Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can I put ferns outside for the summer?

Posted by ilovepink (My Page) on
Sat, May 3, 08 at 12:14

I have a deck that faces East. It gets most of it's sun obviously in the early a.m. Then during the day it gets hardly any direct light.

Could I hang ferns?

If not what suggestions do you have for hanging baskets? I have never had any good luck with flowers in this spot. My neighbor across from me always has the biggest most gorgeous geraniums!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can I put ferns outside for the summer?

Hi Love Pink,

Yes, you should be able to hang ferns outside over summerbut not yet. Id say not until its consistently around 50 or higher overnite, and, even then, be prepared to bring them in overnite if its gonna get much colder.

When you do want to put them out, slowly acclimate them to the direct sun. Put them out for maybe a half hour the first couple days, then up to an hour for a couple days, and gradually a little bit longer to be sure you dont burn them. Theyd recover, but theyd probably look really bad for quite a while if they got sunburned. (The leaves on most plants will turn white looking if they get sunburnednot sure about a fern.)

If you want to try something else, impatiens or begonias should work in the light conditions youre describingor coleus is another possibility. And for something trailing you could add some "vinca vine," the large leaf vinca (Vinca major) thats sold with the bedding plants in spring. There are white variegated and yellow variegated ones that are real nice.

Does your neighbor also have an eastern exposure? If so, ask what kinds of geraniums she/he uses. There are geraniums that work well in hanging basketsivy geraniums, etc.but I think theyd need more than a couple hours of direct sun. Not sure about that! You also might want to watch closely for a couple days to see if youre getting more sun than you think you are. If so, it could be that the plants youve tried in the past didnt like how they were being watered, and adjusting watering might make you more successful. Hanging baskets can be hard to manage in our dry climate.

Happy spring,
Skybird

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here