Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shpigford

Best place to buy 'mature' trees in Denver area?

shpigford
14 years ago

Where are good places to buy "mature" trees (thinking 2-3 inch trunk) in and around Denver?

I'm looking for some sort of Maple or Ash.

The ones I've seen at Home Depot are just too wimpy for what I need. :)

(Note, I tried searching here first but search seems to be down on the site.)

Comments (4)

• Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado
    14 years ago

Hi SH,

PaulinoÂs carries BIG trees, but theyÂre going to be expensive and need to be deliveredÂand probably planted for you tooÂunless you have a BIG truck, and probably a fork liftÂand lots and lots, and lots of help! They carry all sizes.

And Timberline carries some pretty big ones too, but wonÂt have as much of a selection as PaulinoÂs when it comes to trees.

IÂm sure there are other places, but those are the best two I know of in the Metro area.

Skybird

• Dan _Staley (5b Sunset 2B AHS 7)
    14 years ago

Nick's has a good supply right now and IMO cheaper than Tagawa; Paulino's usu has 15 gals. I wouldn't buy ash due to lilac and emerald ash borers, and maple is subject to chlorosis around here. Swamp white oak, KY coffeetree, London plane, chinkapin oak are good choices.

Dan

• bpgreen
    14 years ago

If your goal is to have big trees faster, starting with larger trees may backfire on you.

I don't have a link to the article, but I read that the larger trees tend to get shocked more when transplanted and after a couple of years, smaller trees planted at the same time are often larger. The larger trees are also more likely to die due to the transplant shock.

• austinnhanasmom
    14 years ago

I agree with bpgreen. I've heard that it takes a year per diameter of trunk to re-establish the roots.

I can't recommend a local shop because I have purchased all of my trees from Harmony Gardens in Fort Collins - well worth the delivery charge IMO. I have purchased about 50 trees from them and never lost a single one.

When I lived in Longmont, I bought 5' CO blue spruce - maybe 6 of them. Feeling like they were too small, I bought a few 8 footers. The 8' trees never really adapted before I moved. The 5' trees at least caught up, if not surpassed the big ones. The extra cost for the big ones was never realized.

My current yard is 6 years old and have many maples (recommend Autumn Blaze) and a purple ash. They are finally taking off, planted 4 or 5 years ago. They were about 2.5" in diameter at planting and have at least doubled.

I started with decent looking trees (had to be placed in the holes with a trolley) and deep root water them monthly - all year. In the spring, I pound those tree food spikes around the roots.

I must say the neighbors ask why my trees are so much bigger then theirs, when our landscaping was done at the same time. Food and water!!

I also prune religiously, to direct/improve the growth. It must be an OCD because I cannot look at most trees without imagining how they would look pruned!!