Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
angelinagardens

Euphorbia myrsinites?

angelinagardens
13 years ago

Hi everyone,

I have a plant on the edge of my lawn that I just love, but it is inconveniently located. (My husband has to dodge it with the lawn mower, and one hot summer day, it will probably get mowed.) I think it might be Euphorbia myrsinites, at least from the internet searching I have done. I think it is very beautiful, but it looks like it is also considered an invasive plant here in Colorado. Has anyone had any experience with this plant, good or bad? Is there anything special I should do when I try to move it to a new location?

Angel

Comments (6)

• Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado
    13 years ago

Hi Angel,

I hate to discourage anyone when it comes to plants, but this one of those times when I need to be the bearer of bad news! Euphorbia myrsinites is on the A List of Noxious Weeds here in Colorado, which means itÂs "designated by the Commissioner for eradication."

It can "shoot" its seeds as far as 15', and seeds are also carried by wind, water, birds and other wildlife. As it spreads it crowds out native plants and the latex sap is toxic to wildlife, livestockÂand humans.

I donÂt have time to live link them, but here are a bunch of sites with relevant info. And donÂt feel badÂyouÂre not the first person IÂve had to tell that they have things on the Colorado Noxious Weed List! I donÂt know if people have chosen to remove or keep growing the things IÂve told them about, but over the years IÂve become much more aware of how bad plants truly have to be to make it to the Noxious Weed List, especially the A List, so I would recommend getting rid of it.

Interestingly, one of the most useful sites I found was from Longmont! There are other sites from all over Colorado, when you start looking.

http://www.ci.longmont.co.us/code_enf/ord/documents/myrtle_noxious_weed.pdf

http://coopext.colostate.edu/Adams/weed/myrtlespurge.htm

[GW wouldn't let me link one of the sites! If I have a chance, I'll email it to you! Big Brother sees all!!! And they can do their own NASTY active in-text links, but when I want to link to a commercial site (that might compete with them) I can't! RANT!!!]

http://sowwhat.net/

And linked below is the Colorado Noxious Weed List. Scroll halfway down for the actual lists.

Sorry for the bad news,
    Skybird

P.S. ThereÂs something I absolutely must get done right now, but IÂll be back to both you and RMG in a couple days about the swap! Sorry for the delay!

Here is a link that might be useful: State of Colorado Noxious Weed List

• angelinagardens
    Original Author
    13 years ago

thanks, Skybird! I'm sad - I really love this plant. It is so interesting to look at, and it requires literally nothing from me in upkeep. I haven't tried to cut it, touch it, pick it, etc. But it lessens my pleasure to know that it is a noxious weed. I'll take a look at the links and decide what to do...

Angel

• jclepine
    13 years ago

I have to admit I'm one of the ones who was told that her perfectly lovely daisies were noxious weeds!

I have had to pull six different weeds since we moved in. I'm guessing the previous tenant did not care too much. Scentless chamomile, oxeye daisy, dalmation toadflax, Canada thistle (I think), some kind of cinquefoil, bindweed and some others I can't remember the names of. I hated having to pull that daisy! But, I'm glad the little ecosystem stays happy.

The ones I pull do seem to lessen each year when they come back, so that is encouraging.

You could do a search to see if there is another Euphorbia that is similar but not invasive.

• angelinagardens
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Good idea - I will see what is similar and non-offensive. I love any kind of hardy succulent - the symmetry, the color, the shape - so I am sure I will find something appealing. My husband will yank it this week. I can't run the risk that my toddler will touch it. Thanks for the (sad) news, Skybird!

Angel

• bexay6211
    13 years ago

I had that in the "garden" when i moved in.. it was everywhere! Im glad i didnt like it too well, but i ripped it out, be sure to wear gloves and put them in plastic bags so no one comes in contact with the "sap" i got a tiny bit on me and got what i describe as chemical burns.

• greenbean08_gw
    13 years ago

My neighbor had some of it planted at her house sometime before I moved there 2 years ago. We both still find some here and there (though I'm not quite sure which year she removed the main source).