Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rfgardener

gardening with clay, alkaline, well water and wind

RFgardener
10 years ago

I am wondering if anyone else is trying to garden with my subject conditions. We are in the country where juniper, pinion, and cholla usually grow. We are at 5700 ft.,dry windy, and have every critter known to man. Have well water that has high dissolved solids and is alkaline. Ground is mostly clay. We have been here for 8 years and have amended alot and have had some success with limited plants. Even had a decent garden a couple of years. Just wanting to know if anyone has tried and had success with any methods in particular. We are working on some wind control and partial sun shading. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

Comments (6)

• jaliranchr
    10 years ago

Pretty similar situation across the mountain west and high plains. The soil is just naturally sweet (alkaline) so you amend it to a reasonable level and try to maintain that. Many plants like a sweet soil. To counter the wind, grow plants that don't get too tall. So tall cosmos, poppies, etc. are a bit problematic, but not impossible in the right place. Clay soil is the norm. Just keep amending it. It never ends for most of us. I have very hard water but other than the water spot on everything, it is not problematic for gardening. You aren't alone, RF. We all understand. Stay with it, it takes time. :)

• b2alicia
    10 years ago

Hi RF,
    I'm pretty new to gardening myself, but the clay, and dry conditions, and windy days sound about right. ;)

I try to find plants that like dry hot days and alkaline soil, that say "hardy growers".

Good luck! I think you'll find lots of support and sympathy here.

• gjcore
    10 years ago

Not always easy gardening here! It seems like you're dealing with the clay situation by amending. The more compost and mulch the better. You might look into some cover crops to help break up the clay such as alfalfa or sunflowers. Raised beds can get you out the clay situation quite a bit.

The water is what it is and you'll need to deal with it.

Not easy to bring down the soil PH permanently. Best thing is compost to tame it some. Do you know your PH?

For seedlings straw bales can working effectively as a wind block plus straw is usually handy in the garden. Long term you could grow hedges placed upwind of the vegetables.

• margaretmontana
    10 years ago

I have clay, alkalai and hard water. I have used truck loads of leaves and manure, compost and then went to raised beds and hauled in soil for the raised beds and still add to it and usually get a decent garden. Sometimes wind and I use row covers and walls of water to get an earlier start along with tall hoop house. It is a challenge most years with the cold nights.

• david52 Zone 6
    10 years ago

Wind, clay, alkaline soil and water ..... sounds about right :-)

As others have said, its all about amending the soil - I'm approaching levels bordering on fanaticism re adding organic matter - compost, leaves, any and everything.

As for plants, two of the best sources for ideas I've found are the 'plant select' series (see link) and High Country Gardens - unfortunately, the later went out of business, has recently been bought by someone else, and they are having 'issues'. But their catalog is a great place to start.

Here is a link that might be useful: link to plant select

• treebarb Z5 Denver
    10 years ago

RFgardener,

Ditto to everything said above. I will add that the well water is compounding the problem. My last well test said the same thing. I seem to remember the term not suitable for plant growth was used. Lovely!

I've installed rain barrels on the eaves of the house to capture good water as infrequently as it comes and use it for a few plants I really want to have, but that struggle with alkaline conditions. Do you have access to other water sources? Bottled, city, irrigation, etc?

For the most part, I've learned to go with plants that can handle the alkaline. For conifers I've planted junipers, pinons, etc and the last few years have added a few others like Bosnian, Lacebark, Ponderosa and Southwestern White Pine. Colorado Blue Spruce cultivars are doing ok, but the Serbian and Oriental spruces are struggling, as are Doug and Concolor fir. It may be more of a high wind/drought issue than alkaline soil and water.

The deciduous trees that are handling the conditions are Chinkapin Oak, Kentucky Coffee, Linden, Honeylocust, Catalpa, Hawthorne, Apple, Pear and Apricot. Siberian Elm, Ash and Willow volunteer and I let them unless they pop up too close to the house. I know the list seems limiting, but you'll be happier in the long run if you go with what wants to grow in sweet conditions. It will help if you get your ph number, both in soil and water and go with plants that can handle that range.