skybird

P.S. Love your "cottonwood stump," GardenArts!

• b2alicia
    10 years ago

Ooh those are gorgeous, skybird.
    Any tricks to saving the seedlings?

10 years ago

Are you asking about the seeds or the seedlings, B2? If the seedlings, just wait till they have at least a couple true leaves and dig them up and put them where you want them. Don't wait till they're too big, 'cause they're semi-taprooted and will be easier to move when they're still pretty small. (They're easy to stick in a little pot for the swaps too! When you got yours I was putting 1 or 2 seedlings in a pot and then adding a bunch of seed so hopefully people were getting nice "thick" plants when some of the seed germinated to add to the little seedlings.)

If you're asking about the seed, nothing special. Just wait till the seed pods turn brown/tan and are pretty well dry--the seed comes out very easily when they're dry if you're wondering exactly when to collect it, but if you wait too long it'll be falling out all over the place. If you want to start new plants from seed instead of digging up seedlings that come up on their own, collect seed from the different plants, mix it all up and put a bunch of seed (a dozen or so!) in a small pot and plant whatever germinates as one plant. Winter sowing would work well--or they're VERY easy to start any time of the year!

Most of them will probably turn out to be the colors you already have, but you never know for sure what they'll look like till they bloom. Could be real interesting adding yellow to the genome! (You might want to pick up a cheap pack of commercial mixed single Alcea seed and start a couple from that too to add "new blood" to what you have now for possible different color combinations.)

Skybird

Sponsored
DryHome Roofing & Siding, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars82 Reviews
Loudon Co. Roofing, Siding & Exterior Remodeler Best of Houzz 5 times!