Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Does anyone know what this plant is?

Posted by lillybit 5b - Colo Sprgs (My Page) on
Fri, May 21, 10 at 11:56

Hello Everyone,

I'm hoping someone knows that this plant is. It's growing wild in my backyard next to my shed. It's more of a bush with long 'branches', has lots of yellow flowers with a slightly sweet smell. My neighbors, 2 doors down, also have had one of these plants pop up in their back yard as well, although not at large as mine.

I appreciate any input... :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Picture of the plant

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Does anyone know what this plant is?

You can't link to a displayed attachment. You want to open a Photobucket/Flickr/etc account, upload the pix there, then post the link. I suspect Genista lyida with the timing, but try the picture sharing site.

Dan

o

Thanks Dan.. I've attached a new link with Photobucket. I looked up Genista lyida and that's not it...

Here is a link that might be useful: Picture of Mystery Plant

o

Hi everyone...I am new here but have been lurking for years. ☺ I am wondering if this plant is a yellow flowering current. I had a volunteer come up in my yard several years ago and finally figured out that that was what it was. Yours sounds very similar to mine Lillybit. I couldn't pull up your photo though.

o

• Posted by skybird z5, Denver, CO (My Page) on
    Fri, May 21, 10 at 15:29

I don't have any idea what the plant is (tho I just checked a pic of yellow flowering currant, and I bet CeltyLass is right!) but I just wanted to say welcome to RMG to both of you, LillyBit and CeltyLass! We're glad you've both decided to register and join us! New (green) blood is always welcome around here!

And I bet Dan will be along shortly to verify that it's that currant!

Welcome, both of you, to RMG,
Skybird

o

Thanks Celtylass... I think you might be right.. (I don't know what I did wrong with the picture, but have another link that hopefully works). If it is a yellow flowering currant, won't the berries be edible then? That would be awesome!! :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Mystery Plant

o

Ribes odoratum going with the one pic. Second doesn't work. Edible frs., we're going to plant 'Crandall' as soon as I get the extra soil to mound up.

I'm fascinated with the volunteers popping up, I wish the birds would do that around here...

And what Skybird said. Welcome.

Dan

o

Thanks Dan. I'm convinced you're all correct and a volunteer 'Crandall' is now gracing my back yard. Really, it's a quite beautiful plant. :) I'm really looking forward to the currant berries this fall.. With as big as the plant is and the numerous blooms.. I would think I should have an abundance of berries come fall. Currant jam is the first thing that comes to mind.. :)

And Thanks for the welcome!

o

Heads up from another Colo Spgs gardener....if you want currents, you'll have to cover that bush.
Squirrels will fight you for them!

o

Thanks for the welcome! I have found that this plant does not like wet feet at all. It does smell divine when it is in bloom! Sure wish this wind would stop!!

o

Maybe Santa can bring you a berry rake for an early giftie. Much easier.

Dan

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here