Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Natural Protection for Roses & Shrubs Against Diseases & Insects

Posted by valygirl 7a (My Page) on
Mon, May 12, 14 at 12:09

Hello, I would appreciate suggestions for sprays or something you can do IN ADVANCE to protect plants against diseases, aphids, etc. I used to use Bayer products until someone on Amazon posted that they are toxic to honey bees. I would like to protect newly planted roses. Also every year my Rose of Sharon shrubs are attacked by aphids & last year my Autumn Amber Sumacs were covered with them. Also, Coneflower plants get nice & full & then the leaves get huge holes in them. Assuming this is grasshoppers?

Thanks so much for your help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Natural Protection for Roses & Shrubs Against Diseases & Inse

I read that onions and chives help keep aphids off of roses, so last year I planted some chives by both of mine. Can't say at this point if it's helping or not, but figured it's worth a shot, and the purple flowers look nice :)

Here's an article about it, with more info on other companion planting: http://homeguides.sfgate.com/companion-plants-really-keep-aphids-away-roses-31294.html

o

I think you should research neem oil and see if it will fit the bill for your needs. I mix only a few ounces of neem oil with a few ounces of dyna gro pro tect silicon supplement with about 32 ounces of water in a standard hardware store spray bottle. I apply it in the evenings after the heat of the day when I notice aphids on plants. Works like a charm. You will need to reapply if you see the aphids or feeding reappearing, but it only takes a few seconds to spray a mist over the aphids and the adjacent leaves.

It sounds like you are interested in a product that will be safe and effective, which this fits that description. It is extracted from the seeds of the neem tree found in Afro-tropical regions. I've seen a video of a guy drinking it.

It is so safe I have used it as a lotion to repel Mosquitos in a mixture of coconut oil. Doesn't smell real great so the coconut oil hides the neem odor, but it works and I don't have to use DEET.

In my opinion, spraying plants with insecticides without insects as a preventive measure only enables insects to build a resistance to the active ingredients. The neonicitinoids in Bayer products are suspected of causing colony collapse disorder in honey bees. No need to mess with the pollinators to kill a few aphids.

The huge holes in the Echinacea's may be grasshoppers, but might be earwigs or something else. The neem oil will for sure deter the foliar feeding if you can keep applying when you notice it.

I gave a few ounces to a guy starting apple trees from seed he brought to Colorado from Michigan. He had aphids in the worst way and the neem oil killed and deterred subsequent issues after only three sprays within a week.

Anyhow, I hope this helps and you can avoid insecticidal use without a target.

Here is a link that might be useful: Neem oil

o

Thanks so much, that sounds very interesting. I am looking up Neem oil right now on the 'net!

o

My roses get aphids every year - I start with water blasts to knock them off of the plants, but if that doesn't do it I turn to NEEM oil. It's awesome, even cured my apple tree's ongoing woolly aphid infestation.
I use it sparingly and only when I feel things have gotten out of hand bug-wise, but it really does the trick.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here